Treating my home studi (1st time)

I thought I covered putting foam over rockwool in one of the first posts. Yes it helps diffuse, no it doesn't really help for acoustic treatment (doesn't null low enough frequencies to be useful).
Egg crate is a myth. Does little to nothing for the room.

The bass trap, if properly constructed, absorbs the high frequencies, the foam isn't going to add anything.

I know I disagree with the majority on this point, but I've heard John Brandt say something similar and I know I've said it somewhere on HR in the past couple weeks. Putting foam over fiberglass adds dispersion. Not that it helps with taming frequencies or any such, but it helps with flutter echo and should be used if your treatment leaves you some of that. I didn't use any, as it's not usually a problem in small rooms, but built diffusers for the back wall instead of trapping. I've still got 8 of my 2x2 traps left because I did, and am thinking of using them in the living room to get some better sound from the entertainment system.

Since the traps are already absorbing the high frequencies, I can't see that the foam would do much when mounted on them. better to mount it on the side walls or other hard surfaces that would be causing the flutter echo. Diffusion will happen from hard surfaces, so in the case of foam on a wall, the soundwaves getting angled from the foam's effect as bounced to/from the wall behind them.

I know I disagree with the majority on this point, but I've heard John Brandt say something similar and I know I've said it somewhere on HR in the past couple weeks. Putting foam over fiberglass adds dispersion. Not that it helps with taming frequencies or any such, but it helps with flutter echo and should be used if your treatment leaves you some of that. I didn't use any, as it's not usually a problem in small rooms, but built diffusers for the back wall instead of trapping. I've still got 8 of my 2x2 traps left because I did, and am thinking of using them in the living room to get some better sound from the entertainment system.

I highly doubt that is anything but a slight misunderstanding in use. As I have read about it, there is yes a bit of dispersion benefit when adding a foam skin to a layer of low frequency absorption material. Though this is more about thin walled adsorption in automotive applications. It is all a science and I am sure there may be some benefits of use in a studio situation.

But this is home recording. I would save the expense and use the treatment where best used to keep budget as low as possible.

Just like adding a $3000 preamp to gain 5% of performance enhancement, I would start with the basics before adding big cost for a possible slight boost in a bass traps performance.

Here are some links that to me show that Rockwool or the similar products are already better at absorption of high end frequencies on their own. Then the Auralex specs.

Absorption Coefficients

Auralex

I am not sure how adding something that performs less to another is worthy, but I could totally be wrong. Maybe the dispersion is a factor?

Even then, I would use the foam as spot treatment for reflections (maybe). If the rockwool panels do it on their own then I don't see the need to increase the budget. We are talking about a small room and not a professional studio right?

I would personally suggest you start with the bass traps. Then see where you are at. Take measurements and see what works in your room.

Or spend the money wisely and hire a professional like JH Brandt and forget about guessing. It's your budget not mine.

:)

I could be totally wrong here. I just learn like the rest of us do. By reading, building, trying and testing.

Okay, so bass traps (super chunks) in the front corners floor to ceiling done.

Now im gonna do the back corner traps, can you send me a tutorial or measurements/pics of what you mean broken h? :)

Back