Top tips for drum tracking at home

fris9

Here's my situation.....I have M-Powered Pro Tools with a Firewire 1814. Decent mics (Shure 52, 57's, I-5).....running through a Mackie board and/or UA 610 solo preamp. I have been able to get really good home recordings with this setup, better than some cheaper studios I've been to. I'm thinking that for maximum flexibility (i.e not on the clock) and since I'm not rich, I'd record the basic tracks at home, drums, gtr, bass, then take them to a real studio to mix/master. So.....my broad question is what are the essential things to remember while tracking, especially regarding compression,etc? Or should I record without compression and have the real engineers apply the good stuff during the mix/master phase? Hope this isn't too conviluted....

Well, what compressors do you have? There are certain ones that you can track with without fear of screwing too much up.

I rarely track with compression unless i'm going to for a slammed room mic. I think it's better to leave it for later.

So basically just record all tracks at the highest levels without or with minimal clipping?
No. You don't want to clip or go anywhere near clipping. Keep your peaks way down to at least -6db. No need to go anywhere near 0db. Also, unless there's a specific reason you think you need to use one, I can't think of any good reason to compress during tracking.

Compression during tracking should only be needed as a repair for something....In which case the placement and/or the gain staging is wrong.......Or as an effect for a particular instrument. Do this only if you have no intention of changing your mind as compression cannot be erased.

Ok....so, maybe a dumb question, but why only record to -6? Why not to just below clipping? Don't you want as much signal as possible?

Ok....so, maybe a dumb question, but why only record to -6? Why not to just below clipping? Don't you want as much signal as possible?

No, that's what people did recording to tape to saturate the tape, which is desireable. You don't want to ever clip in digital recording, though. If you're recording at 24 bit, there's no need to go past -6 (I'm just throwing -6 out there as a number). The point is, there's no reason to go close to 0db and you're losing absolutely nothing even you were only peaking at -12db.

I guess this is where I get a little confused.....If I'm not using compression, and let's say I need to hear one instrument over another while recording I shouldn't crank that fader to get more volume?

The way I've always done is set the fader at zero and make sure I'm not going into the red. Is that wrong? Faders just control the volume, right? Input signal solely controls the input level right? Sorry if this is extremely basic....like I said, I usually just record and make sure I'm not going into the red.

The level fader in your DAW should only control the output. Input gain should be a separate entity. Are you talking about monitoring here? If so, I'd just turn the other stuff down to be safe, and rather bring it back up during mixing.

I'm starting to get confused about what we're talking about here. Just to be clear, I'm talking about RECORDING levels...not input levels on a board or where the faders should be on a mixer.

My own personally suggestions for drum recording...

Don't use a compressor or anything else on the way in. It isn't necessary and it can't be undone once its there.

Make sure none of your signals clip even on the hardest drum hit. That might mean you don't get much for levels on "normal" hits, but you get a peak at teh hardest hit(s). That's what volume automation is for. :D

Tune your drums. I just picked up a drum dial a couple nights ago. Maybe a "real" drummer doesn't need one and can tune by ear, but I'm not a drummer (just the guy recording them).

Small changes in mic placement can make a big difference in sound. Experiment.

The quality of mic you have makes a difference. If you have a cheapo $100 drum mic kit, it wont sound as good as something more suited (and likely more expensive).

Your room matters. Alot. When recording drums, you'll most likely have overhead mics in some configuration. Those mics being so far away from each sounds source (each drum), will inevitably be very representative of your room. Treat for acoustics, and get a better drum sound.

*disclamer* I'm not a drummer. I'm not a professional recording engineer. I've been home recording for maybe 8 years now, and I've found all of those things above to be true in my case.

Don't expect too much, you will never get a truly professional sound tracking at home so don't be disheartened if it doesn't come out exactly the way you want...there's always drum replacing, its not cheating everyone does it ;)

Don't expect too much, you will never get a truly professional sound tracking at home so don't be disheartened if it doesn't come out exactly the way you want...there's always drum replacing, its not cheating everyone does it ;)

I totally disagree with this statement. And, no, not EVERYONE uses "drum replacing". Many of us work hard at getting our drums to sound as good as possible so that they can record as good as possible.
If you know how to tune your drums and have spent some time on room treatment as well as finding the right mic placement for the sounds you're looking for, there's no reason you can't get a great drum recording at home.

I totally disagree with this statement. And, no, not EVERYONE uses "drum replacing". Many of us work hard at getting our drums to sound as good as possible so that they can record as good as possible.
If you know how to tune your drums and have spent some time on room treatment as well as finding the right mic placement for the sounds you're looking for, there's no reason you can't get a great drum recording at home.

okay obviously I was exaggerating a bit, I just dont want him to make the same mistake I made. I tried for ages to get a good drum sound in my old house, I bought new skins, I bought new mics, I spent literally hours taping various things to various drums and I spent money I didn't really have to spare, it literally made me wanna cry sometimes when I listened back weeks later to the sound of a cardboard box being stamped on by a horse. In retrospect I wish I'd spent the money on drumagog and spent my time more wisely, its just a suggestion dude

I'd tend to agree with the RAM here. Have a listen to some of his songs with particular attention to the drums. One thing I would ask you though. What do you define as a good/great drum sound ? Or perhaps to put the question another way, do you have some idea in your own mind what kind of drum sound you are aiming at ? There are lots of drums on albums and singles I have from across 6 decades that, if I were to isolate just the drums and listen, then I find I don't particularly like them. That doesn't spoil my enjoyment of those tracks coz I'm a listener first and foremost, but I am aware that there are drum sounds I like and some that I don't. I find I keep saying this, but experiment !

I'd tend to agree with the RAM here. Have a listen to some of his songs with particular attention to the drums. One thing I would ask you though. What do you define as a good/great drum sound ? Or perhaps to put the question another way, do you have some idea in your own mind what kind of drum sound you are aiming at ? There are lots of drums on albums and singles I have from across 6 decades that, if I were to isolate just the drums and listen, then I find I don't particularly like them. That doesn't spoil my enjoyment of those tracks coz I'm a listener first and foremost, but I am aware that there are drum sounds I like and some that I don't. I find I keep saying this, but experiment !

maybe thats the point then, I'd define a "great" drum sound as a huge wall of sound that hit you like a shotgun - and maybe thats why I couldn't get it in my old house, I appreciate people probably like different things though :cool:

If your going to track at home and then move everything to the studio I advise against using compression. Bring all your tracks as dry as possible. You said your already getting good recordings. So... the only thing that I would suggest is using good isolation techniques and mic placement for drums. Take a dry DI signal for guitar and bass so you can re-amp in the studio. Basically just bring a session that is really flexible and dry.

maybe thats the point then, I'd define a "great" drum sound as a huge wall of sound that hit you like a shotgun - and maybe thats why I couldn't get it in my old house, I appreciate people probably like different things though :cool:

I've only consciously realized this recently, but I like so many different drum sounds. I listen to a very wide spectrum of music and it's frankly amazing to me that so many different drum sounds exist ! So my preferred sounds of drums varies from song to song. I guess I was asking fris9 if he was clear in his mind what he was looking for or aiming at because I find now, I'm alot more fussy about drum sounds. When my drum collaborators get out them lightning rods, I'm like "no ! no !".
{I was in Sheffield last month when it snowed. My family loved the city.}

Back