Violin sound.

I know this may be a silly question, but why are you mixing strings? Buying a different brand D string seems a rather oddthing to do, and then if you transplant the old one to the other violin, won't you end up with a very unbalanced sound - the different string will sound well, different?

Hi folks. Seems I'm a bit behind on happenings here. I spent a few days in Atlantic City on the New Jersey shore. Wow, the first two days is was incredibly smokey, due to the wildfires in Canada. You could barely see the shoreline from the hotel, much less see the horizon. The local news programs were having a field day.... stay inside at all costs! The small particles make breathing dangerous (is there any alternative to breathing?). Several of us took our lives into our own hands and walked for a few miles up and down the Boardwalk each day. No one died.... (y)

My tablet is so old (Android 4), that the only browser that even works is Opera, and it's incredibly slow, so I gave up on doing any internet. Time for a new tablet for travel, I guess. I can't deal with using a cell phone for browsing. I HATE typing on those touch screens. I only do it when necessary, like texts. Once a text gets to it's 3rd or 4th reply, I just hit the "Call" button. I can talk much faster than pressing those stupid letters on that little screen.

Colin, sorry to hear about your troubles. I hate it when I poke a finger with a string especially if it gets the pad of the finger. I always try to bend the end of the strings on my guitars so you can't inadvertently nail a finger just by hitting the headstock.

I'm with Rob, why are you mixing strings? I don't know anything about violin strings, but I would never pull off strings and put them on another guitar. I don't even like trying to put strings back on a guitar after I have to remove them if I have to work on the guitar. Guitar strings go dead after a while for me, maybe 4-6 months. I had the same strings on my bass for about 15 years before changing them. The only reason I did was to try some "ground round" strings, smoother like a flat wound, but sound close to normal round wound strings. It was a good change.

The thing that suprises me is the cost of violin strings. £28.61 for one string.
I would expect to get two or three SETS of guitar strings for that money.
I had a look on the website 'The String Zone'. You have to dig deep on a specific brand to find prices.
This makes it difficult to compare prices between brands.
Where you are in your violin journey, a cheaper brand may be appropriate.
I aggree with the other guys, moving a string to another instrument is something I have never done in all my guitar playing years.
When metal strings pass over the bridge and the nut, they acquire a kink at that position, which would be out of place on another instrument.
I used to replace a whole set when they went dull, or if one broke.
These days, I don't often break strings. I seem to have learned just how far to bend them safely. So I buy maybe 6 full sets at once,
and then replace single strings from the stash, unless the whole set looks worn out.
I recommend that you have a look at the Gear4music website, where string prices are better displayed.
They do have some up-market brands, with matching prices, but there are also much cheaper brands.
For example Stagg offer a whole set of violin strings for just £12.
The only way to find out how good they are is to suck it and see.
Trying a few of the cheaper brands is the way I'd go.

I double checked with my violin playing friend, and he tells me many players panic about breaking strings because tonally, violin in particular, strings mean even a swap to a brand new identical string from the same factory batch means that string stands out. On mass produced instruments, a set swap is usually Ok, but the whole instrument changes. Violins with mixed metal and gut strings and to a lesser degree, plastic ones are very hard to balance. On a guitar the tonal shift between the same pitch played on various strings is not too bad, but a high position v low position on a violin means a string type swap and the tone difference is extreme. So much so, it’s considered a different technique where the tone shift is deliberate.

Apparently strings are a very hot topic in violin world.

my experiments in tuning a cello like a bass guitar are more common than I thought. They even make special string sets for this mod, and the set prices are crazy. My experiment produced a much nicer sound from a rotten old cello, doing it to a nice cello makes them very mellow it seems, so a string change is required to restore tone.

Hi,

Many thanks Raymond for your excellent advice which I fully intend to accept.

The oak tree is 43' tall and it's very heavy wood; I'll remove it next week.

Back to the plot; I've been so fed up of constant problems and I've now got lots of gardening ahead of me but this morning I put everything to one side and have been in the studio for about an hour. I removed the D string from the Yamaha and fitted it to the Hidersine to replace the broken string then I fitted the new string to the Yamaha; on both violins I added peg paste; graphite from a pencil into both grooves and also a touch of graphite grease to the fine adjusters.

I brought the new string gradually up to tune using the electronic tuner. Is it normal for strings to feel rough through finger & thumb once they've been in use for a long time the D string especially which appears to be used most? I readjusted the new string a number of times which I expect I'll have to keep doing until it settles in; I spent most of the time working on the strings but I wanted to do my best and as time passes and I change more strings I'll become quicker; I don't want to be breaking new strings costing £28 I don't want to be breaking strings at all.

