there is a different between Acoustic foam and Soundproofing foam

SpiderM69 said:
So my question is, if there's no noticeable difference in the makeup and consistency of the foam, can it still sound different?

Spider,

Suppose I take 2 speakers - 14" - made by the same manufacturer - with no noticable difference in the makeup and consistency of the speaker (and no model markings of any kind) ............ can they sound different?

The fact that 2 materials look and feel and seem exactly the same does not mean they are exactly the same.

In the case of the speakers there could be different wire coils used in the manufacturing - a different wire thickness - a different coil wrap ......... you cannot see or touch that - and thus the speakers (to all of your senses except hearing) are identical.

In the case of the foam, they are made from 2 very different materials - with different chemical properties........... you apparently can't see or touch that - and thus the foam (to all of the senses except hearing) are identical.

Can it be so? Indeed it can..............

Rod

Spider,

> It appears the tests you commissioned were for corner foam only; is that correct? So the numbers could potentially be closer between Auralex and FBM for the flutter echo/wall treatment type foam? <

Yes we tested only corner foam because testing is expensive. But I have to assume FBM uses the same inferior foam for all of their products. Since they use cheap lousy foam for their corner shapes, why would they use anything better for their flat panels? So at this point I'd say the burden of proof is clearly on them.

--Ethan

I have used both Auralex and FBM products and can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that they are different materials. Put them next to each other and the difference is obvious.

Terry

Back