Violin sound.

Hi,

Now I have time I'm looking at my studio gear and also gathering violin music scores to practice with. When I set the studio up I installed 16 x 13A sockets in two groups of eight to accept plugs from assorted gear leaving a few spare; with so many plugs and cables it then became a problem identifying each plug.

1687859631259.png

I bought a similar embossing tape maker to the one shown and shortly after it arrived it was in the waste bin. I stress the picture is taken at random just as an example.

I didn't want to buy an expensive tape maker just to make a few tapes so instead I've just done this to make my own tapes.

Studio plugs_0001.JPG
I used Word to print these off; Times New Roman Font size 16 BOLD. Two lines of text but I duplicated just in case of mistakes.

Sellotape was used to protect the face of each and double sided self adhesive tape was used on the back; cutting the labels was done by adding the Sellotape and double sided tape onto each text line then they were neatly separated using sharp scissors yielding the small labels shown.

Studio plugs_0004.JPG
One lot of plugs sorted out; there are eight sockets here.

Studio plugs_0005.JPG
Second lot of plugs sorted out. The white plug powers all eight sockets.

I won't be handling the plugs often so these labels will be fine. Just a small interesting but useful job. I now need to learn how to use all the studio recording gear but I'm working through it slowly learning all the time. I've enjoyed a number of violin practices just for the fun of it and to get the feel of the studio; my dream was to play Lara's Theme on a violin so now I'm a lot nearer achieving the dream; I've got a nice compact warm well lit studio; four violins and at last time to indulge myself; it's been as long hard journey to reach this stage since August 2021 but I've never quit and never will.

I've so much to learn but slowly one step at a time I'll do my best.

Kind regards, Colin.

I did the same trick to identify some of my items, but didn't use doube sided tape. Just regular selotape overlapping on all 4 sides.
Used to have one of those embossing labelers. They were terrible, not always readable, they curled after application, then came off.
Good labellers cost money. I'm keeping my eye out for one.

Hi,

Thanks Raymond; however it's done I think identifying so many plugs is a good way to go; all it takes is an hour or so and it's time well spent; making the labels the way we do costs nothing other than a bit of time. At work I used a top quality label maker the design similar to the one in the picture but it did an excellent quick job; I used it to make electric motor self adhesive nameplates. With limited surface area on a 13A plug I find I can adjust the label size to suit; Sellotape has been around forever and is good long lasting tape. Good luck in your hunt for a more expensive label tape maker; there are lots of electronic types available.

You don't half live on the wild side rob :ROFLMAO: I couldn't live with your cable management; lots of studio gear pull low amps but cables overlapping and coiled if on higher power are a real fire risk; years ago a friend was using his 13A extension lead to power his pressure washer but didn't fully unwind the cable; it expired in flames; time to get it all sorted out even if only to identify each plug. (y)

Here's a bit more patience rob in relation to my desk; I made this desk a few years ago but but gave lots of thought into cable management; I didn't want my feet tangling up in lots of hanging cables from my computer kit so I designed seven single 13A sockets into the rear of the top section these powered by a single cable to a 13A wall socket; it costs nothing to give a bit of extra thought at the design stage; I've now got a unique desk and enjoyed making it.

Desk_0001.JPG
Desk top showing drawer area but also rear area to accept sockets.

Desk_0002.JPG
Front of desk top nearing completion.

Desk_0003.JPG
Desk almost completed just requiring right hand door and bespoke knobs to drawer fronts.

Desk_0004.JPG
Knobs I turned to suit desk.

Desk_0005.JPG
Seven individual 13A sockets designed so plugs don't extend to back of desk.

I'm determined to put the same effort into learning to play my violins and over the next few days I'll get settled into the studio; I'll never be an expert violinist but I'll enjoy trying.

You've guided me and helped me a great deal rob so I hope this prods you into sorting your cables out.

Kind regards, Colin.

Sadly - I'm like this on everything. Colin worries about his cabling - how about this - cable AND ropes. Everything about it is wrong.I just don't do tidy!

Attachments

• tidyflys.png
    tidyflys.png
    14.8 MB · Views: 7
Hi,

WOW rob; a place for everything and everything all over the place. Neatness and tidiness were beaten into me at the age of 15 when I went into the pit; the engineers didn't take prisoners; if I was on the pit top at the forge and cheeked any of them if I was caught I went head first into the 45 gallon water butt at the side of the forge; a strange place for tidiness a deep coal mine but here I am 60 years on with everything neat and tidy; I trusted these engineers with my life and they taught me well.

I've lost track of a few things I downloaded so need to start over but this time taking things slowly unlike having to dash in and out of the studio; I've got Spotify which isn't a disease or catching but why did I download it; this and other things but I'll soon catch up; I also want to try note matching my violin to a keyboard which you kindly suggested rob; I think it will prove useful and interesting.

Kind regards, Colin.

I really don't worry too much about how pretty the wiring is, but I have started to label all the assorted wall warts that come with everything these days. Between the different voltages, different plug sizes, AC vs DC, it's just gotten crazy. It's easy enough to just put a label on the case that says "Maxtor HD" or "Line 6". But in the end, they all end up in a drawer. I still haven't found the wall wart that came with my little portable Sony CD player. I've got several that are ok for voltage, but the plugs are always the wrong size. I'll find the power supply about a day after I finally toss it in the bin!

About the only good thing about the expanded use of USB powered devices is that you have only a few connectors to deal with. Most current devices are either USB A, Micro USB or USB-C. Buy a half dozen cables and you're good to go.

