Vocal Technique

Wow! I finally feel like I am adding something to this website! instead of posting nonsense and asking a bunch of dumb questions......How exhilarating. ;)

Matt

Smellyfuzz.....

"Zip,
You are obviously a beginner, from where I sit, you should
concentrate on being a student & wait a while before you decide to
teach, for I also have a lot of problems with your original post of
singing methods.

Last edited by smellyfuzz on 02-05-2002 at 23:12"

PLEASE quote exactly what I said....

What exactly did I say which makes me a beginner??

And what makes you the expert? I want to hear this...

Make sure you read WHO signed the post before you do...

QUOTE IT!!!

BTW...I am NO Beginner I assure you.

"Ab-so-fuckin-lute-ly!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS IS THE WAY I WAS TAUGHT FOR 10 YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!

I see too much talk here about breathing, placement, throwing your gut out, pulling your stomach in, and more & more crap that just confuses the beginning.

Singing is "ALL" about producing a beautiful sound & preserving your voice for the long hall, all this other "science" I'm not to pleased with, some of it I completely disagree with.

BRAVO, mgiles7, for the GREAT, GREAT post!

Post her name & contact info,
She seems to be the right kind of singing coach!

Sean

And Sean...

Who said I THINK about anything while I SING?? I don't. What I was describing is a VISUALIZATION FOR PRACTICE. Do you think I actually say to myself...."here comes that high note...ADAMS APPLE DOWN - ARCH UP??" Hell no I don't...because I know what to do and do it naturally.

BTW...I'll sit all day and wait for those quotes....

"I would also say what you call an error would better be stated as a difference of opinion."

FS stated this earlier and I think it is correct.
For those that are reading this and are gleaning wisdom and learning, It would be helpful to them if we kept our disputes at a minimum. Not trying to be a jerk, I just don't want people to loose intrest because the thread is bogged down by personal feelings and arguments. We obviously all have studied and know what works for us, But none of us can say it is the only way to go, or if you don't do this it is wrong...and so forth. So lets just tell the good people what we have learned and they can take it from there and find out what works for them.

Matt - Newbie peacemaker

"Can't we all just get along?"

;)

Matt

Although I appreciate your efforts at peacemaking I WANT smellywhatever to respond to me.

To be honest I'm not sure he's talking about what I said but that's not important...

You just don't go around telling people to sit back and listen because you are a beginner without backing it up.

I've probably been singing longer than he is old.

Then after he tells me WHAT makes me a beginner I want him to start a new thread and shed his fucking wisdom on us.

It's really easy to say..."Hey - just relax and let it flow...think horizontally....."

But I want to know how THAT description is going to help anyone improve tone. What I wrote were simply EXAMPLES of what to feel while singing...only intended for use during PRACTICE.

Furthermore if I am a beginner then please throw in Freddie Mercury, Steve Perry, James LaBrie, Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey and a host of other singers into the beginner category.

THEY ALL sing this way....WATCH THEM!! So I guess if they are beginners...call me one because they all are outstanding.

Thanks - but I'm still going to wait for his opinions...

zip >>

You on the ball.

mgiles7 said:
"I would also say what you call an error would better be stated as a difference of opinion."

FS stated this earlier and I think it is correct.
For those that are reading this and are gleaning wisdom and learning, It would be helpful to them if we kept our disputes at a minimum. Not trying to be a jerk, I just don't want people to loose intrest because the thread is bogged down by personal feelings and arguments. We obviously all have studied and know what works for us, But none of us can say it is the only way to go, or if you don't do this it is wrong...and so forth. So lets just tell the good people what we have learned and they can take it from there and find out what works for them.

Matt - Newbie peacemaker

"Can't we all just get along?"

;)

I couldn't agree more. It would be nice if some people felt like they could ask questions without thinking they are going to start an argument amung us.
I would not dare to say any of you are doing it wrong. You are doing it how you like. And you trust your teachers. That's great!
Don't forget a teacher may explain something to one student one way and to another in a totaly different way. The teachers job is to get the point across, how ever he/she can. So once again just beacuse my teacher told me this, and yours told you that, we may in the end be doing the same thing.?.? no need for argument you can simply say I was told to do it like this. Not...... your wrong, your a beginner, ect.. Unless that is, someone is just off the wall telling you to always keep your larynx up or something;).

