The New Tone Thread

me screwing around again.

Ya'll know my process .... I screw around and take whatever is adequate while making music that is not to anyone's liking. :D

I just do this stuff for the hell of it and I'm cleaning up my recorder and getting rid of stuff .... so over the next few days I'm liable to upload things I'd forgotten that I'd done ...... here's one.

I kinda like how I have the acoustic and piano balanced against each other .... everything done by me as usual.

I have no one to blame but me! :laughings:

Attachments

• cornfield1.mp3
    6.2 MB · Views: 17
This is a ZZ Top cover I recorded a while back. My best friend Donnie who died a few weeks ago from cancer is on drums and his son is playing the last guitar solo that fade the song out.

On guitar it's all my 66 start into a fender mustang modeling amp, with a 57 on the edge of the speaker

rythym guitar is an amp preset "Ausie rock" with some amo tweaking on the tone knobs...middle pickup

the rythym guitar hitting the accent chord stabs is the amp preset "65 twin" with lexicon reverb vst plug in preset "hit vocal"...neck pickup

The lead guitar is amp preset "59 bassman" with much tweaking on amp tone knobs and preset overdrive. I duplicated the track into a pair on one I added a slight bit of flange, compression, and reverb. on the other side I used a vst plug in "da tube" to give it a bit of grittiness. I panned and played with the level of these 2 tracks until I got a guitar sound I liked.

I probably couldn't duplicate thus guitar tone again if my life depended on it.

https://m.soundcloud.com/jimistone/driving-while-blind-remix

Jimi: Good stuff. I love that tune. Is soundcloud screwing with the audio? My only comment would be it sounds like I'm listening to it outside with a pretty good wind. Lots of swirling (of course, that could have been your intent).

Bob: Sounds really good and clear. Love the vocal.

Rami: Cool tune. Well played. The guitars seem fine to me but as always, it comes down to what you like/want.

Greg: I agree with your comments on the tune.

Everyone: Thanks for taking the time to listen and respond.

As far as the tune I put up goes:

The rhythm guitar was done direct because the wife was home and she's not a fan of the volume. Actually, I lay down about 8 mins of click track (through a drum machine. I don't like the click included in the DAW). Then I did the Rhythm and the bass direct. By then she was gone so I did a scratch vocal, the drums and the solos. I was just experimenting using my Bassman (which can stay in the same room as me now because of the Weber). I completely agree on the direct recorded guitar, it just doesn't sound that good. The bass just needs some EQ. The other guitars I was just trying to get an idea of what they sound like. When I do this tune for real, there will be sax and keyboard solos as well as more fine tuned guitar solos (I might even add a slide solo). Of course the whole thing will get retracked (with a real Bass and drummer, not me noodling around).

As far as the drumming, I probably have about 40 hours total playing drums. The timing is off because of the click. It's amazing how when you're locked in you don't hear the click and when you stray from the beat the click comes to the forefront. So basically that's me either catching up to the click or getting ahead of it. As I have very little technique on the drums, it's all from watching and listening to good drummers. Bought the kit because I was running a Jam and needed to bring a kit. Always wanted to play drums but could never get a kit or a place to play them. Managed to get them set up in my basement studio but I can only play them when the wife's not around.

I'm going to try and do another tune before the end of the week. But this time I'll put some more serious work into it and see what I can come up with.

On a side note, how did the drums sound? I initially started this tune because I wanted to hear what I could do with live drum recording in my not so suitable space. I was pleasantly surprised at the tone but I'm pretty sure I can do better.

The kit, btw, is a mid 70's Gretcsh, 22" kick, 14" Ludwig Accralite snare, 12", 14" rack toms, 15" and 18" floor toms, 20" Meinl medium Custom ride, 16" Zyldjian A Projection crash and a 16" Zildjian A Crash. I used a Beta 52 on the kick, SM 57 on the snare, Octava MK-012 for overheads and the tom mics are from a Digital Reference drum mic kit that a friend of mine has been letting me use.

As far as the drumming, I probably have about 40 hours total playing drums. The timing is off because of the click. It's amazing how when you're locked in you don't hear the click and when you stray from the beat the click comes to the forefront. So basically that's me either catching up to the click or getting ahead of it.
The only reason it sounds off is because you did the drums after everything else, if I understood you correctly. I record my drums last, too. But they can easily sound off doing it that way since the other instruments are already recorded, they can't adjust and play to the drums. They're already playing to themselves. The only reason I noticed the drumming off, like I said, is because I thought it was your band live. Had I known it was just you, I probably would have sub-consciously not even noticed.
On a side note, how did the drums sound?
Not bad at all. I thought it was a live recording of a band in a small club.

me screwing around again......

