Thoughts on Orange..

i like to support US made things as much as i can. i'm lookin on spending money, and i've already put too much into China's economy...

not to say every component wasnt made in china..

vox is made in england right? thats ok too.

the CC is the better one, with the differnt speaker right?

TragikRemix said:
i like to support US made things as much as i can. i'm lookin on spending money, and i've already put too much into China's economy...

Vox was made in England. Then they came out with the "Custom Classic"....which is another way of saying Made in China.

TragikRemix said:

It's nice to back American made but don't discount some amps because of the area it's made. I have a chinese Vox(I know...I've said this before and even in this thread) and it's kick ass. Just remember a majority of the money isn't going to china to build these, that's why they're so cheap. If you want some really good reviews on the Tiny Terror(which is the next amp on my short list) go over to gearslutz.com and check out the New Gear section, the review should still be on the first page and the thread's already 3 pages long. Another cool amp to consider would be the Randall rm20 with the single module space. Yes my vox kicked it's ass but that was only against one of the 20 or so modules available. It's a kick ass little studio tool and is another amp on my short list.

Outlaws said:
As cool as the old Fender combos are, they are not really versatile IMO. They do one thing and they do it damn well.

We're talking about something compared to a Tiny Terror, which is a one-trick pony if there ever was one.

jonnyc said:
It's nice to back American made but don't discount some amps because of the area it's made. I have a chinese Vox(I know...I've said this before and even in this thread) and it's kick ass. Just remember a majority of the money isn't going to china to build these, that's why they're so cheap. If you want some really good reviews on the Tiny Terror(which is the next amp on my short list) go over to gearslutz.com and check out the New Gear section, the review should still be on the first page and the thread's already 3 pages long. Another cool amp to consider would be the Randall rm20 with the single module space. Yes my vox kicked it's ass but that was only against one of the 20 or so modules available. It's a kick ass little studio tool and is another amp on my short list.

We should probably farm the space program and maybe the rest of the Iraq war out to them too.

c7sus said:
We should probably farm the space program and maybe the rest of the Iraq war out to them too.

That's probably the smartest thing I've ever read on this forum. Are you on the ballot for '08? You think they'd handle Iran for us too? Man their food kicks ass, just like their electronics.

Do some reading guys, don't take someone's word for it. The TT is NOT made in China. ;)

It is made in Korea, with much higher quality control, and the same British parts as if it were made in the UK. I actually took it apart, British Orange design all the way through. :cool:

I own one, it is awesome (for what it is). I would easily recommend it to any studio owner, including the big boys.

It is good for bar gigs, as it doesn't weigh a ton, even in the 7 watt mode with a 4x12 it sings.

I don't give two sweet *%$%*hits where it's made, it sounds very, very good, and is definitely not a "one trick pony"....my opinion of course, but that is the one that matters to me..do I own other amps? Yes...
BW

Rocker 30

Check out the rocker 30 it kicks ass!! I just love the darn thing. Look around and you can get them for a good price. i got mine in a local music store on consignment for 625. I have a fender pro reverb, and it sounds great on the clean channel, but the distortion lacks a lot. the orange sounds just as good if not better on the clean channel, you litterally can can hear subtle overtones when playing . The distortion channel is awesome! It's like Multiple built in effects boxes. Different kinds of distortion the more you crank it. Try one and you will like it!!

JasonBird

Vox and Oranges are different

Try both if you can, I feel my Vox gives a great fuzzy tone I can dig, but for a raw rock, treble oriented, balls to the wall feel the Orange is great.

I love my Vox and I love Orange amps.

Apples and Oranges. (pun intented lol)

What if it's not where it's made, what if you generally just don't like amps that were made after 1974? Just something about PC Board that gets to me... A sick piece of me would take a point to point solid state amp made with good parts over a middle of the road PC board tube amp. But then again I'm a crazy...

I played the tiny terror at NAMM and I don't care where they are made or what anyone says that little amp kicks! It's a very great sounding amp and is the perfect recording amp. I have plans to get one and a Rockerverb 30 combo too.

Outlaws said:

Mesa says the same thing. I hear what he's saying, and there's a lot to be said about efficiency, still, it bothers me. Typically (which it's not always the case), here's what happens when using a board instead of PTP. PTP requires a lot of love and dedication. Although I'm certainly not an old hand at solder, I'd estimate teh ratio you could solder at 5:1 in favor of PCB. But it's literally a slippery slope. "Oh, I'm using PCB, so I'll use the cheaper caps instead of Sprague Adams, not that much of a difference, and the smaller pots instead of the full size ones" and you say, "no big deal, it's still an Orange!" But drop the chasis (they do use very nice OP transformers, I'll give them that, and they're stylish to boot) and take a look, a lot of corners are cut.

hungovermorning said:
Mesa says the same thing. I hear what he's saying, and there's a lot to be said about efficiency, still, it bothers me. Typically (which it's not always the case), here's what happens when using a board instead of PTP. PTP requires a lot of love and dedication. Although I'm certainly not an old hand at solder, I'd estimate teh ratio you could solder at 5:1 in favor of PCB. But it's literally a slippery slope. "Oh, I'm using PCB, so I'll use the cheaper caps instead of Sprague Adams, not that much of a difference, and the smaller pots instead of the full size ones" and you say, "no big deal, it's still an Orange!" But drop the chasis (they do use very nice OP transformers, I'll give them that, and they're stylish to boot) and take a look, a lot of corners are cut.

Just for the record, there are NO point to point amps on the market currently that I know of. At least not anything over 5 watts with a volume knob and an input. Turret board is what all these "PTP" amps are. Point to point looks like a spiderweb inside. See the old Rangemaster pedal. That is what PTP looks like. Component A's lead goes directly to component B. Its a clusterfuck.

Outlaws said:
As cool as the old Fender combos are, they are not really versatile IMO. They do one thing and they do it damn well.

You got that right. I have a '64 blackface Deluxe Reverb that is Not For Sale, but if I want a Marshall sound, or a Mesa sound, or a (god help me) Peavey sound, well, I've got those amps. I've got a little Supro single ended 6V6 amp that kicks 10 watt ass, too.

But "my sound" is the glassy quack of a clean Strat bridge+middle, and the BFDR does a superb job with that.

Outlaws said:
Just for the record, there are NO point to point amps on the market currently that I know of. At least not anything over 5 watts with a volume knob and an input. Turret board is what all these "PTP" amps are. Point to point looks like a spiderweb inside. See the old Rangemaster pedal. That is what PTP looks like. Component A's lead goes directly to component B. Its a clusterfuck.

The only one I know of is Lancaster Amplification, but he's small-time out of Peoria and he doe up to 50 watts. No turret board. I own a few a true point to point amplifiers (ex: DuKane, Grommes, Bogen) and I enjoy them very much. Repair and modifiaction are also much easier. You're right, if you're assembling, it's a rough task. I can't even imagine what it would cost to manufacture a true PTP amp in a factory and market it today. Maybe $4000?

Back