vocals in mono too quiet and muffled, any help?

I think we're all on that page now... ;)

Some of the confusion may be in the terminology. "Channel" gets used for different things, and "right track" can mean either the opposite to left, or it can mean the "correct track". Some people might call the two halves of a stereo track left and right channels and others might refer to them as them inputs or even tracks.

To wind back to your picture 2 below. If I record my mono mic to a stereo track in Audacity I get the exact reverse. The sound records to the top half of that track - which might get called the "left channel", "left input" or various other descriptions, depending on who is talking, and how they think of it. I don't know why yours goes to the bottom, that seems wrong.

If you record something that has genuine stereo capability, down two separate cables, you'll get a signal on both the top and bottom lines. Hooking your piano up via the inputs 1 and 2 at the back, as you do, should be fine.

However, it's common to record mostly as a series of mono tracks, unless they genuinely need to be stereo. Your finally mix will of course be in stereo, but that's another issue. So I might have vocals, bass, lead, rhythm, various bits of the drum kit such as kick, snare, etc all on individual mono tracks. There might even be backing vocals, harmonies, main vocal sung again, or whatever, but all on their own separate mono track. You gain nothing by trying to record your mic on a stereo track.

The puzzle is why your channels seem out of whack...

69180d1326070727-vocals-mono-too-quiet-muffled-any-help-vocal-help2-jpg

That makes sense to me . . . they are completely messed up then. It started happening on the old computer so i cant really blame anything on the actual machines. It must be the preamp then?
If I were to buy a new one, do you think that would solve the issue?

Best thread of the month award goes to?

It isn't often that a thread derail ends up entertaining as well as informative.

By the way, nice to meet you Leena. Great voice you have there. Amazing actually. I am sure you will do great things with it.

I think Steenamaroo hit the spot. The input's messed up somewhere. It looks like you're recording two things (vocals and piano) on one side of the same stereo track and one (just piano) on the other side.

69207d1326240040-vocals-mono-too-quiet-muffled-any-help-vocal-help6-jpg

You should have two separate tracks - a stereo one for the piano and a mono one for the vocals.

Last edited:
I think Steenamaroo hit the spot. It looks like you're recording two things (vocals and piano) on one side of the same stereo track and one (just piano) on the other side.

That's not what i was sayin, but don't worry about it. This thread's pretty looped now! lol.

That makes sense to me . . . they are completely messed up then. It started happening on the old computer so i cant really blame anything on the actual machines. It must be the preamp then?
If I were to buy a new one, do you think that would solve the issue?

Nah, it's cool.
Everything's doing exactly what it's supposed to do.

The only confusing thing is how to tell audacity to record from input two, but you've got that sorted now right?

Best thread of the month award goes to?

It isn't often that a thread derail ends up entertaining as well as informative.

By the way, nice to meet you Leena. Great voice you have there. I am sure you will do great things with it.

This is a fun thread. Who cares about the stupid mic, lets party! haha

clears throat* no ok, seriously.
I'm thinking I might buy a new preamp....good or bad idea?

Oh, and lovely to meet you too Jimmy. :-)

That's not what i was sayin, but don't worry about it. This thread's pretty looped now! lol.

I was referring to your comment that "It's all over the place". It is.. ;)

My current guess is that she's getting the piano on both sides and that the vocals are somehow being added to the bottom line.

I was referring to your comment that "It's all over the place". It is.. ;)

My guess is that she's getting the piano on both sides and that the vocals are somehow being added to the bottom line.

Im comparing old recordings now with one that ive just made with the mono setting - right channel and there is deffinite quality loss. Im a perfectionist when it comes to getting the best I can get. If i knew I was doing better before I wont be able to make songs until Im doing it to that standard again.

A lot of people will say it sounds fine but its really not . . . as soon as you put it against a backing track or add any reverb it just loses itself and sounds horrible.

I guess I just need to find out why its only recording on the bottom line . . . It never used to do that. I really should just get my arse in gear and take my shit down to allans music in the city and see if they can help me out. They were quite nice to me in there last time.

Maybe if someone can actually look at the problem with me it might be easier.

You guys have all been super sweet. I'd buy you all a drink for your help . . .

Perhaps I'll write a song for you all called "threesome in a forum" :guitar:

Well leena, It might not be a bad idea, but I honestly don't think anything's wrong at all.

If there's a slight quality difference to your previous recordings, I reckon it's gona be down to the sound of the room your in, or your distance from the mic, but that mic/preamp combo is certainly working as it should be.

It's only recording on the bottom line because the top line is 'input one' on your interface which has nothing plugged into it.

Your mic is a mono source so the way everything's working is correct. That's how it should be.

Mine's a guinness btw. :) Cheers.

Well leena, It might not be a bad idea, but I honestly don't think anything's wrong at all.

If there's a slight quality difference to your previous recordings, I reckon it's gona be down to the sound of the room your in, or your distance from the mic, but that mic/preamp combo is certainly working as it should be.

Mine's a guinness. :)

that would make sense if I had changed room s or the distance Im singing but I've always sung here in this corner of my house. I havent changed a single thing. the cables, the equipment. The only thing that's new here is the computer but like i said, I had this problem arise on my old one.

I really dont like the quality of the sound and I do believe it's because its not recording on the top line as it should be.
The older recordings sound so crisp and clean where as the new ones sound roomy and spacey.

I really dont like the sound of it enough to want to work with it. Its even more noticable when Im just talking. I need to do some voice over work for my videos and it just doesnt sound nice with all that room ambience behind the vocals.

I know im whining....I just hate bad quality work, espercially if its mine. :-(

Ahh, the joys of an open forum. By the way, neither are true.
Aww Jim, I'd love to argue in your defence but......em...well....

Leena, fair enough; I can't argue with you.
Sorry, I can't think of anything else that would help.

The only reason the recording would show on the top and bottom half is if it's a stereo track with both sides recording from channel 2.
Mathematically that's just the same thing as you're doing now though so....I honestly duno what to tell you. Sorry.

Jesus H. 10 pages!!!!:eek:

Next time I have a question, I'll make sure I change my name to RAMILINA. :p

Aww Jim, I'd love to argue in your defence but......em...well....

Leena, fair enough; I can't argue with you.
Sorry, I can't think of anything else that would help.

The only reason the recording would show on the top and bottom half is if it's a stereo track with both sides recording from channel 2.
Mathematically that's just the same thing as you're doing now though so....I honestly duno what to tell you. Sorry.

Ok, well I think you guys have probably helped me enough so its time for me to annoy the lads down at the music shop. I'll let you know how I get on and thankyou so, so, so much for all the time and effort and patience you guys gave me.
Your all super cool.

forum hugs*

Back