Tracking bass guitar

From the manual:

Also, it sounds like an SVT.

The Bassman in the standard models is called "Silverface Bass". The Bass expansion has a couple others.

But keep using the Rock Classic if it works for what you're doing!

Do you compress/automate before or after the amp?

You're right, I alternate between the Silverface and the Rock Classic (whichever one I find first!)

I put the compressor as a stompbox before the amp. If I compress post-amp/cabinet, I use ReaComp, but don't remember doing that for bass when using PodFarm.

Gearbox was discontinued, they rolled all its sounds into Podfarm a few years ago, so I don't think you can find a legitimate version of it.
There is a free version of PodFarm (limited amp models and fx) but it cannot be used as a plug-in, only stand-alone.

Last edited:
I record bass 3 ways, depending on the sound I want.

1) I run into my Ampeg BA12 then out to the audio interface. I may or may not use an ART tube preamp between the bass and the amp.

2) I mic the amp with an SM57 close to the grill.

3) I use a large diaphragm condenser microphone about 3 to 4 feet away from the amp. I don't know if a lot of other people do this, but I get a nice indie rock or sometime punk sounding bass this way.

Compression, reverb, additional EQing done in the DAW.

I have guitar rig which has some bass stuff and I had an official Ampeg plug but I'm not fussed on sims much and since I have some decent gear I spend ages rehearsing the bass track focussing on even playing pressure, synching with the bass drum, (important-when in synch EQ needs to be considered) etc.
Bass into Behringer BDI21 -> split signal going a) to interface & b) to Marshall Superbass MkII into an ETONE 200W single cone cab mic'd.
I occasionally use an Alesis Compressor/Limiter on the way into the BDI21.
More often than not I compress with Reacomp and add a few tweaks to EQ as well depending on the mix.
Blend the two tracks in Reaper - automate the faders a bit to deal with what the compressor didn't fix and whammo.
When I can't record LOUDLY I just use the BDI21 which is a copy of the Sansamp & VERY, VERY good except when you consider its price tag and then it is EXTREMELY good.

Last edited:
Back