V76t vs V69

You must also remember that when I started out this time, it was just supposed to be a home studio in a spare bedroom for doing songwriting demos, so cost was a big factor.

I had hoped that my old engineering skills (and some of the new technology) would be able to make up for a poor room and limited flexibility. My son Alex was in a rock band and when our home recordings of his band were getting better peer reviews than some of the major Dallas studio recordings, Alex convinced me to open it up to the public.

It eventually grew to what it is today; a professional studio with "home-grown roots".

elementary said:
Harvey, that is class mixing.
Thank you. They're in very high rotation on a lot of Christian radio stations all over the country, and they're doing two more songs here next week. They've added two more members (a second keyboard player, and another backup singer), so it should be another interesting session.

Its absolutely not the sort of music I would choose to listen to most of the time, but its great!
Everything is so precise, clearly they are great musicians, but the mixing actually jumps out at me as being great.
Hope it goes well.

elementary said:
Its absolutely not the sort of music I would choose to listen to most of the time, but its great!
Everything is so precise, clearly they are great musicians, but the mixing actually jumps out at me as being great.
Hope it goes well.
It's not my cup of tea either, but it cooked, and I'll go for that in any genre. This is my third session with this guitar player. He was in a cover band, then a Zydeco band, and now this Christian funk band.

It helped, I think, that they allowed me to act as kind of their "quasi-producer", and that let me do some creative things to make their song "better" - at least I hope I did.

They are really good. You captured them well, Harvey. The arrangement and the mix remind me a little of Steely Dan.

Well, the guitarist already knew the way I worked so we laid down a "Tele-style" rhythm track first time thru, and a "Les Paul-style" mellower rhythm track the second time around, and then panned to about 9:00 and 3:00. The leads and fills went on another track.

The keyboard player had two parts worked out; a piano, and horn stabs. I had him lay down a piano part in mono, then an organ patch, also in mono. They were panned about 8:00 and 4:00; fairly wide. I did the horn stabs in stereo and panned them in a little tighter, to sit with the backup vocals, about 10:30 and 2:30.

I had Heather (the lead singer) in with the backup singers just to give the backups a little more power, and I laid down four tracks of all four singers, giving me 16 backup voices, four to a track. I had them change places in front of the mic each track, and I only fed them their current track into the phones.

I panned two of the tracks to sit with the horns at 10:30 and 2:30, and the other two were wider at 8:30 and 3:30. It left a nice slot down the middle for the kick, snare, bass, and Heather's lead vocal.

I shoulda tracked Heather's scratch vocal with her wearing phones, but I just let the speakers in the control room blast. As it turned out, we used the scratch vocals (and just left in all the bleed from the speakers).

I think we had to fix the first rhythm guitar part in a couple of places, and redo a few of the horn stabs, but that was about it.

We knew it was already sounding good, just listening to the headphones mix, so I pretty well knew it would sound good during the final mix the next day.

Harvey Gerst said:
It's not my cup of tea either, but it cooked, and I'll go for that in any genre. This is my third session with this guitar player. He was in a cover band, then a Zydeco band, and now this Christian funk band.

It helped, I think, that they allowed me to act as kind of their "quasi-producer", and that let me do some creative things to make their song "better" - at least I hope I did.

Jesus Christ, I swear to god this is a great recording Harvey!

Mother of Jesus, I like it, swear to God.

Harvey Gerst said:
As I told the band, "Fuck yes!!! This is killer!!"
:D BWAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

maybe it was the control room speakers blaring that helped her deliver the scratch vocal? hard to second guess a good performance. some folks need the "loudness" of a "live" scenario to help em deliver.

i assume this was tracked to the Mackie HDR and mixed to dat? nice work!

cheers,
wade

HEY! Is that an Addams Family pinball machine i see there? that's my favorite of ALL TIME.

that's it, i'm gonna have to talk my band into cutting our album at your place instead of mine. :D

cheers,
wade

mrface2112 said:
:D BWAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

maybe it was the control room speakers blaring that helped her deliver the scratch vocal? hard to second guess a good performance. some folks need the "loudness" of a "live" scenario to help em deliver.

i assume this was tracked to the Mackie HDR and mixed to dat? nice work!

cheers,
wade
You assumed correctly.

mrface2112 said:
HEY! Is that an Addams Family pinball machine i see there? that's my favorite of ALL TIME.

that's it, i'm gonna have to talk my band into cutting our album at your place instead of mine. :D

cheers,
wade
Yes, we keep two free pinball machines (usually Addams Family and Star Wars) on hand at all times, in addition to Foosball, Nintendo, Playstation, DishTV, and about 500 DVD movies.

Back