Vocal Technique

chess

CHESS, That's a whole different story and least of my concerns for now. As I said I haven't done much singing and my project is mainly solo , with guests of course and as of now myself and a couple others are laying out the prod. at home here in Chicagoland and when set am hoping to get on Alligator or a similar Blues label. Take Care and thanks for your concerns.
Appreciate it.

mgiles7 said:
I take lessons from a woman that studied with the great Mario del Monaco, so It is kind of like being taught directly from him. Often she will tell me Sing but don't "sing" or don't think of it as a higher note....It is just another note - don't grab for it - Think of everything horizontally not Vertically. And she would actually have me sing a couple measures while following a horizontal line on the wall or something. Half of our lessons are, Her tricking my brain into not using my throat to sing, it is very wierd but effective. You will be amazed at what you can do if you stop thinking up and down while you sing, Because if you are thinking...Oh my Gosh here comes that high A, I better be ready - You are naturally going to grab in your throat or push tooo hard in your support and it is not going to sound as good as if it is just another note. Well I have to go, I will try and add more later.

:rolleyes:

Matt

I think this is so true. And, I think I knew it without realizing I knew it, but it is good to see it put down in words. I know exactly what you mean by the horizontal thing, but it is hard to remember when you're nervous about that high note. It's like concentrating to not concentrate. Or it's kind of like looking at one of those 3D pictures. You really don't have to do anything to see it because it is just there. If you try to force yourself to see it, then you could be there for hours and never see anything. But, if you just relax you finally see this image so clearly and effortlessly that you feel you can walk right into it, and wonder how you ever missed it in the first place. I guess that is why singing is such a great percentage mental. But I would never have been able to have put it in words that gave such a graphic view. Thanks Matt!

t

Langleyt -

I'm glad I could help! So many incredibly nice people on here (skippy, Harvey and Mark H. to name a few) have been so gacious to help me out and give me suggestions on equipment to buy and how to use them, that it feels good to be able to give back something you feel confident talking about.

I would have to say that the voice is the most complicated insturment on the planet IMHO, because of all the variables that go into it. There is so much tension in LIFE in general and all the stress and tension of ones day HAS to be controlled within the context of singing. If someone has a crappy day and they go home and bang on there guitar or wail on there sax, often times it will sound better because of the emotion within there playing. Not so with MOST singers (not that there isn't emotion in singing it just can't override good tecnique and mental awareness to where you have bad habits come in). I don't recomend wailing (singing) away the stress in your life, because your voice will not last very long if that is a consistant habit. My teacher is very abstract and visual in her teaching, which works very well because I am a very imaginative person, and I would say that most on ths website would fall into that category with the majority of the posts I have read. She will often talk about the "creatures" in me that want to sing a certain way (usually the wrong way) and how to either ignore them or trick them into doing it the way it should be done with physical exercises.

Example - Try doing a simple exercise of 1-5-5-54321 in a Ve-ha-ha-ah-ah-ah as you are going from the 1 to the 5 be standing next to something waist level that you can pull up on without actually being able to lift it - like a ledge or a piano or a heavy table. The "creatures" are telling me to reach for the 5 and to strain my throat to make sure it is onn pitch and that I have the perfect virbrato....etc... But by the simple action of pulling up on something, all of a sudden the "creatures" are tricked into kicking in the support and not straining. Ok this is a very wierd thing but works very efficiantly with me. another exercise is pushing yourself off a wall as you are going to the 5th or even an octave exercise. try some of these and tell me how they work for you. it may really suck and do nothing for you, but I have a feeling it will help your support and relieve tension in your neck and shoulder area. Also starting out a scale exercise with a V or Z sound has really helpped keep my singing on the breath. Because it takes a certain amount of air and a certain type of air flow to spit out that paticular consenant. So start out with a V or Z sound and immediatly go into an E vowel sound and then straight into the open Ah.

Chess & Zip - I agree with both your comments about using "your own" voice and staying withinn the context of what you voice is best suited for and have really enjoyed listening to your ideas. Keep posting!

Matt

Last edited:
ATTENTION ZIP ATTENTION ZIP

WARNING WARNING

Someone or some persons have stolen you
Home recording.com password & has been using your
account to do the following;

1) Type posts & sign them either FS or Zip.

2) Make strange & obscure statements about the movement,
controlling & observations of others' Adams apple.

