Twister

TeyshaBlue

It's the smell..
Sorry. I hang out here and listen to tunes, then critique a few and it makes me want to post something up.:o I'm working on several projects right now of other folks and haven't had much time to record anything of my own, but here's a tune me and a couple of buddies laid down 4 weekends ago.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=9216764&q=hi&newref=1

Critique the mix...it seems a touch bright from time to time, which is new for me since I generally mix fairly dark.:confused: The horns seem a bit buried to me as well, but the Bari Sax line cuts through like an effin' laser.:D

Last edited:
Super clean, tight and punchy.

The bass sounds great and the organ in particular sounds super cool. What is it...a real organ or some simulation? Either way, sounds great.

I didn't find the horns to be too buried myself.

It seemed as though the electric guitar came in a bit too hot at first maybe?...later in the track the level seemed fine to me, in fact there were at least a few licks that I wished were louder...I dunno. I like what sounded like a short delay on the guitar...gave it nice sense of space without pushing it back too much. Great mix - 1st rate playing. :)

Not bad. The guitar comes in a little abruptly and kind of sits on top of the mix in that first run through. It falls in to place once everything else piles in. The snare is a little thin. Kick gets buried at times. Other than that, sounds fine to me. Horns sound really good.

Yup horns sound excellent.....ive been using some horn samples recently and they sound awful compared...

The keyboards a synth? sounds great as well...none of it sounded too bright for me, all super clean and perfect levels

Thanks for the comments. Now that I've read them, I agree on the abruptness of the guitar...it does sit a bit outside until the second verse when the horns join in. I think I'll touch that up a bit tonight. Dunno what I can do with the kick outside of a touch of EQ to pull it up a bit....same for the snare. Ordinarily, I'd throw those on sep. tracks so I can massage them, but we were just slamming this one down and I short cut the drum mix from the Fantom to 2 tracks.
The organ was a Hammond patch I have on my Fantom G, slight distortion added. It's a pretty tasty patch...I dig it.:cool:

Thanks for the comments. Now that I've read them, I agree on the abruptness of the guitar...it does sit a bit outside until the second verse when the horns join in. I think I'll touch that up a bit tonight. Dunno what I can do with the kick outside of a touch of EQ to pull it up a bit....same for the snare. Ordinarily, I'd throw those on sep. tracks so I can massage them, but we were just slamming this one down and I short cut the drum mix from the Fantom to 2 tracks.
The organ was a Hammond patch I have on my Fantom G, slight distortion added. It's a pretty tasty patch...I dig it.:cool:

Try some gentle compression on the drum mix. It can tighten up the kit and make the kick a little more prominent.

Not much to add to what the others have said. Liked the organ at 1:33.

Good playing all around.

Did I hear a little background noise at 2:32? Not sure.

Other than that, real good.

Hell yeah that organ kicks butt. Funky stuff. Your snare does something quite odd at 2:30. Might be on purpose. It does sound a bit thin throughout. Other than that I can't find any problems. This one got me smiling, thanks.

Link works fine here. Loved this. Tight and punchy is correct. Agree with the drum comments. Love the organ and lead guitar tone. A real toe tapper. I'll bet it was fun recording this one.

I dunno what's goin on with Soundclick, but it seems to be working today.:confused:

I did update the mix this morning per the suggestions. I added a little compression to the drum mix to try to fill the kick and snare out a bit...it is punchier although I'm not in love with the tone of the snare. Pulled the guitar back into the mix over the first couple of verses..it sits better I think.

Thanks for the ears and critiques!:cool:

Wish my snare sounded that good.

Tight and punchy. I like how the clavinet peeks out on the one.

It seems like the second or third time the lead guitar speaks up I'm wanting a woolier, gnarlier tone.

I like the horns, too. Nice work, Teysha.

Vocals coming?

I think that sounds pretty damn good, I have no nits on any of it... I like how u have the horns / guitars / keys kinda taking turns leading. good stereo, nice tones on the instruments.

Tighter than...
Smooth jazz isn't a very apt description though.
Nice organ grinding in particular.
The percussicves are just that!
Nice touch of growl on the bass - cool stuff!!

The guitar sound is coarse...in contrast to the slickitude of the backing. I think something with a bit more distortion, or broader freq range...and some ambience to match the rest would be good.

The backing is very aggressive. The guitar is the feature.....not keeping up with the troops, I think.

Intro is a little long...and kinda namby-pamby. Like a theme for a 60's sitcom.

I think it needs more guts and definition in the guitar head....a bigger, in-yer-face melodic focus....some dazz.

Good sounds and recording. My only nit is the feature instrument.

Back