Vocal effects on 50 cent tracks and others. What are they using?

SerenityThen

Question and example: On 50 cents' song "21 questions" featuring Nate Dogg, When Nate sings his part, his vocals are "fatter" or "fuller.

Generally I only hear this type of vocal effects in R&B and rap songs.

What type of equipment or mic is being used to create that vocal sound?

Can I re-create that sound in my basement for under $500 hundred and what equipment do I need?

Thanks for any info!!

they might be doing parallel compression...nate does the take they copy the track and compress the piss out of it...and mix it to taste with the unprocessed track

Yea, I had the unfortunate fate of having MTV on when a 50 cent track came on.

The vocals were most definitely doubled. Badly. But doubled.

i can see peoples problem with 'in da club'yoour typical 'club song' but are you going to say 21 question has no artistic integrity? come on....if you can' t relate to that you need to go out more

Teacher said:
are you going to say 21 question has no artistic integrity? come on....if you can' t relate to that you need to go out more

I can relate. When I hear that song, I DO feel the urge to go out (of the room where it's being played), so don't tell me I need to get out more.

lol...wasn't meant to be nasty...but come on.. how can you not relate to a song where a guy wants to know if his girl is really down for him? be with him through the bad and the good...granted he may use scenario's that may not relate to everyone but still... but then again if you don' t like rap you don't like rap...

"And always remember girl we make mistakes, to make it up I do whatever it take
I love you like a fat kid love cake"

"If I ain't rap 'cause I flipped burgers at Burger King"

yeh thats art. HAHA

sorry but saying 50 cent has artistic integrity is asking for it.

i don't see whats wrong with that? of course he has to keep it simple cuz music is marketed toward kids now a day

were the blues marketed towards children?

no!

its raw music... its meant to be unpretty even when its at its most beautiful.

just like the blues in its heyday.

we gon' pitch a wang-wang doodle all night long...

that's so ugly its beautiful!

Teacher said:
i don't see whats wrong with that? of course he has to keep it simple cuz music is marketed toward kids now a day
Since when does art mix well with marketing? If 50 cent were a real artist he would say what he would say, regardless of who it is marketed towards.

"Since when does art mix well with marketing? If 50 cent were a real artist he would say what he would say, regardless of who it is marketed towards."

Thats right.

And just because the blues were not marketed toward kids doesn't mean rap isn't. Rap isn't raw (at least not anymore) , its very pop and made for the masses. whats raw about Bently-driving rappers? Just because most rappers are uneducated it doesn't make their music raw.
I don't know any 40 year olds who care about 50 ( aka Ferrari F-50), and if you do don't tell me about it cause thats sad.

If rap isnt art what is it. Is it music?

If it isn't music, than music cannot be sounds arranged in time.

If it is music, than music cannot be art.

What your saying is that 50 cent doesn't have artistic integrity to you or the people that agree with you. Be more specific on who you are talking about, if you are talking about the people who are buying records, then the numbers are proving you wrong here.

To say he doesn't have artistic integrity is silly, because he obviously does otherwise people wouldn't listen to it. I wont argue with about 50 cent having artistic integrity with 40 year olds. :D

Modus

Modus said:
if you are talking about the people who are buying records, then the numbers are proving you wrong here.
What this implies is that anyone who sells a lot of records has artistic integrity. Britney Spears must have loads of it. Same with the Osmonds in the 70s. Not to mention Milli Vanilli. To say that sales = integrity is obviously stupid.

I never said that artistic integrity was measured by record sales. You came to that false conclusion yourself using poor logic. But you are right that is silly.
Let me explain my way of thinking a little better. in this case 50 cent has presented his art in a markett of buyers. He has a lot of buyers, therefore its a good indicator that he has certain amounts of integrity. I wouldn't say the same for a local bar band, maybe then it would be by how many people showed up to the show, or maybe how many people started line dancing, lol, I dont know its different with each case.

So i ask you this, By what do you measure a mainstream aritsts artistic integrity by then? If not record sales, then what. (hopefully not how many people are line dancing) If you can answer that then I will exept your way of measurement and you win. But I don't think you will be able to.
Think of it this way; out of all the people that bought a 50 cent record, how many of them do you think would say 50 cent has artistic integrity? probably a lot of them, so I say, ok they are probably right, 50 cent has some sort of integrity.

Record sales is the closest thing i could think of because anything else is just a persons preference and obviously I cant know what everybody thinks of an artist, so there really is no sure way to measure integrity, so what should i go by? Record sales is a pretty good indicator that people like the music, i dont go out and buy stuff i dont want. There are faults in this system obviously in cases like milli vanilli, but like i said its not perfect.
personaly i dont like 50 cents art but I can see how he must have integrity among the people that like him, i dont know why anyone would argue with that!?

As far as britney spears having artistic integrity, sure she does as a dancer and singer. Maybe not so much as a songwriter or producer or something like that, but for what she does she does well. I believe she expresses herself through art very well, she has done performing arts since she was young, and i like her voice. So of course (to me) she has artistic integrity. Just becuase its bubble gum pop or dancing and expressing yourself through fashion or whatever doesnt mean it is not art.
Modus

Last edited:
I thought the definition of artistic integrity was a well known concept,but obviously this is not the case.

Webster's dictionary is always helpful.

artistic: 1 : of, relating to, or characteristic of art or artists.

integrity: 1 : firm adherence to a code of especially moral or artistic values : INCORRUPTIBILITY
2 : an unimpaired condition : SOUNDNESS
3 : the quality or state of being complete or undivided : COMPLETENESS
synonym see HONESTY

Meaning artistic integrity is adhering to ones atistic values. In other words (as most people know the defintion as) not compromising your music to sell records.

Modus said:
Well tell me roy, how is 50 cent compromising his music?

Modus
He may not be, but naming your album "Get Rich or Die Trying" definitely doesn't scream "artistic integrity." If he's willing to "die trying" to get rich, I'm sure he isn't averse to making artistic decisions based on what will make him the most rich. That's just my take on it, though.

If you guys want to talk about no artistic integrity lets talk about Liz Phair. She was one of the best underground songwriters of the 90s, and now she's an Avril Lavigne wannabe. :mad:

Teacher said:
... but then again if you don' t like rap you don't like rap...

It's not a matter of liking or disliking rap, in general. It's a matter of not liking the crap that MTV pushes on us and calls "rap." Which includes 50 cents and just about all the other clowns. I don't like it any more than I like the Britney Spears or Justin Timberflake crap they try to push on us as pop . . . which doesn't necessarily mean I don't like pop.

AH HA HHAHHAHH!!!!!! JUSTIN TIMBER<b>FLAKE</B>!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOLY CRAP! That was incredibly funny for some reason!

Back