Tracking bass guitar

dainbramage

I've heard many people track bass direct. Do you?

If you do, do you use any plugins? If not, how do you mic your amp?

I'm not asking what's best. I'm asking what you prefer and why.

I have a Warwick active bass. I plug it straight into the interface.

About 90% of the time that's it . . . no further treatment.

Sometimes I use a bit of compression.

Sometimes I use a bit of reverb.

It depends on the engineer's preference. Some prefer to use only direct, others like to mic an amp, some will track both. Any good mic with a good low end response should work. My fave is a EV RE20 placed close to the cab near the edge of the dust cover. For recording at home, I use my Duet 2 interface to record, then use amp sim, eq, compressor plugins while mixing.

Bassically, Michael

I do both and sometimes together. I have an Ampeg BA210 which I can mic or take a line out from. I usually have a dynamic and a condenser on my amp then I can take my pick or blend.

If I DI bass then I have the Ampeg FX Suite vst which is pretty good and gives good results. Lots of different amp simulations.

I also have the choice of 4 different bass guitars at my disposal to achieve a desired sound.

I like bass :thumbs up:

My chain is a Fender American Jazz into a BBE BMAX preamp with a cheap alesis 3630 compressor.

I may mess with taking out some of the super low and high frequencies after the fact with a plugin, but that's it. No further processing.

On the off chance that someone shows up to record their bass rig and the rig is any good I'll use a D112 microphone and get it out in front of the amp. I do mean out in front, I don't close mic it like a guitar amp. I probably get it out in front around a solid 1-2' away.

If you do, do you use any plugins?
Sometimes I track bass direct. I don't use plug ins, I just plug straight into the input in my DAW. The sound that the Akai DPS12i brings forth after the bass has been DI'd is a lovely thick, creamy one. But I think different machines bring out different sounds. Whenever I used to DI on my Tascam 488 portastudio, the sound was never good. I used to have to DI from my amp to get good tones. Presently, if I go DI from my current amp, I get a very particular sound which is only good for certain songs. It's a very "woody" kind of tone.
how do you mic your amp?
I stick a mic in front of it. :D

I don't go for just one bass sound, I go for a variety, some with fingers, some with metal pick, thimble or plastic picks.
If I'm going to just mic the amp, I'll literally stick a mic in front of it, usually about a foot or so away. Where I point the mic {centrally, to the edge, at the top...} is determined by the whim of the moment. Sometimes, I'll have the mic on a stand pointing down towards the amp from maybe three or four feet.
On other occasions, I'll use a guitar amp, miked in the same way as those mentioned above.
I said that I don't use plug ins but on occasion, I will use the Behringer BD 121 which is their equivalent of a sansamp. It's actually pretty good. Sometimes I'll mix it on fuzzy setting with other bass sounds.
One thing I hit on when I went digital and was looking to carry on the experimentation of my analog period was to record simultaneously from 3 sources. I have a Palmer splitter box so I plug the bass into it and feed one output to the amp and mic that. The other output goes straight into the DAW. On top of that, I run the line out of the amp into the DAW for some extra growl so there are 3 signals recorded then I bounce them to one track, blending and EQ~ing along the way.
All of that is with my regular 5 string bass. I also have a fretless acoustic bass guitar. It really is below the bottom of the range. I bought it in the back of a shop that sells beds ! It used to have a ridiculously naff sound but I put smooth strings on it and with some manipulation of the very basic EQ on it, plugged into the guitar amp, with a little chorus on, I can get a reasonable 'grim approximation' of a fretless bass. I tend to record it same way, with a mic in front of the amp. I rarely, if ever, go right up to the grill in any of the configurations I use.
As far as mikes go, I often use the SM 58 on the bass amp. Partly because I have one, partly because they're meant to be "bass proximity" lovers. I also use the bass drum mics from my drum mic set {I have a set by Behringer and one by Superlux} sometimes. They all do the job.
It's all a bit random, educated guesses mixed in with a little familiarity and a little less knowledge. The kind of bass sound I'll go for is dependent on the type of song. I'm not going to use the fuzz of the BD121 blended with the guitar amp sound played with thimbles on a soft~ish, relatively quiet song, for instance.

Most the time these days...straight into the Interface and then Gearbox.

I was comparing my Isa One DI channel($350) this morning to the UX2 w/Gearbox software ($70 used) and the Gearbox has so much more control, so many more options.

the sample is 15 seconds ISA One nothing else, then the 2nd is GEarbox, then Gearbox sim Isa One, then a bass w/effects sample...its really unlimited what a person can get out of the Gearbox software (the new version is Pod Farm...I like the discontinued Gearbox layout better)

GearBox
1) bunch of preamps available
2) slew of speaker sim cabinets single 15" or 4x10 etc..and they do sound different.
3) then choosing of 4 mics, dynamic to tube
4) distance of mic from cab adjustment available, which adds a slight room reverb
* onboard Tuner for a fast tune check
*hum reducer for single coils

Attachments

• Coolcat Bass ISA One Gearbox.mp3
    2.2 MB · Views: 10
  • Bass pic GearBox.png
    Bass pic GearBox.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 200
It looks like the same thing, its probably free, it was discontinued a long time ago.