3) Type extremely defensive posts when one simply has a
different point of view.

4) Seem to not have any kind of job or interests, for they seem
to post continually with in a small space of time, expecting others
to be waiting for the imposters posts & have nothing better to do.

5) Seems to have all the stereotypical qualities of a singer,
arrogance, defensiveness, no sense of humor, ECT...

ZIP if you get this message,
contact a HR.com mediator immediately!

This person or persons are making you look like a complete ass hole.

Good Luck Up Standing Member,

Sean

hmm..

<quote><b>It's really easy to say..."Hey - just relax and let it flow...think horizontally....."

But I want to know how THAT description is going to help anyone improve tone. </b></quote>

Damn fucking right. Fuckin' liberalist nature singers ;)

wes...

Thanks for the good laugh...

To clarify one point. The adams apple description is strictly a visulization (as are most of my points) to keep the throat from clenching while singing...

Although I did laugh about it wes...mgiles has an interesting concept about thinking horizontally...

...another visulization to trick your mind into not thinking about technique. I tried it yesterday and it actually helped! I was outside glancing at the horizon while singing - good visualization.

For me - the trick is to focus on technique while practicing and doing exercises then try not to think of anything at all except the emotion I am trying to convey while actually performing.

zip >>

From Zip

"For me - the trick is to focus on technique while practicing and doing exercises then try not to think of anything at all except the emotion I am trying to convey while actually performing."

That is it! In practice and exercise you get the feeling of what you body should be doing and how to relax, so that when you perform you just naturaly do those things. That way your emotion and character (if you are doing a play or Opera) can take over without you worrying about loosing your tecnique - by repitition your instincts take over and you are free to get lost inthe music while you body takes over on the technical side. Very cool. But it takes a lot of repitition and practice to come to that place!

"Damn fucking right. Fuckin' liberalist nature singers"

Wes480 -

I am not sure what to think of that. If you are implying that I hug tree's as I sing, you are mistaken......

;)

Matt

Re: wes...

zip said:

For me - the trick is to focus on technique while practicing and doing exercises then try not to think of anything at all except the emotion I am trying to convey while actually performing.

zip >>

Exactly....!

Your the man Zip :)

Hey...cool....

folks are agreeing with me. :)

And Matt...

I think wes was jus' trying to lighten things up a bit. It worked for me. ;):)

nature singer = tree hugger.... :D

Now that's damn funny... I'm confused though. If you were hugging a tree wouldn't it make it damn near impossible to think horizontally?? Unless - of course - it was a fallen tree....

......hmmmmmmmmm......

.......or if you are quite muscular you could be hugging it with your body parrallel to the ground......:D

Matt

beer, pepto and body orientation...

I could drink the beer and pepto while huggin a tree in a parallel orientation WHILE singing....

Ah hell. Just give me the beer. :D

Tommy, best of luck in your recording endeavors.
I love "Chicago Blues"-the mighty Wolf, Sonny Boy Williamson II,
etc. AND those guys usually played, sang and performed their
instruments live without a safety net while they were recorded!

My goal as a singer is to be able to punch "record" and that's it.
No comping the vocal-let alone ever using Autotune.
(although I'm curious about using Autotune as a training device)

Autotune...

I was curious and used the demo once...

http://www.antarestech.com/download/index.html

It's interesting and does work but I'm not sure if it will help as a training tool. In preview mode I believe you can see the # of cents sharp or flat you are but if you have a good ear you can usually hear it as well...

I don't think I will use it regularly or buy it but what I did like is if you really hit a good passage but BARELY miss one note - it will fix it without the need for punch-ins... (for instance if the one note is at the limit of your range)

anyway you can play with it for free...

zip >>

I like this warm-up exercise...

...although not near as creative as the stuff mgiles does...;)

...hey - I'm old school - what can I say. :D

To warm up I like to start with a basic major scale 1-3-5-3-1 with 1 being the scale root of course. I start in the lower part of my range and usually with the vowel A. I'll sing the progression once or twice - really concentration on the TONE. Then I'll start progressing the root up in whole steps...repeating the 1-3-5-3-1 scale until I reach the upper end of my range.

I'll then repeat the whole process with the other vowels...

Usually I followed by O,U and finally E....

The key in this exercise for me is to really concentrate on the tone of each note as I float up and down the scales....

Not rocket science - but it works for me...

Back