The Records Thread

Rob, do you like Giant Sand?

I like the Giant Sound stuff I know man, but they're still sitting largely on my 'to be explored' list. You much of a fan? I did come across them through Calexico though - they collaborate so much that they're the perfect gateway for discovering a bunch of other great music. Neko Case and Rainer Ptacek are two other particular favourites I discovered through them.

I do really like Howe Gelb's songwriting style though - he has this nice trick on some songs where he really pushes the meter past the point you're expecting and it takes the melody to interesting places. It's something I've consciously adopted as a direct influence on a couple of songs I've written in the past.

In the context of this thread, this is the only related vinyl I own. It's a real nice record of rootsy desert blue riffs, Howe's dry vocals and backed by the Voices of Praise gospel choir on each song. We saw him on the tour for this album with the full choir backing. That was a great gig:

20160203_192134.jpg

Found this (Mint condition) little gem for 50p in a charity shop a couple of weekends ago. Got a load of other good bits for 50p each as well but they've been sold on. I felt a bit guilty and gave them a couple of quid extra.

tmp_25664-FB_IMG_1455664828760-160231575.jpg

I'll pull some of mine out sometime and get some photos. I have some beauties. :thumbs up:

I just got Bowie's "The Next Day" in today's mail. Blackstar is on the way. I was listening to my copy "Scary Monsters" the night before he died, what with all the news about his new release having me thinking Bowie. It's too bad my Bowie collection isn't very deep. It's bound to be hard to find stuff now that he's passed.

What do y'all listen on? I have a Denon running through a Yaqin tube amp, but the Denon's not holding its speed so well lately. So I've pulled it and am running my 1200.

Bowers and Wilkins DM6 or Klipsch KG 4 speakers.

The rest of the gear in the rack is for a 5.1 system.

And speaking of digging, I got those B&W's from the trash, curbside across the street. They look it, but sure don't sound it. :)

Fidelity UA1 with a Garrard SP25 MkIII deck in it. It was a Wedding Anniversary present to ourselves for me and the wife.

11025956_10154194521509569_9082888671578142920_n.jpg

11831803_10154205501574569_8107357247918293397_n.jpg

Nice. Digging the wood dust cover.
I have a KLH model 24 that is similar to your fidelity, but it's got to go into the shop, too.

Yeah it's a nice one. It had one owner from new back in 1971. It came with the original boxes, service manual, bill of sale and guarantee. Nice to own a piece of history. The old bloke who had it passed away and he obviously looked after it and kept it well serviced. All I've had to do is clean the POTS with a bit of spray. Other than that, it's mint.

Here's a couple more.....

11870823_10154194521454569_1959844163214467715_n.jpg

11846726_10154194521484569_268644558489412142_n.jpg

This thread is making me itch to get my turntable back in action. It's an old Technics SLB101; needs a new belt and cartridge. The amp is a Technics receiver that has never given a lick of trouble. Not audiophile but solid. The speakers are Advent/1 walnut units. I refoamed the woofers last year and they work fine. I have them hooked up to the TV via a cheapo amp, which seems a waste.

This thread is making me itch to get my turntable back in action. It's an old Technics SLB101; needs a new belt and cartridge. The amp is a Technics receiver that has never given a lick of trouble. Not audiophile but solid. The speakers are Advent/1 walnut units. I refoamed the woofers last year and they work fine. I have them hooked up to the TV via a cheapo amp, which seems a waste.

The smooth midrange of systems like that are valuable in their own right. The euphonics of good ol' high fidelity are often preferable to the braggadocio of audiophile.

What do y'all listen on? I have a Denon running through a Yaqin tube amp, but the Denon's not holding its speed so well lately. So I've pulled it and am running my 1200.

Nice setup!

I have a Stanton Str8-150 -> Yamaha RX-V490 -> Ohm K2s.
I'd say the Yammy's the weak link in the chain, and I'm overdue for a new needle. Still sounds pretty good tho.

EThRrghg

A8PdqeXZ

@Mr. Clean - mono Revolver!!

I never find anything good at thrift shops around here. I get the sense most of those bins have been picked through looooong ago.

Yeah. It's a 2nd pressing which is a shame but great at the same time. It's in "fab" condition though.

I've found a few good bits in charity shops over the years.

Today's score. There's a shit load of others not in the photos though. Majority of these will be sold on with the exception of a few that I'll keep.

Electric Ladyland for instance. :thumbs up:

12798855_10154712365839569_8776847739723172538_n.jpg

12805808_10154712365894569_8092072430690994030_n.jpg

I still have all my Jam and Who albums but the only stuff I still buy is rare soul 45's from around '67-'69

Always been my favourite music since a teen...some cost a bit some cost me $1 from Belgium lol

Mediocre decks and I blew my main mixer...I also use tape for no other reason than I want to pretend I can go back in time ;)

Here's an example

Last edited:
That 2001 soundtrack is an amazing record. Twas my first proper introduction to Gyorgi Ligeti's music.
How's the condition on it? Mine's dilapidated.

It's in really good condition. Original book and leaflet with it too. Most of them are in really good condition thankfully. Easier to sell them on.

Hunky Dory cover is absolutely trashed but amazingly, the vinyl is mint. I don't understand that at all.

Revolver and For Sale are both stereo first pressings, which is nice.I'll keep For Sale until I grab a Mono to go with my collection.

Nice deck. I got a Technics dubbing deck at a thrift store recently to rip some of my old tapes.. such a blast going through them all.

My deck was $30, its in pristine condition. Ive already recorded some of my own music through it as an effect. Was thinking of doing my next album on cassette...for no apparent reason at all :D

Back