Later

F.S.

I agree BUT...

I still want to know what makes me a beginner....

And if I am...let the Smellyone shed some light on how to really sing...

I'll wait.

"Half of singing is physical, the other 90% is mental!"
(to paraphrase the great Yogi Berra)

Great post mgiles, it's cool to hear from you partly because your being
an ACTIVE opera student unlike myself keeps you in the vocal "groove".
My singing master won a vocal competion sponsered by Gigli when he
was 16, so he was able to become friends with him and received coaching.
He also was friends with Tito Ruffo, IMHO the greatest baritone of all time.
I admire Mario del Monaco for his gutsy singing, the hard rockers could
learn much from that guy!

P.S. In the book "Four Voices of Man", by Jerome Hines (ex-Met bass),
he talks about different vocal schools and their approaches.
There seems to be more than one way to skin the vocal cat.

PPS. zip-just saw your post, your efforts are sharing info are admirable,
it's just that vocal technique is a hot topic even amongst experts
so please don't take anything too personally as a reflection on your
abilities. I get "corrected" all the time where I sing because my high
F's and G's aren't as solid as they should be (yet)!
You listed some very strong singers, Steve Perry has my vote for best
vocal technique among pop singers-he would have made a great
operatic tenor.

"You listed some very strong singers, Steve Perry has my vote for best
vocal technique among pop singers-he would have made a great
operatic tenor."

And Mr. Perry sings exactly as I describe!

Hot topic or not - you just don't jump into a thread - call someone a beginner and tell him/her that he better listen and not teach.
Sorry but this is unacceptable to me.

If he wants to call me a beginner - fine. I KNOW what I can do and unfortunately around here this is what happens when you try to help others...

...there will always be some self centered ass who thinks he is the end all to be all about a subject and is dying to jump right in with an unjustified statement because HE REALLY HAS NOTHING TO CONTRIBUTE.

Still waiting.....

Chess-

Gili, Rufo, Hines....Some of the singers I admire most!

I have read most of Hine's book "Great singers on great singing"
and is is very good, and fun to hear the different ways the great singers approach singing. I have had many teachers tell me that my vioce most resembles Gili in color and spin.(not trying to brag...I just thought that would give a good idea to you what I sound like). I have not delved into "Four voices of man" yet I need to go pick that one up. Hines was so into finding out what made singers tick! He was a very cool guy. I actually just got done singing Rinuccio (sp? after doing the part you would think I would know how to spell it...But that is one of the weakest points in my life so...) in Puccini's "Gianni Schicchi". It was a great role, and an incredibly fun Opera to do. I think somebody recorded it on a digital camera, maybe I'll be able to post an aria someday....When I figure out all this mp3, wavfile stuff...I am so clueless....:confused:

Matt

PLEASE SIRS MORE!!!

EXCELLENT POSTS!
Though I am now just learning to sing, this info. is invaluable and I know you all have your differences in approach, etc.. and disagreements- but couldn't you possibly put them aside or privately- and continue on helping others like me that are hungry to learn; For there is a lack of good information and technique unless one has the money and time to shell out for it. Besides all that would someone please be willing to post a begineers regimen, roughly a short basic layout including lenghts of consistent practice and rest periods and what to watch out for-good & bad? There is another question that has been haunting me for yrs. and need the experts view. Is it true that you are born with a range limit and that it can never be made to reach higher notes despite all the practice in the world? For eg. I can only reach to a say g- note,[ don't know how you phrase it in vocal terms] but it's the equivalent to a g- note played on the high e-string of a guitar. On a rare day I might be able to go up 2 half steps to an A , and yes it hurts and I usually turn hoarse from it. Can this mean that cause I can reach that A note- that with proper practice I may be able to reach it without straining and incorporate it?
Appreciate any help,
TOMMY.. ..

Tommy,

I think that if you are semi-comfortable hitting a G now, with the right training and practice an A would not be to out of reach - WITH the right training and practice. As for right now, I would say stop trying to hit the A if it is making you hoarse. I will try and elaborate on this more tomorrow, and suggest some things and exercises for a bigginer to try out.