Hi,

I couldn't agree with you more @TalismanRich It seems every piece of electronic kit I buy has its own connectors; nothing can be taken for granted; even the small DC connectors can catch anyone out; try to buy a power adapter from AC 240V to 12VDC but with negative center even then they come in a number of diameters. When I first started gathering my studio gear I was forever buying cables and just not standard length cables they come in many lengths; amplifiers; mics; monitors etc. male and female different connectors at each end of a cable all needing their own cables as you say why not standardize lots of them; we don't suffer the same problem with 13A plugs; household white goods come ready to plug in and use.

It's wonderful to be able now to relax and wander into the studio just for the sheer enjoyment of it; I could get used to this but deep down I keep expecting another heavy job to drag me away; I'm keeping my head down.

Kind regards, Colin.

Hi,

WOW I've just enjoyed an hours violin practice in peace and will practice more this afternoon and this evening. I'm concentrating more and find I've been playing two wrong notes on the G string whilst playing "Somewhere my love". The new strings on my Yamaha YEV-104 are taking a bit of time to settle in but are sounding good. Yesterday I copied to memory stick more violin music I can play in the studio hopefully to improve my spacing/timing. My memory is abysmal; I've been struggling with the G string B & C notes but I'm wininng and will stick with it all I need is lots and lots of practice until I can play the notes without having to think about it; I'm slowly getting there. It's been a wonderful hour and really cheered me up.

Kind regards, Colin.

A couple of nights ago, I tried going to bed around midnight. After laying there tossing for about 20 minutes or so, I got up, went into the next bedroom and picked up my Dean acoustic. By the time I finally put it down at 1;30am I was ready to go to sleep. It was so relaxing just sitting there, playing and singing a bunch of old songs. CSN, Simon and Garfunkel, Beatles, Eric Clapton, Grass Roots.

Hi,

Thanks Raymond; how true.

Well done @TalismanRich; it's better than Horlicks.

Saturday after dinner I became restless not used to being lazy; I didn't feel right; I overcame it though by deciding to get rid of the big tree stumps piled behind the hut; these stumps had been bugging me because when I start a job I see it through; having the stumps there meant I hadn't finished all the tree work.

Saturday afternoon and all day yesterday I tired myself out cutting the stumps with the petrol chainsaw small enough allowing me to lift them; the biggest stump quartered it was still heavy to lift each quarter; knocking off yesterday I'd managed to get the first load down to the driveway with the second load ready still up the mountain; I was all in.

This morning I did the shopping back home by 7:15; rain had been forecast so I was dashing around like an idiot trying to beat it;

3 July 2023_0008.JPG
Our Skoda Yeti turns into a decent sized van; this was the first load to the tip; back home I brought the second load down and again visited the tip; on the way home I visited the pharmacy then tidied the car all done by 10 o'clock; I was tired out but then I made a cottage pie for dinner. I'd just come indoors when the rain poured down leaving me with a big smile having beaten it.

3 July 2023_0011.JPG
First load filling the Yeti. Second load was just as much and just as heavy. I was glad to see the back of these stumps.

This afternoon I suffered a really poor violin practice; my arms ached and the strings sounded very sharp and harsh; I tried two violins using the same bow but had to give up; tomorrow is another day; I'm not put off because even such a bad practice is still practice and more experience. I'll be OK after a nights sleep but now I'm happy and content to have cleared the last of the trees. No more trees to fell; the only tree work in future will be storm damage; perhaps I'll now relax and enjoy my studio but I find it hard to relax after 60 years constant hard graft.

Kind regards, Colin.

Colin, some times you just have to bite the bullet, take the bull by the horns, sit your ass down and DO NOTHING! :giggle: It can be quite therapeutic.....

Today was the first of two morning golf games. Started out at 75F (24C) and the dew point was between 65 and 70. Since we had rain last night, it was "cart path only" so the folks in front of us had to drive up the path, then get out and cross the fairway, hit the ball and then go back. Those of us walking just end up standing around on the tee box waiting. That resulted in a 5 hour round on a course that is quite hilly. It was 85 when we finished and still quite soupy.

After the round, I decide to forgo cooking today and stopped in at the Asian buffet that just opened near me. Nothing like a bit of gluttony to top off the day. I may not even need to eat breakfast in the morning. I think the rest of the day will be a quick shower, some guitar picking and then watch a movie that I've saved on the DVR. I have both Elizabeth and Elizabeth- Golden Age waiting for me.

No tree stumps in my future!

You have a totally different definition for retired, and taking it easy. What is better for your physical wellbeing? Hard toil with trees and chainsaws (and the potential to lose fingersm which won't help the playing), or playing the violin? I certainly know which I'd go for!

One of my school reports said I was 'Inherently Lazy', which is a valuable quality, which I shall call on as I get into retirement.
Am not entirely lazy. Just get me excited about something, and I'll have a good go at it.
I do have a delicate back, so do not over-do physical jobs these days. If it gives trouble, I can just down tools and leave the job for weeks.

I've just discovered I'm no good for playing bass for show work - two 1 hour sets now are out. My favourite bass's are all heavy and my dodgy back has progressed from pain, fixable with pain killers to numbness in the legs where the trapped nerve connects to - so stand for more than 30 mins and it's pins and needles, then stabbing pains in the thighs. No fix apart from sit down.

I hear Billy Gibbons has lots of hollowed out guitars, sometimes even the neck gets hollowed out. Get that drill and the set of Irwin bits out and start that weight reduction program! 😁

I've got a Heritage H157 that I bought for my 50th birthday, and it doesn't get played much since it's over 9 lbs. Between the strain on my back and pressure on the shoulder causing my left hand to start tingling, I can't go more than about 20 mins or so even with a wide strap. But my semi hollow at 8 lbs is fine. I just did 2.5 hours at a buddy's house standing.

Back pains are the worst!

Back