This is an excellent job, however

wfaraoni

ear art's not a science
To all those who worked so hard to put this together a big thank you. It was well worth the wait. I was proud to be able to play some tracks for friends and receive the outpouring of compliments on what a great job you folks did.

There were however a 2 or 3 tracks which "I" personally would have left out simply because they were, to my taste, somewhat vulgar or distasteful or whatever they are about?, and because of that I cannot share it with all I'd like to, in its full form with some close friends.
So heres a suggestion for the next batch. How about putting all the stuff which you would not want to play at a kids party or your pastors dinner party or require a content label on one CD and put all the rest on the more wholesome CD's?

Other than that this is a great job and I do appreciate all the talent which has gone into its creation.

I will try and put something together for the next CD. Even if that lowers the bar a bit ;)

Peace
Bill

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback.

However, there are no plans to tame the comp cd, as that would not be an accurate representation of the people who make up this site.

Slackmaster 2000

I agree that it should not be tamed but only maybe regrouped a bit;)
We should not apply censorship but should however give consideration to those who would like to share this excellent work with as many as possible, and keep the embarassment for doing so to a minimum.

Just one more note
Even those tracks which contained what I consider adult content were IMHO Done quite well and an are excellent representation of the artists talents.

I may be in the minority with this line of thought but I was wondering if anyone else would like to see the more brazen tracks grouped together?

Peace
Bill

I dont think grouping is a good idea......

I dont see the harm however in labeling it with some type of rating just as a warning.......

as far as sharing this music, that is way cool.....but save Barney for the kiddies and this for your more mature friends........

because i feel your pain.....imagine my horror on Comp CD1 with the opening song telling in graphic detail a sexual act i had done that i thought was private......what happens between 7-8 consenting adults and farm animals is our own business........

The problem is that grouping tracks by moral content would result in about 5 discs with just a few tracks each.

Not to sound rude, but you can't cater to those who are most easily offended, because something is always offensive to someone. I understand that a person might want to show everyone that he's on this neat CD, and some of those people might be offended by some of the other content on the CD.

My wife's grandmother bought a copy, and she's very religious and would probably be offended by at least one track. A friend of mine also bought one, and he would be offended or at least irritated by the religious content on several tracks. But it's a compilation. I think that if you explain to people that it's a compilation representing 40 random people from around the world, they'd probably be understanding. Even the most easily offended are usually aware of the fact that their ears won't melt off their heads if they hear somethign that they disagree with :) If they aren't able to understand this, and think poorly of you for being on a compilation like this, then that's something you'd really have to sit and think about I'd imagine.

Regardless, I'm not doing the next comp cd, although I will probably personally ask a certain person to take it over. During the planning for Volume III you should bring this up again. I do think it's important that we all discuss these issues prior to releasing a compilation! If enough people feel a certain way, then the producer of the comp is obligated to indulge them I reckon.

Slackmaster 2000

Lt. Bob said:
All you gotta do is burn a copy without the songs you don't want people to hear.

What I really had in mind was to be able to ask people to BUY one in support of the homerecording website! I would feel uneasy doing that with the present content.
I will think about making a personal edited backup copy for sharing.

Heres what happened, I got the cd in the mail and opened it and previewed a few songs. Then on the ride to work I listened to some more. So while at work I was sharing it with several folks. Then surprize! A song came on with lyrics that turned ,not only the folks I had intended to share with heads but everyone who was within hearing range. I quickly dj'd that track and fielded comments in defense of the CD. It was more than a little embarassing.:eek:
I really think that the CD is a GREAT representation of what can be done with homerecording, and I applaud the efforts of all. I was simply making a suggestion for future comp cds to consider. In an effort to better promote this forum.

Slackmaster, Sorry to hear you wont be doing the next CD your talents and efforts will certainly be missed.

Peace
Bill

wfaraoni said:
What I really had in mind was to be able to ask people to BUY one in support of the homerecording website! I would feel uneasy doing that with the present content.
What's the point in putting the 'vulgar' songs on one cd then? They'll get that one too!
And who's going to judge what is vulgar and what's not? A priest? Or a biker?
I appreciate you sharing your thoughts but I just don't see it happen in any way.

I think a Parental Advisory sticker would do it. We should consider that if we're gonna try to market this thing in earnest. Might even help sales...

I was actually having the same thoughts as you, Bill. but I absolutely wouldn't want to censor it. Then we'd NEVER get anyone from the hiphop forum to participate!:D

But maybe we should produce a Walmart ready version? Whaddya say, Mothercuffers???:p

Daf

Yeah, That might work well. Something like CD # ? has content which some listeners may find offensive due to graphic adult subject matter or language.

And actually I have a co-worker who has produced a very excellent production of Christian Rap hip-hop stuff. Im sure some would find that offensive as well.
What Im really talking about here is what 99% of us would be upset about if our kids were exposed to certain material.
Not the 1% that find the mention of God or the TEN commandments objectionable.
Im just trying to be realistic and at the same time support the rights of the artists expression. I dont think that there is any answer that would satisfy everyone so why not shoot for grouping, full expression and a disclaimer. Seems quite reasonable to me.

Peace
Bill

Imagine there will be a sticker on the HR.Comp CD's Vol III...

-----------------------------------
Warning !!!

Contains Hip Hop Material !!!
-----------------------------------

:eek: :eek: :eek:
:D :D :D

wfaraoni said:
Im just trying to be realistic and at the same time support the rights of the artists expression. I dont think that there is any answer that would satisfy everyone so why not shoot for grouping, full expression and a disclaimer. Seems quite reasonable to me.
Again: Who's going to judge which songs are objectional or not? sm2k's successor? What an unthankful job that would be. Whatever you do, you'll end up with unhappy people so I'd say just leave it as it is.

And having listened to 2 of the 3 cd's now I don't hear much tunes that would interest kids anyway. It's not aimed at an MTV-minded audience to say the least.

I think I'll just submit a dutch song for HR.comp III.

Hmmm, perhaps using the standard of what can be played on broadcast television in the U.S. without getting bleeped would work;)

Peace
Bill

dafduc said:
I think a Parental Advisory sticker would do it. We should consider that if we're gonna try to market this thing in earnest. Might even help sales...

Interesting point, and probably very true if a good chunk of the material was in the same vein as the music marketed to the teens. However, I'd say there's very little on this compilation that would appeal to the average buyer in that market (and that's a good thing! :D )

wfaraoni said:
Hmmm, perhaps using the standard of what can be played on broadcast television in the U.S. without getting bleeped would work;)
Bill

I'm not here to rag on ya Bill- I've been zapped in the Cave- here I am reading some thread (at work) when along comes this giant Beaver Shot. Management is very sensitive to its obligation to police behavior that may be construed as sexual harassment. So I have to do a quick exit and HD clean-up. :eek:

I sure as farkel don't wanna see that in the Mic Forum!

But to use TV as a standard of correctness which I or (need I say- the majority of) the other contibutors should strive toward is absurd. The compilation is supposed to represent US, not the producers down at the Major Labels, Not the Producers down at the Indie Labels: US.

The artistic offerings on this set are not watered-down for TV.

They are straight-up, pure homerecording.

Parental Advisory Sticker? Sure!

Conformity, NEVER!

Back