Matt

zip, posting on the internet reminds me of driving a car in traffic.
Because we lack the person to person opportunity to interact
it's so much easier for anyone to get upset about what someone
did (or what we think they should have...)
If you and smellyfuzz had the chance to meet in person it's
unlikely that you guys would have an issue over this IMHO,
because of all the communication signals missed on the internet.

Tommy, check out those books as the answers to your questions
inside! When I became interested in singing at 19 in a college
voice class my range was an octave and a third (3 notes).
Today, under expert supervision my genetic potential seems
to be at least an octave gain over that! (At least A natural over
middle C, and down to the bass-baritone's low E)
Under SELF supervision it drops down to the same on the bottom
notes and a pretty shaky F# and G natural on the top.
(therefore about 2 octaves of technically solid range)
Anyway, my point is that whatever you can do today, should
increase as time and genetics permit.

chessparov...

I realize this. I still don't think he is quoting ME. The beginning of this thread wasn't even written by ME.

Putting that aside I do things A BIT differently than Freudian does...and you do...and Mguiles...

Singing is a very individualistic art. Like playing a guitar...there are Hard Strummers, Gentile Strummers, pickers with the pick oriented in one direction or another. I am old enough and wise enough to recognize this. In retrospect - it seems Mr Smellyfuzz isn't. I mean - even if he WAS quoting me - even if he disagreed about an approach I am taking - how could he POSSIBLY CORRECTLY JUDGE me as a beginner?? This baffles me and as you can tell - pisses me off. I've seen folks disagree with Sonusman and have him become pissed off. But when it comes to recording - Ed knows his SHIT COLD. People wonder just why folks who have knowledge are sometimes prone NOT to share it here....

....maybe because they don't want to put up with the CRAP.

There is a HUGE difference between someone saying..."zip - I was taught differently and hence I disagree" - a position I would respect - and someone saying "zip - you are a beginner and should listen rather than teach" - a postion I obviously disrespect.

I think FS, myself and others (whether folks agree with OUR approach or not) have gone out of their way to put into words something which is very difficult to learn. You don't have to pat us on the back - but don't blatantly smack us in the face either.

If Smellyfuzz is man enough to respond and explain his position - I would be happy to continue teaching what I have learned over the 30+ years I have been singing. I will do this WHETHER OR NOT he agrees with my approach.

If not - in a few days - anyone who is sincerely interested in learning a bit about vocals ( by no way do I proclaim myself as a master ) can eMail me at www.zipdt777@hotmail.com

I would be happy to help.

zip >>

Finding your voice

ZIP brought out an important point that "singing is an individualistic art", and not only is this true but it is crucial to keep in mind for all musicians. I know as a guitarist and other string inst. that I have played for over 30 yrs., that it took a long time to finally develop my "own" voice,[ in re: to guitar, etc,,] and am on the never ending road to consistently improvise within myself and add on to my own foundation. With this in mind I figured it would be easy to find my own voice but suddenly I feel like I'm backed into a brick wall as I'm about to enter in a project again, but for the 1st time I'll be doing about 80% of the vocals- for I want to this time- and what I fear is that my songwriting might suffer, due to my limited exp. and knowledge of vocals and always having the somewhat " luxury" to write with the security of wide ranged vocalists. Even though I have done some singing and alot of backup/ground thru the yrs. I do not have the confidence in my voice yet. I know my range, etc..and will be practicing of course and using the tips so far mentioned here to the best of my ability;
But what I don't know yet is how to find my own true voice. I am asking this here cause from what I've read here today there are pro. vocalists and teachers here who can understand what I'm trying to relate. So in this sense specificaly I am asking for a sense of direction. TOMMY.. ..

zip, excellent point about all of us doing things differently.
FWIW, my viewpoint is that we can basically divide good
singing into 2 basic areas;

1) Adequate or better technical control to sing the material
without hurting anyone else's ears or our voice.

2) Past technical issues enough to allow reasonable freedom
for creative interpretation of the material.
(Unless you're in a cover/tribute band-just kidding!)

A "good" classical voice will have good tone and pitch control.

A "good" pop voice can either be an interesting "character"
voice and/or with a pleasant tone, as the entertainment
factor weighs in much more heavily.

