The New Tone Thread

i do know this...the billy joe bob rednecks in old katy had a field day finally having a valid use for their jacked up urban bigfoot monster trucks. They were out in full force dragging cars out of the floods. Too bad there was no looting. Shooting at coloreds would have been a dang tootin good time for them thar good ol boys! :d

:D
:lol:

As threatened, here's a couple of tunes from our last gig. We played a small club, no stage, no lights or pa, no amenities (other than booze and food). Here's a pic of the setup:

Billy Bong set up at Legends.jpg

This was the opening song. My lead tone starts around 4:15. My Fool SG made it to the first tune of the second set (Hey Pockey Way) before I broke the high E string. So I switched to the Les Paul for the remainder of the gig. Here's a sample of the Les Paul Custom. I was using my '61 Fender Princeton, a Crybaby Wah and a Jekyll and Hyde pedal using the distortion side only.

Feelin' Alright with The Fool. Lead tones at 4:15

Sophisticated Mama using the Les Paul Custom. Lead tones at 2:50.

Oh, and I should note that the drummer was using one of those Pearl half shell travel bass drums and a couple of those very small PDP snare/toms (I think the snare was like 6" and none of the toms were over 10") and the bass player had never done a gig with us before.

Again using the same setup as last time, '61 Brownface Fender Princeton, Cry Baby Wah and a Jekyll and Hide. And a Sennheiser E609 as the recording mic.

Epi Dot with a JB in the bridge. Solo tones around the 4:15 mark.

Fender Start with Lollar Brownface pickups. Solos after the second verse alternate with the sax.

None of these are our best efforts, but you get an idea of the tones in the context of the tune. I've not applied any EQ but there is a compressor on the guitars in the DAW.

These tunes have a different drummer and bass player and are from 2 different gigs. One of them from the same place as the last post.

***Fixed link for the last song

Last edited:
man, that guitar looks freakin' AWESOME!!!
Seriously ..... I bet you have folks standing in line to tell you that.

Sounds good too .... and the Epi Dot sounds great ..... teh sax player ............ the Epi Dot sounds great! :D

Nah .... he's aight.

That Dot sounds great man! Really ..... best sound, to my ears, of the clips.
Nice fun band ..... cool!

man, that guitar looks freakin' AWESOME!!!
Seriously ..... I bet you have folks standing in line to tell you that.

Sounds good too .... and the Epi Dot sounds great ..... teh sax player ............ the Epi Dot sounds great! :D

Nah .... he's aight.

That Dot sounds great man! Really ..... best sound, to my ears, of the clips.
Nice fun band ..... cool!

Thanks Bob.

The sax player is fantastic. One of the best around. I just hope I can keep him because now that people are hearing him again, everyone wants him in their band. Thankfully he loves what I'm trying to do (a rock and roll New Orleansy blues; similar to The Honey Island Swamp Band, Eric Lindell, The New Orleans Suspects, Sonny Landreth, stuff like that). I'm carving my own nitch in a blues and tribute band haven. The look on some peoples faces when I show up at a blues jam and <shudder> play more than 3 chords. It drives some of them crazy, and I love every minute of it. And so do most of the people who are tired of hearing people butcher Red House and Pride And Joy all the time. And I do mean butcher.

And yes, people always come over and talk about the guitar. It's the kit I bought from Guitar Fetish. There were a few issues but nothing that couldn't be sorted out easily. The toughest part has been getting the enamel clear coat to dry. It's still tacky after almost 2 months.

Some good sounding pickups there. I think that the amp isn't doing them justice, especially on that first clean clip. But the others sound pretty good to me. The pickups have some bite to them when you really dig in, I always love that.

Thanks Tadpui.
I missed you post..this is a fast moving thread man! lol
You're right, they bite when you really dig in. I love that too.
They are just really articulate pickups like Duncans or Gibsons. Most of the cheap ass buckers turn to mush when you drive them and dig in. The good ones seem to keep their definition.

Hey guys, that awesome Fool guitar got me thinking. Can I paint my guitar? My Gibson SG is a bland, sort of flat red finish. I'd like to spray paint it, or just go crazy with it like that Fool guitar. Do I need a special kind of paint? Is it just a stupid thing to do? Will it affect the sound, etc....

Hey guys, that awesome Fool guitar got me thinking. Can I paint my guitar? My Gibson SG is a bland, sort of flat red finish. I'd like to spray paint it, or just go crazy with it like that Fool guitar. Do I need a special kind of paint? Is it just a stupid thing to do? Will it affect the sound, etc....
paint away .... ain't gonna hurt nothing .... try to be as thin as possible because theoretically a think paint coiuld damp vibrations however, kenneth Boudreau, a former RP'er, builds gits now and he did a series of vids where he built two identical gits except out of totally different woods ... then he carefully recorded the differences actually changing the p'ups between the two gits so they wouldn't be a factor and the difference?
meh .... not much.
So most of your electric git sound comes from the electronics and hardware and I wouldn't hesitate .... in fact, I'm building a GFS 335 kit right now and I'm just gonna go to Lowe's and get some spray paint. I have a compressor and thought of getting an airbrush but ....... nah.

I realize some may leap in here and accuse me of acute senility when I tell him to go ahead and paint the thing, but I stand by my statements!
:D

I'm about to paint an SG too. Let's fuck our shit up together! :D

I'm about to paint an SG too. Let's fuck our shit up together! :D

Awesome! I'm in. What you buy? Some basic spray paint? I still don't know what do with it. I might just go nuts with it. I guess you got to put tape over the pick-ups and hardware?

I actually might buy another SG in case I fuck it up. If I can find a good deal.

A I guess you got to put tape over the pick-ups and hardware?

be best to take that stuff off .... if you just tape it, then it's obvious the paint stops there .... if you're really uncomfortable with removing stuff then tape it but it's a lot easier to paint without a bridge and tailpiece and tuners in the way. For one thing sanding is gonna be a LOT easier to do well if you're not trying to sand around stuff.

I guess tape the p'ups if you're not happy about yanking them out .... personally I'd at least remove the mounting rings and tape-up the p'ups themselves.
But you could tape the rings and all.

But the hardware, at least, shouldn't be a problem .... it's just screws ....

I part sanded back my 90s Indian Strat the other day - just to get off some of the marks on it and stuff - I stopped sanding when I realised it was chipboard! I might either spray it or leave it as it is.

Nice - I like the Paul Simonon graphic

Thanks. I just thought it would be good to have something striking and appropriate for this band. I used Humbrol enamels and an artists' airbrush with a little DeVilbiss compressor for the colour work, and about ten coats of Ronseal Hardglaze polyurethane for the top coat. The guitar was black underneath, so I cut masks for the "Sun", "Anarchy", "Rat" and "Simenon" graphics and stuck them down with pritt stick before laying down the red and yellow.

I part sanded back my 90s Indian Strat the other day - just to get off some of the marks on it and stuff - I stopped sanding when I realised it was chipboard! I might either spray it or leave it as it is.

LOL, My other gig guitar is MDF. I'm in the process of laminating together some decent wood for a proper guitar body.

Back