The Records Thread

fat_fleet

Swollen Member
I know there are a few of us actively buying and listening to vinyl. Are there enough of us to sustain a show-and-tell thread?

Guess we'll find out.. Post pics of your favorite gems, brag about your acquisitions, and rave about the coolest freakin' hobby in the world RIGHT HERE.

I've got lots of vinyl, but it's all decades old. I think the last time I bought a vinyl record was about 1994, when I made a sweep of the "Nice Price" bins in a local record store. They were considered obsolete and were going for a buck or two each. Unfortunately, I wasted the opportunity when I decided to explore and find out what was up with the "grunge" and "alternative" music everybody was raving about at that time. I picked up numerous records that I find unlistenable (I did discover Dinosaur Jr., though). Wish I had scooped up all those classic funk and country records that were in the same bin instead.

(I did discover Dinosaur Jr., though).

A11LlGIP

Yeah I bought the first one in like 1988. Look, pre-lawsuit!!

KNt2deSs

I think the last vinyl I bought was about 1987, same time I bought my first CDs. They're still all stacked up in a cabinet in my living room, though. ;) I rarely listen to CDs at home, either, mostly use the net/computer. And the records keep skipping when I play them in my truck.
record_player_car.jpg

Ok, well what I really want to post is my score from last night.. one of the most ferocious riff-rock albums of all time, Groundhogs' Split, old 70s pressing in damn near perfect condition.

RN8DuFvI

hxHSxMMk

vobsu5kq

^^ I never even knew it has this cool gatefold photo.

ZtmlCVk4

FdPpPJxJ

My collection sits in the cupboard and I look at it occasionally and wonder what I should do with it.

I think I bought Olias of Sunhillow just for the cover art... it got lost somewhere, along with my collection of The Doors and Blue Oyster Cult albums.:eek: I think I sold them to make a payment on a synthesizer. WHAT WAS I THINKING!!! Talk about a low point... :mad:

I still have my copy of the incendiary and legendary first album by Promises, though.... :laughings: Nice tits. :)

And of course the non-American version of Golden Earring's Moontan that I so enjoyed taking to school because it had a naked chick wearing peacock feathers on the cover. Was never so sure about the dude on the inside though. That was too much.:(

My collection sits in the cupboard and I look at it occasionally and wonder what I should do with it.

I think I bought Olias of Sunhillow just for the cover art... it got lost somewhere, along with my collection of The Doors and Blue Oyster Cult albums.:eek: I think I sold them to make a payment on a synthesizer. WHAT WAS I THINKING!!! Talk about a low point... :mad:

I still have my copy of the incendiary and legendary first album by Promises, though.... :laughings: Nice tits. :)

And of course the non-American version of Golden Earring's Moontan that I so enjoyed taking to school because it had a naked chick wearing peacock feathers on the cover. Was never so sure about the dude on the inside though. That was too much.:(

The only BOC I have is the s/t one with the maze on the cover that has Then Came the Last Days of May. Really like that whole album and I've tried to warm to their other stuff.. It just hasn't happened yet.

I don't know that Golden Earring. You should post pics so DM60 can have a massive coronary. :D

This is the only BOC I'm interested in, and is just an allround freaking awesome piece of vinyl:

20160127_225644-1024x576-1.jpg

20160127_225716-800x450.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think I have any rare albums. Maybe Led Zeppelin's "In Through The Out Door" with the paper bag. So the critics could buy it was the running joke on that one.

Ah, one I am pretty sure very few have, The Joe Perry Project, "Let The Music Do The Talkin'". I don't think anyone except me and his mother bought that one. It was a stinker!

I love my vinyl, I tend to just browse 2nd hand shops and see what I come across - I rarely buy new vinyl and don't buy stuff that would have been recorded digitally on vinyl - seems pointless. Although I do have Battle For The Sun by Placebo on Vinyl and Let England Shake by PJ Harvey.

Got a lot of Bowie and Metallica.

Rob, the packaging on that is BEAUTIFUL!

Yeah, it's just all round beautiful - beautiful album and incredible artwork. They always have great packaging, but sadly I only have other BOC albums on CD.

It's quite a long album, so it's 2x33 1/3 rpm on nice heavy 180g vinyl. Here's the back for the sake of completeness.

20160127_225736_002.jpg

:cool:

I don't think I have any rare albums. Maybe Led Zeppelin's "In Through The Out Door" with the paper bag. So the critics could buy it was the running joke on that one.

Is that one rare? Worth anything? I think I only played my copy one time.

Looking at records in terms of value and collecting as an investment strategy would be pretty disappointing for almost anyone. There are way better places to put your money. The rarest records are from limited runs with weird anomalies like print errors where a letter was left off the jacket etc (like 'Masters of Reality'.) But your Dark Side of the Moons and Houses of the Holy are unlikely to fetch you more than beer money for a night (if they're in ace condition.)

Back