P.S. I love the vocals on the "Back in Black" album by AC/DC
and many other hard rock vocals by the way.
Nature decided to give me a voice more melodic though!

Tommy, would you say your group is going to mostly build the
project around your voice rather than vice versa?
IMHO many bands make the mistake of creating the instrumental
tracks first and then try to squeeze the lead vocalist into
uncomfortable keys. having you sing the melody FIRST in a couple
of easy keys would probably give any singer more confidence.

I can totally relate...

My style is more melodic as well...so if anyone needs "Back in Black" vocal tips I will refer you to .......

.......my friend Eddie... LOL!!

I couldn't sing BIB if I tried!! Well - I could try but it wouldn't be very good.

Chessparov...

Some very good points! It is one thing to sing with good tone and pitch but trying to find your character is not easy... I often find people who aren't really great singers have much more character than I do....and it frustrates the hell outta me!! But - in fairness to me - I can hear a tune once or twice and start singing harmonies. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses.

As far as finding your "voice" - it must come naturally. One can't force fit a BIB style if when you open up and sing it sounds more like Freddie Mercury or Steve Perry...

Be true to yourself and be happy. Sure you may not ever sound like Bob Dylan but remember...Bob Dylan doesn't sing like Steve Perry. What point am I trying to make?

If you sing in a melodic fashion - write more melodic music.

If you sing like the cat from AC/DC - write music which calls for a grind to the voice.

Me - I always wanted to sing like Robert Plant. Melodic yet charismatic...Character yet control...

At best I can come close on some songs.... ;) But here's the key...and it goes back to a previous statement.... (mgiles??)

Relax and let it go. Remember - even the BEST singers in the world will miss a note or two. That's what punch-ins are for! ;) I know what you are thinking...I just heard the Back Street Boys "live" and they were perfect! Or were they?? Watch closely.......lip sync on many parts.... I'm sorry but most can't dance like that and hit it spot on! I even noticed Micheal Jackson - as good as he is - lip sync'ed a few parts during his anniversary special...

Well - back to the point...

The more you are true to your style - your abilities - your limitations and the more you just belt it out - the better your performances will become!

Always remember...you are not singing LIVE. Punch-ins and fixes are OK. Accept them! No one will hear your screw-ups but you!

...and if you are performing live... you better start practicing night and day...:)

zip >>

ps - about hurting others ears while singing... I clocked my voice at 135dB on my meter the other day... OUCH!!! LOL..... :D

That's STRANGE!!! (but true)

I was just giving the "same" advice at the same time...

do dee do do - do dee do do..... LOL

chess - I agree with what you said about pop vocals. When you look at pop vocals, the industry wants something that when you hear the voice, you identify immediately with that artist. Very few pop acts can do this musically...so, the voice is a must.

In my opinion that is one of the reasons Britney has been so much more successful than Christian Ag, Mandy Moore..or Jessica Simpson. I could listen to tracks by any of the latter three..and attribute them to either one..depending on how I am hearing it. But there is no mistaking a Britney track when you hear it. Pepsi could play their commericals on the radio, without her showing her stomach, and people would think "ah...thats Britney" immediately. Which, is what they want.

Almost any successful pop group is like that, Rivers Cuomo from Weezer...Rob Thomas from Matchbox 20 (unique..if not annoying ;) )...Dave Matthews...list goes on. Hell, John Lennon or Paul McCartney for that matter...Robert Plant.

I say all of that to say this though: I still believe that in a world of manufactured pop, someone with good vocal technique, and good pitch is going to fair much better in the game..even if they are a great entertainer to start with. For example...Anthony Keidis...from red hot chili peppers...in the studio, great sounding voice...live...he SUCKS. Goes flat on almost every pitch.

You really need to be able to carry your vocals on stage, through a PA system...and be right on key, good dynamicly, etc. Something I have worked hard at for a couple of years, and am just starting to get better at. I could always sing well in chorus/quartet...but, singing into a mic on stage with a band behind you, it's something much different.

Good technique comes in very handy....and makes the difference in your sound. But, getting used to the enviroment is just as important for a live setting.

This whole post probably said nothing - I just identified with this thread so I felt like posting!

Back