The new D string sounds a lot different to the one it replaced but I'll soon adjust to it. The studio is already heating up with the sun through the windows even though there are Venetian blinds fitted; it going to be too hot to do more violin practice today but I'm now planning early morning practices; I'm going to play my violins whatever it takes. Time now for me to stop being lazy.

Sorry everyone; I replied to Raymond but suddenly lots more posts have appeared so I'll reply more fully a bit later.

Regarding changing & buying strings I'm just thick because I don't know any better but I'm learning all the time.o_O

Kind regards, Colin.

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm wet with sweat after a session in the garden and have just knocked off for dinner so I can do a bit of catching up.

I know this may be a silly question, but why are you mixing strings? Buying a different brand D string seems a rather oddthing to do, and then if you transplant the old one to the other violin, won't you end up with a very unbalanced sound - the different string will sound well, different?

Not a silly question at all rob and I'll try to explain. for those of you far more experienced playing violins it's a good question but to me I simply didn't know any better; I was always taught buy cheap buy twice so I shunned away from cheap string sets; whenever I do work around home I always buy the best quality I can then any problems are down to me; I've seen DIY'ers spend ages prepping before painting exterior woodwork only then to apply the cheapest paint possible which then needs doing again in a year; I buy Benjamin Moore paint at over £100 per US gallon and this is still in perfect condition even on our extremely exposed valley side; it looks like new seven years on.

I browsed The Strad and also the web as to what strings professional violinists use hence I bought the string I did in total ignorance of needing to balance strings but now thanks to you I'm much wiser; I can also add funds aren't a problem at all; I should have asked first on the forum; I don't know the original Yamaha string make but I can find out; watching a YouTube video though when I first got the Yamaha it was stated the strings could be better? Yes the different string does sound different.

Our BBC news has also been showing the severe smoke and forest fire problems @TalismanRich it looks terrible; I'm glad I live in England where such things are very rare indeed although locally we do suffer moor fires. I've no problems at all using a mobile phone or tablet etc I don't have them; I'm a dinosaur with a landline to which Virgin Media enjoy sending texts to? Thanks I've been expecting to see some of my blood for a third time they do say it comes in threes. Mixing strings I think now already answered but thanks. I hope your air quality improves soon.

Thanks Raymond; as I say I just didn't know better but I'm rapidly learning. I'm more than happy to replace the complete set of strings on both the Yamaha and Hidersine; as I say funds aren't a problem; if you think Stagg strings will be OK then I'll buy Stagg and as you say Raymond; suck it and see;

Thanks rob for your additional information; I'm older and wiser now well older anyway; I'm open to suggestions as to strings to buy taking into account I know I'll never excel at violin playing but I want all my instruments in top condition; perhaps one full set on each but from different makers? I admit I've been totally confused regarding strings and these are discussed a lot in The Strad; I thought I was doing the correct thing following the professional violin players but I'll keep learning. I seldom play the Hidersine preferring the Yamaha hence the reason I did the string swap; I thought as I mostly play the Yamaha the new string would be better on that; I think I now need to start over and sort both string sets out.

One important thing about my learning story is I hope it helps other violin novices never to quit however hard it becomes; I certainly won't quit.

Thanks once again for all your highly useful and informative replies.

Dinner ready.

Kind regards, Colin.

The only real rule is like for like. Swapping the lot will give you balance across them all and consistent tone - but brand A to B changes the tone in a fairly unpredictable way - like buying a new brand reed for clarinet or sax.

Strings do feel different. Most are smooth but some do feel rougher. The rougher ones react differently to the bow - so my suggestion now will be to always buy the brand you just purchased - and you'll learn with your strings. Do remember the people who inhabit string forums and faxcebook groups are usually way ahead in tone. The instrument is often, like magic wands, chosen by the player to suit them, and nobody else. Guitars and basses are excellent examples. You can buy a certain guitar, fit certain strings, and even buy certain amps and use certain settings, yet still not sound like Brian May, Hank Marvin or John Entwhistle.

Some strings demand a certain type of playing, so sensible average ones are by far the best investment, until your playing hits the brick wall, different strings lets you pass. For leisure playing, my own view is that you need the nicest and comfiest instrument to play. This won't always be the most expensive.

Thanks Raymond; as I say I just didn't know better but I'm rapidly learning. I'm more than happy to replace the complete set of strings on both the Yamaha and Hidersine; as I say funds aren't a problem; if you think Stagg strings will be OK then I'll buy Stagg and as you say Raymond; suck it and see;
I wouldnt say I recommend Stagg, but they are probably the cheapest option.
The brand you bought would be 'professional' top end.
Somewhere in the middle may be a perfectly good brand.
I bought two Stagg bass guitars (one fretted, one fretless), which no doubt have Stagg strings fitted. They seem ok, and I'm not rushing to change them.
For my clarinets, I started with el cheapo RICO reeds, then bought a bunch of up-market VANDOREN reeds. However I find I get on better with the cheap RICO ones.
Nylon classical guitar strings take ages to settle in.

