UAD-1 cards

jimmys69

MOODerator
Ok, I just installed two UAD-1 cards, that I bought from Chili.

I have not yet been able to transfer the license, as they were closed by the time we did the transfer.

Opened a C7 project (a few actually, and I have a blank window, where the Inserts should be. Could this be because I have not yet registered any UAD plugs? Not sure why this would change things in Cubase...

I don't have anything to go by, as far as setting up Cubase to use UAD plugs.

Any ideas?

I think you need to wait until they authorize your plugs. Did you download 6.1 driver yet? I'm guessing you did because you pretty much know what you're doing.

Did you rescan the plugs with the Cubase Plug-In info thingamabob?

Yep, did all that. Heard that there are issues with UAD and C7, but now I cant even work with any C7 projects. Well, I have no ability to use inserts anyway...Just tried with Cubase 6.5, and everything works wonderfully. All of the UAD plugins seem to be working. I assume just demo period or something.

I can open C7 projects in 6.5, but that is really not going to be fun, as I have been using C7 for like 7 months now....

I will refrain from totally freaking out, until the cards are authorized.

:)

Ah I see. C6.5 go, '7 no go. :)
I was toying with the idea of maybe a UAD-1 for this old DAW turn internet-general purpose PC.

Yep, did all that. Heard that there are issues with UAD and C7, but now I cant even work with any C7 projects. Well, I have no ability to use inserts anyway...Just tried with Cubase 6.5, and everything works wonderfully. All of the UAD plugins seem to be working. I assume just demo period or something.

I can open C7 projects in 6.5, but that is really not going to be fun, as I have been using C7 for like 7 months now....

I will refrain from totally freaking out, until the cards are authorized.

:)

Oh no... Now I feel bad. I have Cubase 6.5 Artist. Never upgraded to C7. If they don't work, ship them back and I will gladly refund your money. :)

It seems a logical idea. Each UAD-1 card seems to go for about $80. Comes with some really good basic effects.

Through my stressing/research, I have heard that UAD-1 cards, do not work with PCI video cards. Only PCIe. Just putting that out there for ya. :)

Oh no... Now I feel bad. I have Cubase 6.5 Artist. Never upgraded to C7. If they don't work, ship them back and I will gladly refund your money. :)

Naw, I use 32 bit Cubase 7. Most issues are with 64 bit, and some people don't even seem to have any problems. It has something to do with sample rate restrictions, and buffer size (with C7 and Nuendo 6), that the plugs will just stop working, without any indication.

Nothing, involving losing insert abilities. I think it has most to do with the registration somehow. Yeah, don't make sense that it works in C6, but not 7, but you know how picky OS and software can be.

Funny thing, I deleted the UAD programs, before I opened C6 to try. They were still there. Friggen crazy! :)

Just deleted, and reinstalled UAD 6.1 drivers, just in case. We shall see tomorrow, when I get authorized to use the cards. Hopefully. :D

Hmm, I thought it might involve 32 vs 64 bit, but I guess not. UA has a forum, but no real answer for this problem that I could find there.

So, when Cubase starts up, do you see it scanning through the UAD plugs?? You should see the splash screen list all of them. even the ones you don't own.

Hmm, I thought it might involve 32 vs 64 bit, but I guess not. UA has a forum, but no real answer for this problem that I could find there.

So, when Cubase starts up, do you see it scanning through the UAD plugs?? You should see the splash screen list all of them. even the ones you don't own.

Yeah, no answer there either. That Is why I'm not gonna stress until I get registered.

Yeah, it scanned all the UAD stuff in both C7 and 6. Update Plugin info, and it there on both. Only Cubase 7, now has blank inserts window.

I might try a prefs trash. Maybe some conflict there. Wouldn't be the first time. Plus, I learned of a 'Safe Mode' way to do it, that just temporarily creates a newly created prefs folder. :)

I might try a prefs trash. Maybe some conflict there. Wouldn't be the first time. Plus, I learned of a 'Safe Mode' way to do it, that just temporarily creates a newly created prefs folder. :)

I've seen that kind of stuff work for work-realated problems, but with Cubase... over my head.

Good luck. Let me know if you get it working or not. If not, send them back. Again, no problem on my end. I think there are plenty of people with older systems willing to buy them and you will just have to save your pennies for a UAD-2. ;)

I have no doubt that I will get them working. Think I have just jumped the gun, by installing the shiz, before the shizzle.

I vaguely remembering having problems getting them going when I bought them. I think I sent one back to UAD for testing. Something about a power supply. That's how I got some free plugs.

But they work with 6.5. Hmmm... <pensive thinking pose>

Yeah, but the cards work. It is Cubase 7 that is not liking it so far. Loving the 1176! Playing with it now. :)

Maybe I will just PM TASCAM MAN....

Last edited:
UAD-1 cards can be finicky because they're old. I know, I have two.

Did you install the software before you put the cards into their PCI/e slots? That is the correct procedure.

Open the UAD Performance Meter and click on the little downwards arrow thing. Select UAD Control Panel. Does it look similar to this?:

UAD-2_System.jpg

If you see your cards there you have installed the hardware correctly. If not, you'll see something like "No cards detected" in red.

However, AFAIK, there are no 64-bit plugins for the UAD-1 cards in Windows 7 x64 for the UAD-1 cards. You can, however, run 32-bit Cubase in Windows 7 x64 and use the UAD-1 plugins there. This is what I have to do. The only other option is JBridge but I am personally not a fan because it adds an extra layer of processing and basically doubles native cpu load for each plugin instance.

I know, it's a bummer. I have a Mac at home with Lion using a 64-bit Kernel and I couldn't get the cards to even be recognized unless I inserted the arch=i386 boot flag into the bootloader to run the 32-bit kernel.

Fun fun fun when you're dealing with legacy products, eh?

Cheers :)

Hey Mo Facta, thanks for helping.

I still didn't get the transfer of license today, so will have to wait til Monday to call them. :(

The strange thing is, it works perfectly in C6. I can start demo's and use the included effects. In Cubase 7, I get this:

Here is what my UAD Control Panel looks like.

By the way, how did you get text after an attachment?

Attachments

• No Inserts.PNG
    No Inserts.PNG
    339.3 KB · Views: 9
  • UAD Control Panel.PNG
    UAD Control Panel.PNG
    248 KB · Views: 9
I did not install the software, before installing the cards Did not know thwe correct procedure. I will try that, as I seem to have a new problem now...

Ok, transfer request completed. Now, when I try to install the authorization file, I get this from Windows:

Attachments

• Registry error.PNG
    Registry error.PNG
    20 KB · Views: 12
Back