Two track stereo drum recording.

Naaaaa...there are many people on the forums who will tell you how to process it without ever hearing it. ;)

Look...you can't even make the decision on hearing just "it"... because it isn't going to be the same decision as when hearing it with the other tracks and how they all fit together.
But hang loose...I'm sure you'll get some "tips" anyway.... :D

(Just so you don't think I'm only being a wise ass) :)
YES...it helps to hear the whole mix before giving you a valid suggestion....if you don't mind posting up your mix.

Naaaaa...there are many people on the forums who will tell you how to process it without ever hearing it. ;)

Look...you can't even make the decision on hearing just "it"... because it isn't going to be the same decision as when hearing it with the other tracks and how they all fit together.
But hang loose...I'm sure you'll get some "tips" anyway.... :D

(Just so you don't think I'm only being a wise ass) :)
YES...it helps to hear the whole mix before giving you a valid suggestion....if you don't mind posting up your mix.

Yes I get that but I'm just wanting to know questions like what type of compression/limiting to apply with one track stereo drum mix. I realize things will change when the mix starts coming together but I just need a starting point with the drums. I also realize that with a single stereo track I am limited in the processing that I can apply.

Agree with the above about hearing it in context, But if I get a stereo drum track and want it to sound more like a fully mic'ed kit I do somethings that could maybe give you ideas.

-tab to transient drum replacement. Go through the entire track tabbing to each snare, kick, and tom hit, place a transient on a new track and then add samples to those. Then you've got individual control over each drum.

-Create some kind of artificial room track and send everything to it till it sounds most like a room. Compress and eq to taste and blend.

-If your going to use mainly the sampled drums with the old stereo track as over heads, high pass the overheads and compress a touch

-Use a drum sub to blend all of the above tracks and possibly use some parallel compression and eq to beef up the sound a bit

...and sure enough......it didn't take very long either.

Agree with the above about hearing it in context, But if I get a stereo drum track and want it to sound more like a fully mic'ed kit I do somethings that could maybe give you ideas.

-tab to transient drum replacement. Go through the entire track tabbing to each snare, kick, and tom hit, place a transient on a new track and then add samples to those. Then you've got individual control over each drum.

-Create some kind of artificial room track and send everything to it till it sounds most like a room. Compress and eq to taste and blend.

-If your going to use mainly the sampled drums with the old stereo track as over heads, high pass the overheads and compress a touch

-Use a drum sub to blend all of the above tracks and possibly use some parallel compression and eq to beef up the sound a bit
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yes, it totally sucks that people try to offer possible suggestions for stuff, with the disclaimer that they haven't heard the subject matter. Damn them for taking the time out of their day to try to help. :mad:

Yes, it totally sucks that people try to offer possible suggestions for stuff, with the disclaimer that they haven't heard the subject matter. Damn them for taking the time out of their day to try to help. :mad:

I'm all for people trying to help. But this doesn't help at all.

It's a ridiculously vague inquiry and suggestions on how to improve something nobody has heard are a waste of time at best.

We don't even know what kind of music it is, let alone how it sounds. Maybe he doesn't need to do anything to it, if it was tracked so well. Maybe it's Bluegrass or soft jazz....Who knows??? Which is exactly the point...WHO KNOWS????

No, but instead, let's just throw out a million things that can be done to a drum track and put the word "maybe" in front of every shot-in-the-dark suggestion to cover our asses. That really helps.:rolleyes:

It's a ridiculously vague inquiry and suggestions on how to improve something nobody has heard are a waste of time at best.

We don't even know what kind of music it is, let alone how it sounds. Maybe he doesn't need to do anything to it, if it was tracked so well. Maybe it's Bluegrass or soft jazz....Who knows??? Which is exactly the point...WHO KNOWS????

No, but instead, let's just throw out a million things that can be done to a drum track and put the word "maybe" in front of every shot-in-the-dark suggestion to cover our asses. That really helps.:rolleyes:

+100000 nice one

Listening to a drum track on it's own isn't going to be of much more help. :shrug:

Way I look at it is the same as anything mixing wise. Put the mix together, listen to it, decide what it needs, give it to it. But I don't think there's any harm in throwing out a few random techniques for the guy to consider if they just so happen to fit the bill. Yeah, it's messy, but this is HR.com. People still haven't got the hang of using the search engine, so messiness is going to come with the territory. :D

Listening to a drum track on it's own isn't going to be of much more help. :shrug:

Yes, of course hearing the drum track in the context of the song it's going to be in will help. But, listening to the drum track alone is still better than not hearing it at all.:)

On a related not, I have a guitar track. How should I process it???:eek:

Yes, of course hearing the drum track in the context of the song it's going to be in will help. But, listening to the drum track alone is still better than not hearing it at all.:)

On a related not, I have a guitar track. How should I process it???:eek:

Low cut everything under 200, compress, normalize, then autotune.

Back