Hi,

As usual both you rob & Raymond make lots of sense; the rate I'm going I haven't got my foot on the first rung of the ladder in fact I can't see the ladder.

I've already visited Gear4music and bought a full set of Stagg strings costing a measly £13.99 inc postage; I'll fit these to my Hidersine when they arrive; I'll never buy Hidersine strings because the Hidersine Vivente brand new was rubbish it had been thrown together and in no time at all two of the strings were worn out; it cost another £95 to get it sorted professionally by a local luthier who fitted quite expensive strings and did all the adjustments like refitting the sound post which had been rammed in at the totally wrong place; the difference when I brought it home and played it I was amazed by the transformation. I've used Gear4music a number of times finding them very fairly priced and highly reliable hence bought this new set of strings from them.

I'll do some back tracking to find what strings were supplied with the Yamaha and buy a full set; I may as well sort out all of my four violins then I'll have a full record for future references; I'm sure many violinists will spend a great deal of money chasing the best strings but I'm realizing it's not really the strings but the violin player which makes most difference.

Next week weather permitting I'm taking down the big oak tree; I'll log the thick sections for our wood-burning neighbour and shred the brash to use as garden mulch so I'm sure I'll be tired out until the job is completed; will I ever be rid of all this constant work?

The original D string removed from the Yamaha violin rob was very rough indeed; I know all four strings were very smooth when I first got this violin; could it be that the string had been used a great deal and just needed replacing?

Kind regards, Colin.

Update; Zyex strings factory fitted from new; I'll have a look for these but I've had enough for today I'm tired.

Last edited:
Hi,

I've just emailed Gear4music requesting details of the ZYEX strings originally supplied with my Yamaha YEV-104; this time I'll ask the question before buying.

Kind regards, Colin.

Hi,

Thanks rob for your quick reply and information. Yes I've already browsed the String Zone website and been looking at the excellent reviews; I decided to go with Gear4music because I've bought quite a few items from them; looking at the prices I don't think there's a lot of difference. I've had the Yamaha quite a while and get lots of pleasure from it so I'm not bothered about treating it to a full set of original strings after all I've only just made a rather expensive mistake in buying only one string and it from a different maker.

When the Stagg strings arrive I'll fit these to the Hidersine Vivente and I'll be interested finding out what they sound like. It's so hot in the bungalow after a scorching day I'm unable to get into the studio; thunderstorms are forecast yet again; not a single drop of rain so far.

I'll be able to compare cheaper and more expensive strings; both the electric Yamaha & German acoustic violin stay in tune for ages both having rather expensive strings fitted.

Kind regards, Colin.

I drove from the most easterly town down to Kent today, and back. Started at 20 degrees, and was 29 in Kent - the only snag was 20 miles of torrential rain on the way.

Keep practicing! (I feel really bad about saying that, as I was never any good practicing from school to now. I hate it, and unless I really have to, I don't ever do it. I don't mind rehearsing with others, but never on my own.

Hi,

Thanks rob; can you please send some of the rain to Huddersfield; for over a week the Met office has been forecasting thunder storms for Huddersfield but as yet not a drop of water has fallen from the sky; it's bucketed down about 30 miles away. This is so rare for me to want rain because living here in Yorkshire there's usually a great deal of it.

1686733121864.png

I decided to stick with the string set as supplied new with the Yamaha YEV-104 Just bought from Gear4music.

I'm still dreaming of studio time rob; I've just come indoors for a mug of tea and lump of cherry cake which I've just enjoyed; back out now to resume work felling our mature oak tree which towers over our bungalow.

Kind regards, Colin.

It is hot and dry down in bournemouth too. Supposed to ease a bit from tomorrow, but no rain til sunday.
I'll continue chopping up pallets between those two times. Couldn't face it in the heatwave.
Good luck with the strings, Colin.

Hi,

Thanks Raymond. Yes dry & very hot here too with zero rain which is rare for Yorkshire; I'm making the most of this glorious summer weather whilst it lasts.

One of the departments I was in charge at at work was the timber department; I designed many special pallets for the electric motors and also designed a special adjustable heavy steel table with sliding channels to accommodate making the two way pallets; Euro pallets I ordered 300 at a time; softwood timber 3 cubic yards at a time. Cutting up pallets is hard work especially if as usual they are constructed with ring shank nails.

