Vocal Sample

artdamage

(this is re-copied from another thread, hopefully it belongs here as well...)

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=309779

hey all. if you could read the following post in its entirety and let me know what i should do i'd be very very thankful.

i've been recording and writing my first full-length record for the last three months, and today i've been stumped by this road block. the vocal part attached below sounds great, (and it's distorted on purpose, mind you) but during and more notably, after each phrase in the vocal line one can hear a wave of unwanted high frequency distortion. i have not been able to get rid of it without sacrificing EQ.

i'm thinking i should use noise removal of some sort. i also do not want to change anything about the process of recording it, i have a deadline.

here's what i'm using.

-dell laptop
-alesis multimix 8 usb 2.0 mixer
-m-audio black box guitar processor for the vocals
-a quality studio mic

i'm using MixCraft to mix and record. i DO NOT want to apply the distortion in studio. it's impossible to get this exact tonality and distortion with MixCraft, believe me i've tried.

if anyone has effects in mind I highly prefer VST's, they work well in MixCraft. the vocal is attached at below.

any / all help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Rig Vocal.mp3
    272.7 KB · Views: 24
or you'd be better trying yourself..as me doing it wouldnt be showing you

Whats is happening is the noise floor is too high so after the vocal diminishes all your hearing is the noise...put the gate vst on the track and adjust the theshhold so that the vocal comes through then the gate comes in taking away the noise after it

Its not difficult and you should get results with very little experimentation :)

or you'd be better trying yourself..as me doing it wouldnt be showing you

Whats is happening is the noise floor is too high so after the vocal diminishes all your hearing is the noise...put the gate vst on the track and adjust the theshhold so that the vocal comes through then the gate comes in taking away the noise after it

Its not difficult and you should get results with very little experimentation :)
you doing it on my edited vocal sample would demonstrate to me that noise gating actually works... every time i've tried it on other things in the past it hasn't done a thing. then again, you probably have more experience than me. i'll get back to you and see if this works.

i think i said noise gate ;)

I did that in two minutes...maybe it could get a little better but when you distort something so much you may have to just make do with some noise..or use less distortion...i think at some point theres going to be some kind of trade off

unless someone else has an idea??

i think i said noise gate ;)

I did that in two minutes...maybe it could get a little better but when you distort something so much you may have to just make do with some noise..or use less distortion...i think at some point theres going to be some kind of trade off

unless someone else has an idea??

104 viewings on this thread, yet only you have replied. it's always the case with this forum, it's like everyone here is shy or something. i appreciate your help and will try what you said but i'm not sure if it will work for my needs. it baffles me that i can't ever get much help around here.

I'm new to recording as well but here's another idea I'd like to throw out...

If you don't want to sacrifice the distortion "quality" maybe, after you apply the gate, you can try to pinpoint that remaining fizz's frequency and try to play an instrument at the same freq to mask that unwanted noise with a more pleasing note at the same level or a tad louder to bury that freq.

As to how to pinpoint is out of my knowledge base, maybe the experts here can help out.

Not sure what else you want. I listened to the clip and didn't have anything to add to the advice you already got. Either gate it or use a volume envelope.

or as I suggested in your other thread, retrack it with a noisegate at the tracking stage...then you can fiddle with the threshold until you are happy with the sound before committing it to a recording

There is no special sauce for this, sometimes you cant fix things after they are tracked and they need to be redone, fact of life Im afraid

It doesn't sound like a good take to me brother. It sounds kind of shitty to me, but that's just my opinion.

To my ears it sounds like you're using way too much compressor/limiter. So, when your vocals are going they are compressed, but when they stop the compressor/limiter causes all the other sounds (background noise) to raise in volume.

When I first started recording I use to record with effects running at the same time because it sounded better to my ears. It's a lot easier to record them dry and they add effects though a bus once you tracked perfectly clean tracks.

No one want to clean your tracks up for you dude. You got to take the time to get them right from the very beginning or they are worthless. Unless you don't mind the defects that come with it.

To my ears it sounds like you're using way too much compressor/limiter. So, when your vocals are going they are compressed, but when they stop the compressor/limiter causes all the other sounds (background noise) to raise in volume.

good point

104 viewings on this thread, yet only you have replied. it's always the case with this forum, it's like everyone here is shy or something. i appreciate your help and will try what you said but i'm not sure if it will work for my needs. it baffles me that i can't ever get much help around here.

...and you have 14 posts and every single one of them is spread out over 3 threads that YOU started, all of them asking for help with YOUR problem. And you're complaining that "you can never get any help in this forum"??? You're as guilty as everyone else that you accuse of being shy (in your case I call it selfish, spoiled and really fucking whiny).

What the hell have you contributed to this place that would give you the right to complain about not getting help? Sorry to break it you, but the world doesn't revolve around your whiny ass.

...and on top of that, you refuse to get off your ass and learn something by hooking up a gate and playing with the knobs. You keep asking someone else to do it for you. Jesus, man. How does an organism like you even survive?

EDIT: Ah fuck. Now he's bumping his own thread. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
You tell em Rami :laughings: Don't take no shit from no body!

I've been playing too much of that Mafia 2 PC game that just came out last week... I'm 60% into it and I'm starting to talk like the guys in the game LOL

bump

Anyone???? Come on!!! About 42 seconds ago, I asked if you want to know how I really feel and nobody has responded yet!!!! This place is shy and useless!!!!!!

Where's that staple gun?!?!

Yeah I want to know how you feel. but I might not be back to later tonight or tomorrow I have real life things to contend with :D

Back