I LOVE this. You sound black. That's a good thing. Don't think I've ever heard you sing before. Is that a Strat soloing? Sounds great. Love everything about this. Everything sounds good. I only wish it didn't go into a 1/4/5 blues change at 2:55. I have a mental block about songs that go E to A, etc...I know I'm nit-picking and we're not really looking for arrangement advice here, just sayin'. Sounds like a finished tune to me.

The only reason it sounds off is because you did the drums after everything else, if I understood you correctly. I record my drums last, too. But they can easily sound off doing it that way since the other instruments are already recorded, they can't adjust and play to the drums. They're already playing to themselves. The only reason I noticed the drumming off, like I said, is because I thought it was your band live. Had I known it was just you, I probably would have sub-consciously not even noticed.
Not bad at all. I thought it was a live recording of a band in a small club.

Thanks man. To be honest I can't remember if I retracked the drums after the solos or not. I usually do those last (actually vocals would be last) but, as this wasn't meant to be anything other than an experiment as to my capabilities in this room, I didn't go too crazy with things. Make no mistake, the drums are heavily EQ'd, compressed and have some reverb added. I'm pretty confident in my guitar sounds and am becoming more and more so with vocals. Drum sound has always been my weak spot. But I think I've finally gotten a hand on it. Now I just need to upgrade my high hats. Believe it or not but I bought them for $40 at Guitar Center. They are 2 - 14" Camber Medium Bottoms. Yes, both are bottoms. I figured at the jam no one would break them because the bottoms are so much thicker. ;)

Damn, gotta catch up....

Rami - I never had any issue with your other guitar tracks, but these are real nice too. No problems for me.

Boob - that is funk-a-groovy awesome. Very soulful. I feel like I hear the Louisiana in your music.

Jimistone - Those tones sound mostly pretty good to me. I don't know how it compares to the original, but I'm not crazy about some of the production decisions. The basic tones all sound pretty appropriate though. Nice work with a modeling amp.

Jimi, sounds good. I know the original. Not inside out, but I remember the tune.

I bet if you put the whole mix through an EQ and simply cut 400hz, it would clear up a lot of the overall boxiness the mix has. Guitars sound good, though.

I LOVE this. You sound black. That's a good thing. Don't think I've ever heard you sing before. Is that a Strat soloing?
Thanks so much first off ..... I'm delighted the fake drumbs didn't get called out ..... with fake drums I'm usually just going for "didn't suck enough to get mentioned" so I'm happy there.

I imagine the git is my Stinnett but I wouldn't swear to it. It wouldn't be one of my strats though .... they sit in their cases unused and unloved. :( poor guys.

I know what you mean about the 1/4/5 thing .... my least favorite thing about it IS that section. I know I wanted something to break up the monotony but I actually don't remember much about doing this .... for instance, I don't even know if it was an amp or modeler I was going thru.

I value the 'black' comment. One of my most loved compliments I ever got was from an old black guy at a blues festival came up and said, "Man, you 'bout as black as a white guy can be!"
If he had seen my ghetto apt. he'd have know I was indeed!

Bill & Greg .... thanks ya'll .... appreciates it.

Lt. Bob,
Cool tune and I LOVE the way the solo started - biting break up.
Your voice is wonderful - deep, rich preaching.
Jimi, tones are fine particularly for a modeller.
Rami, you should do Utub tutorials on reamping as you seem to be a master of the art.

Rami, you should do Utub tutorials on reamping as you seem to be a master of the art.
HA! Thanx Ray. They'd be pretty short videos. "Press play. Move the mic around until it sounds good. Press stop. Rewind. Press Record". :D

thanks Robus and rayc ..... I appreciate it.

I always sang but since being in Fl. I've had to do almost all solo stuff so I'm singing a lot now ..... I do think it's helped me find a voice of sorts.

Bob, that's great. This makes a great listen. Sounds sleazy as fuck.

The early part of the song sounds like Nick Cave - in a good way. Then later you start to sound a bit like the Blind Boys of Alabama.

Gonna listen to that again later today.

Lt Bob. I love your vocal on the cornfield song.

Bill L and greg thanks for listening. The swirling around isn't soundcloud. I put some flange on the vocal. the original ZZTOP version had flanged vocals. I was trying to capture that..

rayc, thank.

Rami, I'm going to try the 4k cut

]

Back