Gearbox works in Reaper supposedly too.
I just recently tossed it into Reaper and it shows up in the FX selection lists. Havent tried it yet.

It looks like the same thing, its probably free, it was discontinued a long time ago.

Gearbox works in Reaper supposedly too.
I just recently tossed it into Reaper and it shows up in the FX selection lists. Havent tried it yet.
Cool. I'll try to find it free. I edited my post and deleted the link because it started looking a little scammy and spammy when I started downloading it. But I'll try to find it. Thanx man.

lol... you dont want to risk a Saturday virus scam pc crash?

I got a cd with a used ux2, it was a unplanned purchase blahblahblah turned out to be enjoyable software.

As for downloading and VST....I struggle.

What I see is there seems to be three files .dll extensions.
From a Gearbox folder there is a sub-folder called VST...
so I dropped that into Reaper form the Cockos forum its mentioned.
there are three files in reaper, VST : Gearbox Mono, another says Mono/Stereo and another says Stereo
Supposedly it works well with Reaper....if its free, damn

Its been wierd and strange, this stuff has made it super hard to spend money on gear for recording because I cant tell a difference in anything anymore from the gearbox stuff and eq's etc...

Live gear is going to the sons band these days, they need the real artillary.

Hell Rami, your Stones Rainbow tune is one of the best I ever heard done, doesnt seem you need more other than for fun?

Free GAS ?

Free GAS ?
Basically. I get easily distracted by shiny toys. If you didn't post a screenshot of your Gearbox, I probably wouldn't have even cared. But it looks cool. :D

(oh, and thanx man. I appreciate that)

If you do, do you use any plugins? If not, how do you mic your amp?

These days, my first choice is:
Bass--->DI input on my Langevin Dual Vocal Combo.
That's it mainly....though on some tracks I may also run it through the optical limiter of the DVC, lightly.....depends on the feel I want.
Prior to that I might have used a DI stomp box (I have a few different ones)...and then run that out and into one of my pres.
The rest would be just some EQ during OTB mixdown, with sometimes a little rack compression to adjust the attack.

I did pick up the Waves Renaissance Bass plug a few months ago, and so far I've only tried it out on some bass tracks from songs that have yet to be mixed....so I haven't quite come up with any settings that I plan on using, but the plug is quite good, and capable of completely changing/shaping your original bass tone into something totally different....from funky to earth shattering. I'll probably end up using it on my next mix just to see how it all comes out.

Same as my guitars. Buffered into a line input and into PodFarm. I bought the bass expansion pack on sale a little while back, but I actually use most of those for other instruments. Lately I've been using way too much of the "Rock Classic" SVT model, but I like the AC100 and the fliptop for a lot of things, too. I'll usually compress going into the amp, especially for clean work, though I've been trying to get out of that habit. ReaComp usually works fine for that. That is pretty much it for basic bass.

Sometimes I shoot for something more like the 6 string bass work ala the Cure or New Order. That'd be whatever chorus plug catches my fancy that day (maybe mVibrato lately) into a guitar amp sim. The JC120 or maybe even a twin. Swap cabs to taste, but since I'm usually not depending on this for bass, it might be the match to the JC or even one of the smaller tweed cabs.

Which mic model I use depends on what's going on around it, and specifically what I need for that mix. I find it a bit disappointing that the mic selection doesn't cross over between the guitar and bass cabs. Why can't I close mic the 4x15 with a 57? Oh that's right, because I don't own a real 4x15...

I use every method, sometimes direct, DI or Valve Pre, sometimes miced speaker, sometimes both. Depends on the type of music, the player and the quality of the bass it's self. Whatever suits. I must say that I do really like the sound of a miced speaker the best

Alan.

I've got a few different basses, active and passive, and these days it's pretty much just DI. I used to blend mic and DI but I think I just got lazy. :D

I may sprinkle some chorus effect on it if the song calls for it but other than that, some compression and let it ride.

DI and PodFarm plug-in. I'll typically use the 'Rock Classic' (basically a Bassman) amp, with a 2x15 cabinet. I might run a compressor on the track if the playing volume varies a lot, but usually I'l just automate the volume.

DI and PodFarm plug-in. I'll typically use the 'Rock Classic' (basically a Bassman) amp, with a 2x15 cabinet. I might run a compressor on the track if the playing volume varies a lot, but usually I'l just automate the volume.
From the manual:
Rock Classic
For 30 years now, we’ve heard the tone and felt the power of the mighty Ampeg SVT that the POD Farm 2 Rock Classic model is based on.
Also, it sounds like an SVT.

The Bassman in the standard models is called "Silverface Bass". The Bass expansion has a couple others.

But keep using the Rock Classic if it works for what you're doing!

Do you compress/automate before or after the amp?

Active Schecter bass into Mindrpint Envoice channel strip with a reasonable amount of compression to help iron out my dodgy strings and/or bass playing....

Given the amount of trouble I have with the damn bass, I can definitely recommend you don't copy anything I do... :D

Back