The Stagg strings are now fitted to my Hidersine violin but as yet untried in anger; I changed one string at a time tuning to a note below until all four strings were in place then did the final tuning; these steel strings are very sensitive indeed; as I adjusted one it knocked others out of tune so it seemed to take forever but I was wet with sweat in the studio which didn't help.

Here's what I'm doing when I want to play my violins; I'm working in scorching sunshine until after 7pm each day trying to get on top of this oak tree removal; it towers over our bungalow and most of the heavy branches are over the bungalow roof so I'm having to double rope each branch in order to control its descent allowing it to be cut in layers as it comes down; a hard and dangerous job but as seen I think it's now ready for felling but I'm awaiting another 25m long very heavy rope; I've got ropes but I'm also adding anchors to ensure this heavy tree doesn't destroy half our bungalow. Enough of this I'm working flat out and want this tree down then fingers crossed I'll get into the studio in peace. Here's two slung branches being lowered under control; all branches removed are now logged and collected by a woodburner friend; I completed the shredding of the brash last night so at the moment the garden and patio areas are tidy and no damage done.

15 june 23_0011.JPG

I've been grounded this morning hence I'm on the keyboard having just returned from an hospital appointment; as I sat waiting in the car I spent the time looking through the two small books you kindly recommended Raymond; very interesting but over my head at the moment; I keep nibbling and learning though.

6 o'clock this morning I was watching a solo violinist playing on a YouTube video really enjoying it when a message popped up "Vevo box updating" GRRRRR every time I dare even look at a violin I'm blocked.

Kind regards, Colin.

It is the same with guitar strings. You tune them one at a time, and by the end, the first ones have pulled out of tune again.
I've been very lazy since the heatwave started. The remaining pallets are still under a tarpaulin sheet, the grass needs cutting, and the half-height plastic log shed (leaks) needs dismantling for the tip. As I type, my young neighbour is shovelling loads of soil.
I've just been having a good play on a couple of synths.
Drove over to Lymington solicitor in the heat, so the 'shop' business is almost complete.
I know I won't want to do garden work when the rain comes.

Hi,

Thanks Raymond; these are the first steel strings I've used and it took quite a while balancing them to get them in tune but then having sorted them out I've not touched the violin or even been into the studio; last week for the full seven days I've worked flat out felling the oak tree; it's now down safely and yesterday a guy called Paul collected the very heavy trunk plus other thick logs; Paul must have been 6'-3" tall he is 35 and with athletic build; he asked if I could cut the trunk into 9" sections which I did then he carried each down the steps to the wheelbarrow; he struggled to lift each; the oak is incredibly dense and heavy; we worked from 9:15 until midday yesterday morning just cutting and moving the logs before he departed; he was all in; the heaviest sections are now gone but still lots left for me to cut up and dispose of. Having felled the tree at dinnertime on Saturday I then posted free oak logs on Gumtree hence Paul was here early yesterday morning; I'll cut the remaining thick sections then also post these on Gumtree.

This morning I feel woozy and strange so I've just taken my blood pressure to find it's 106/63 normally it's perfect at 120 so I need to take this as a warning and wait until it returns to normal before doing more work. At last I think I can get into the studio but I feel drained and tired.

Oak logs_0005_01.JPGOak logs_0006_01.JPG

Trunk being cut; lifting just one 9" thick section was incredibly heavy; it was a real shame having to take down this lovely oak but better down in the garden than demolishing our very near bungalow.

Time now Raymond to get cracking sorting your pallets out; cut the grass and dispose of the unwanted shed; I think this Wednesday is our shortest day then it's heading back into a prolonged black hole so any such jobs need doing quickly.

Good luck with the solicitors & shop I hope it doesn't cost a fortune.

I've lost Virgin Media email this morning; I've never known as many VM problems as I've suffered over the last few months; the TV also suffers on YouTube when it either stops to have a rest or dies completely; all I want to do is to break free and get into the studio without problems and constant tiredness.

Kind regards, Colin.

Update regarding Virgin Media email;

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/uk-news/virgin-media-internet-email-down-27150143

Last edited:
Hi,

August 2021 almost two years ago my lovely wife bought me my first violin since then I've struggled to play it with so much heavy work to get through.

logs 23 June 23_0002.JPG

Surely this must be the last load of logs; the only tree work I'll do in future is storm damage; I'm not taking any more big trees down. These logs have been collected so I'm clear of all the heavy work at last.

It felt strange being free to wander into the studio yesterday evening and settle down in peace and quiet to a nice violin practice; I'm playing from the violin music scores; Somewhere My Love; Ode To Joy; Only Fools Rush In and Amazing Grace; I now want to learn how to use all my recording gear and the laptop.

Things are looking up at last.

Kind regards, Colin.

Back