Vernon Reid

faderbug said:
i think it's save to say that the two guitarists that shaped the sound of modern rock guitar the most were both black : berry and hendrix.

I'd like to add one more to your list - B.B. King.

Sirnothingness said:
You must bee seeing something in him that I don't. I could care less if he was blue or purple, his guitar playing is SLOPPY.

Never, but his harmonic and rhythmic tendencies are far more complex than you are used to. Remember, this is a guy who used to play with Roland Shannon Jackson. That is free jazz in all it's dissonant and arrhythmic glory (though it is never actually either of those things). I assure you, every note happens exactly where and when he wants it to. Exactly.

He may not observe the traditional sonic stereotypes you are familiar with, but his technique is flawless.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

IronFlippy said:
We should not forget a group of people that play the music that rock was influenced the most by: blues. And who were the 3 kings?

That would be Larry King, Rodney King and Billie Jean King, right?

Light said:
Never, but his harmonic and rhythmic tendencies are far more complex than you are used to. Remember, this is a guy who used to play with Roland Shannon Jackson. That is free jazz in all it's dissonant and arrhythmic glory (though it is never actually either of those things). I assure you, every note happens exactly where and when he wants it to. Exactly.

He may not observe the traditional sonic stereotypes you are familiar with, but his technique is flawless.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Jazz is so diverse, it's almost too generic to say he's a jazz-rocker. You really have to understand the Shannon Jackson/Decoding Society school of approach to jazz to get where Vernon's coming from. Don't expect to hear bop in his playing, although his solo on "Shadow of Darkness"(Ithink that's the title) on Time's Up shows him morphing from the perfect clean bop tone and phrasing into ring modulated harmolodicism.

ahuimanu said:
Hendrix was relegated to "chitlin boogaloo-in" until he hit London and became an export back to his own country.

Ummm - wasn't he a top live session player with huge acts like Ike & Tina Turner, Little Richard and the Isleys?

Light said:

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Nobody has flawless technique.

Except maybe Tommy Emmanuel ;)

Last edited:
rock=blues=black

that doesn’t mean that VR doesn’t need to chill the hell out sometimes (most of the time) though.

he's not nearly as bad as most of the people on the list, but he definitely lives on the border of "tasteless" and "look at me"

no blacks in rock?
for the most part it's true, but for the most part they're not trying to be.
i do believe there is a small amount of non-conscious racism on the part of the general public that in a small way contributes to this, but it is not responsible for it.

remember, white suburbia loves it's gansta rap.

Oh, and in living color……. They just don’t have that many good songs, and their sound was dated by their second album.

It happens.

"Oh, and in living color……. They just don’t have that many good songs, and their sound was dated by their second album."

In your opinion, did "Stain" sound dated when it was released? I think that Stain is their best album, and as fresh as anything else being released in that year, if not more. Their use of industrial sampling mixed with live drums was cutting edge and very influential/ahead of the curve. Stain also won over a bunch of metal-heads who didn't like the first two albums, where they were still finding their sound.

"i do believe there is a small amount of non-conscious racism on the part of the general public that in a small way contributes to this, but it is not responsible for it."

I think that racism doesn't have to be overt to exist, alot of it is non-concious. It's the thing that will have the channel changed from a Living Colour video to a Jah Rule video, closed-mindedness. Racism is subtle and not overt most of the time, and doesn't get detected most of the time.

"remember, white suburbia loves it's gansta rap."

Exactly. Gangsta Rap is a non-challenging image, it upholds a stereotype that people have and is not challenging to people. The concept of a black hard rock band is challenging to preconceived notions of how blacks are supposed to be and how white people are supposed to be. America is ironically more comfortable with a black male talking about shooting somebody than playing some far-out guitar licks.

Contemporary music is just in a sad sad sad state right now in terms of media coverage. It really feels like the early 80's, where majaor label releases are totally forumlaic, the instrument tone/production is the same across the board, and it's just bland! True, the internet is here to bring easy access to any band, but it's just so much to wade through that it is really hard to find the good stuff out there. The 90's was just so much more open and diverse in terms of major label/mainstream media access to exciting music. I feel sorry for today's teenagers, they don't get the diversity in media that we had then. MTV actually played videos all day, you could see bands like Fishbone, Meat Beat Manifesto, and Slayer on TV on the same day...

raab said:
Exactly. Gangsta Rap is a non-challenging image, it upholds a stereotype that people have and is not challenging to people. The concept of a black hard rock band is challenging to preconceived notions of how blacks are supposed to be and how white people are supposed to be. America is ironically more comfortable with a black male talking about shooting somebody than playing some far-out guitar licks.

Contemporary music is just in a sad sad sad state right now in terms of media coverage. It really feels like the early 80's, where majaor label releases are totally forumlaic, the instrument tone/production is the same across the board, and it's just bland! True, the internet is here to bring easy access to any band, but it's just so much to wade through that it is really hard to find the good stuff out there. The 90's was just so much more open and diverse in terms of major label/mainstream media access to exciting music. I feel sorry for today's teenagers, they don't get the diversity in media that we had then. MTV actually played videos all day, you could see bands like Fishbone, Meat Beat Manifesto, and Slayer on TV on the same day...

too true.

(ten whatevers)

Vernon reid is nasty. Though i was highly dissapointed with colleidoscope, the production and song writing on that album were shit compared to stain.

I saw someone mention the 24/7 Spyz...I actually opened for them not too long ago at the Knitting Factory in NYC. My "band" at the time (I use quotes because 2 members have quit since this show, and we are currently in a bit of a transition) was the second of 4 groups. This was essentially an underground RAP show that we booked because it was a hurricane benefit. Our group was virtually unheard of, but we were recieved quite well considering the crowd, and we even got a few pits going during some of the heavier sections...the 24-7 Spyz were on after us and got NO love from the crowd at all. I personally thought their music was great, tight grooves and great playing, but they got booed from the crowd...They were playing tunes from back in '88, and as much as myself and a lot of others were into the music, the crowd wanted them off the stage. I guess the fans just wanted to hear the headliners rap to a cd rather than watch these guys do their thing...what can you do...

-Steve

Back