Thoughts on Orange..

TragikRemix

I am NOT a Gear Whore. ;)
i want to get a smaller higher end tube amp. i have a hot rod deluxe, which is nice, but just a lil too big.

i was considering a Vox AC15.

then i said, what about Orange??

i checked it out, and thye have that little 15w guy, the Tiny Terror. i'd pair that with a 1x12" cab from them and maybe it'll kick ass.

anyone using one/have used one? i'd take a trip out to across the island to check one out, and i want to leave the place with one i think.

thanks guys.

I tried one out here in MI. It definitely made me smile, and the 15 watts were plenty through a 4-12. It's also switchable to 7 watts, if that helps.

Some people might have beef with the Tiny Terror because it isn't British-built, but it has a lot going for it: 1) great tone, 2) $549 price tag, 3) a smart design (including an all-metal case like a THD, a useful handle, and an included gig bag), and, in all dorkiness, a sweet name. If I weren't so well endowed, that would make a good tattoo! :D

The only possible downfall is that it only has a single tone knob, but that didn't bother me. I left it at 12 o'clock and the little sucker sang.

cool.

i think at that price, how can i go wrong. $550 for a boutique amp that is going to be quiet enough but be able to be cranked and get that meat i'm looking for in recordings.

thanks.

anyone else ever use one?

compared to 40w its quiet. i can't crank it passed 2 and theres not enough crunch at that level.

atleast being able to put it on 5 or so would be cool.

I would take my BiValve or the UniValve over that thing. That is a "boutique" amp at a reasonable price. Plus you can use any tube you want, any combination you want, it has a HotPlate built in (because 15 watts is actually still very loud), and it has Line Out - switchable to an Instrument out (yes, for driving the front end of another amp!), and a built in dummy load so you can use the Line out without a speaker.

I miss that thing.

thats the THD one right?

and the hot plate is the built in attenuator right?

thats also another option. are those out of production now?

TragikRemix said:
thats the THD one right?

and the hot plate is the built in attenuator right?

thats also another option. are those out of production now?
You are correct, but I never heard they are out of production.
See my edited post above about the light bulb..... ;)

Oh ya, and the contruction of the internal parts are something else. Thick ass PCB.

Last edited:
Yeah the difference between 15 and 40 watts really isn't the big, even wide open. Also the Tiny Terror is not, repeat, is not boutique. It comes off an assembly line in China. However I have no problem with that and have heard absolutely great things about the amp. The Vox's are very cool and get very frequent use in my little studio, big ballsy sound and a nice clean. Definately check out the THD's if you can, so many options with those amps it's ridiculous and I'm really surprised more people don't use them. I did notice that one of the guitar players in flyleaf uses a THD. God bless tubes.

Hey Tragik-I was gonna send you some info in a PM, but you're box is Maxed out- :( -I'll try again later~

jonnyc said:
Yeah the difference between 15 and 40 watts really isn't the big, even wide open. Also the Tiny Terror is not, repeat, is not boutique. It comes off an assembly line in China. However I have no problem with that and have heard absolutely great things about the amp. The Vox's are very cool and get very frequent use in my little studio, big ballsy sound and a nice clean. Definately check out the THD's if you can, so many options with those amps it's ridiculous and I'm really surprised more people don't use them. I did notice that one of the guitar players in flyleaf uses a THD. God bless tubes.

If it's made in China, it should be $100.

capnkid said:
If it's made in China, it should be $100.

That version's called the Valve Jr. Come on man even Chinamen don't work that cheap. I own a chinese Vox(man that sounds weird) and it's fucking kick ass. It's already beat the ever living shit out of one of those Randall 100w module tube amps, and a Marshall TSL. I think they installed some kind of kung fu dsp chip in it. :D GO CHINA!!!!

I can't wait until I can use a Chinese realtor to sell my house, and get my insurance from Gieco China.

I'm gonna save rickshaw-loads.

c7sus said:
I can't wait until I can use a Chinese realtor to sell my house, and get my insurance from Gieco China.

I'm gonna save rickshaw-loads.

Oh dude, just go with assist-2-sell, it's like a little slice of China in America. They'll basically collect a check from you while you do all the work. As far as the insurance thing goes, well, you're fucked for now. But if you seriously want to save money selling your house you should just consider FSBO. Fizzbo as we call it in the business.

so tiny terror isnt that great..

but univalve is awesome? the ac15 is also nice too right?

i wonder if GC has a univalve. thnkas guuys...

Skip all that shit and do a search on Ebay for 5E3 or 5F1.

There are guys doing handmade small-watt amps, Sliggo, Richter, Frenzl, and some others that aren't really very expensive considering what you are getting.

The next combo I get will be from one of those builders.

TragikRemix said:
so tiny terror isnt that great..

but univalve is awesome? the ac15 is also nice too right?

i wonder if GC has a univalve. thnkas guuys...

Who said it isn't that great? I just said the Uni and Bi are awesome. The Tiny is made in China, so its not "boutique", but that doesn't mean it won't sound good. The AC15CC (;)) is cool.

I actually bought the BiValve without playing it because I found a used one on eBay and realized I could turn it over for the same price or slightly more if I didn't like it. I couldn't find one anywhere to demo, and a 400 mile drive to LA (where I had/have two unpaid parking tickets) was way more inconvienient in my eyes than a few clicks on ebay and a possible trip to the post office. :D

c7sus said:
Skip all that shit and do a search on Ebay for 5E3 or 5F1.

There are guys doing handmade small-watt amps, Sliggo, Richter, Frenzl, and some others that aren't really very expensive considering what you are getting.

The next combo I get will be from one of those builders.

As cool as the old Fender combos are, they are not really versatile IMO. They do one thing and they do it damn well.

Back