Twister

The guitar sound is coarse...in contrast to the slickitude of the backing. I think something with a bit more distortion, or broader freq range...and some ambience to match the rest would be good.

The backing is very aggressive. The guitar is the feature.....not keeping up with the troops, I think.

Intro is a little long...and kinda namby-pamby. Like a theme for a 60's sitcom.

I think it needs more guts and definition in the guitar head....a bigger, in-yer-face melodic focus....some dazz.

Good sounds and recording. My only nit is the feature instrument.

Thanks Jeff. Good comments. And yeah, right now I'm at a loss for guitar tone. I lost my favorite tone shaping tool...an old 15W Trace Elliot Velocette that I got for next to nothing after it fried it's output transformer. I loved to mic that amp...it was very flexible and was a project studio dream. It got stolen a couple of years back and I've struggled without it. The guitarist on this recording doesn't have an amp and I had to rely on a fairly crappy modeler in Sonar.:o As for the intro, well, Cheese...it aint just for crackers. :D

Had a few moments here at work to listen, and man, I'm glad I did. Great sounding mix. All of the comments seemed to have caused corrections in the mix because, even though my ears aren't all that great, I couldn't hear problems with any of it.

Are those drums real? The timing is spot-perfect-on, and the sounds are a bit too polished for your usual "home recording drum kit"... Just curious.

The tune sounded great. Loved the guitar, horns, and that organ rocked my world! With tunes like this, the usual problem I find is that they are too short. They make great background music (and foreground music, for that matter), and when it ends, it always seems too early.

Great piece!

Thanks PI and Heat. You were dead on, Heat. The guitar sits much nicer now.
The drums are from my Fantom G, but as a side note, I play drums...but really, really badly. I do have a very solid internal clock, but not much else. This causes endless frustration for me because no matter how much I practice, I've just got to conclude I've got a wiring problem that won't let me get much better.:( When I resort to canned drums, I usually play them with little or no quantization to try to keep them at least human....I also try to do everything in one take, kick, snare, hat, toms and cymbals...just like an actual drummer. I'll punch in aux percussion stuff like cowbell and tamborine....I'm getting pretty good at keeping 4 fingers moving across the kit..it also keeps me honest from a drummers perspective...ie I've got to drop that ride/hat/snare when I go to the toms for a fill. It's not always perfect, but it certainly helps the drum track resemble something an actual drummer might play.:cool: Thanks for the listen and comments guys.

GREAT track ...... nice and funkay.
Makes me look very much forward to playin' with ya' at jamfest!
Nice organ work .... a fun tune.
One thing though ..... I actually went and got my headphones because everyone was talking about the horns sounding good ...... don't see how anyone could say that .... they're not just buried ... they're practically non-existent. Bari cuts thru ok but they section just isn't there really ..... no power or thickness to it at all.

But otherwise a very cool track.

GREAT track ...... nice and funkay.
Makes me look very much forward to playin' with ya' at jamfest!
Nice organ work .... a fun tune.
One thing though ..... I actually went and got my headphones because everyone was talking about the horns sounding good ...... don't see how anyone could say that .... they're not just buried ... they're practically non-existent. Bari cuts thru ok but they section just isn't there really ..... no power or thickness to it at all.

But otherwise a very cool track.

LOL...that's exactly how I felt about the horn tracks too, but I left em alone because I thought everyone else was hearing them fine.:D I might just do a horn-centric track for me! Thanks, man. I'm looking forward to playin' with you too!:cool:

I simply can't find anything wrong with this one, Teysha......
That organ sounds sliiiiiiiiick, man.....nice lead guitar playing too and boy, do I love that bass! Horns sound very real to me. Nice 3-dimensional mix and expert musicianship. Nice work.;)

Joey :)

I simply can't find anything wrong with this one, Teysha......
That organ sounds sliiiiiiiiick, man.....nice lead guitar playing too and boy, do I love that bass! Horns sound very real to me. Nice 3-dimensional mix and expert musicianship. Nice work.;)

Joey :)

Exactly what he said.

Back