The New Tone Thread

My new favorite tone idol is Jeff Massey (the singer/lead guitarist) of The Steepwater Band out of Chicago. I buddy of mine has been their second guitarist and lap steel since 2012. His tone is good, too, but Jeff is the sole reason I bought an Orange amp because of the tone I heard with his '74 LP Std.. He's got a few LPs, an SG, and Danelectro jangly thing he uses on one of their songs only. The LPs and the Orange sound fucking awesome together.

Here is another of their tunes with Jeff playing an SG. I like the LP tone much better, but he still owns his playing and gets a great sound from it. The second guitarist uses a '72 Deluxe or (year unknown) LP Std. and occasionally a 335 usually through his Super Reverb. Both of them use pedals for different effects. I'm going to see them in Key West in a few weeks and am stoked.

I really love France
The meal I had tonight was french as fuck.
The sadistic fuckers probably tenderised the meat before they killed it

Hey Tone-Tards, I'm back for a few days...sad 'bout the Gerg & I'm not gonna fuck up our thread going into that, but just wanted to say this place ain't the same without him.....

No toans from me right now, but I'm gonna see what I can do to keep this thing goin'...I know I haven't been really active here the last few months, but I've had pretty shitty things going on personally....I'm hoping this'll be my last go-round with the being absent thing, it actually bothers me because I was a regular here for a long time, & just haven't been able to be here...

I'm gonna try to catch up on the tones that have been posted while I've been away...

... I've had pretty shitty things going on personally....I'm hoping this'll be my last go-round with the being absent thing...

When you say this will be your last go-round with being absent...I hope that means things have taken a turn for the better in your life. :thumbs up:

If you start getting back to normal...I'll even post some tones, and you know I only do that occasionally.
I tend to take more part in the discussions than posting lots of tones...but I got a new git in the stable, and I also did some pickup swaps, so I may work up some tone clips now...but only if I hear that your ass is getting back to normal and that you're doing a better job with your health. :)

Here is another of their tunes with Jeff playing an SG. I like the LP tone much better, but he still owns his playing and gets a great sound from it. The second guitarist uses a '72 Deluxe or (year unknown) LP Std. and occasionally a 335 usually through his Super Reverb. Both of them use pedals for different effects. I'm going to see them in Key West in a few weeks and am stoked.

I checked out some of their other videos. Pretty good. I like the band.
:D

When you say this will be your last go-round with being absent...I hope that means things have taken a turn for the better in your life. :thumbs up:
I got some news this week I'd been waiting for dude, actually for a long time, so while things aren't quite 100%, things have taken a turn for the better for me over here....It's been pretty damn rough to be honest, but things should only get better with a little more time....

If you start getting back to normal...I'll even post some tones, and you know I only do that occasionally.
I tend to take more part in the discussions than posting lots of tones...but I got a new git in the stable, and I also did some pickup swaps, so I may work up some tone clips now...but only if I hear that your ass is getting back to normal and that you're doing a better job with your health. :)
Cool man, I'd like to hear some of your tones, I can't remember hearing anything you posted here to be honest....

Not going into any details, but I got 2 rounds of pretty good news this week, very good actually....:)

Cool man, I'd like to hear some of your tones, I can't remember hearing anything you posted here to be honest....

Like I said...I don't post tones often. The last time I posted some tones was about a year ago...right around this time if I recall. I had just gotten a new amp right before the holidays, and I used that to do some tones. :p

Glad to hear things are turning for you. I was hoping they would...and thought they should. :thumbs up:

Like I said...I don't post tones often. The last time I posted some tones was about a year ago...right around this time if I recall. I had just gotten a new amp right before the holidays, and I used that to do some tones. :p

Glad to hear things are turning for you. I was hoping they would...and thought they should. :thumbs up:
It's cool man, I honestly don't remember when you posted a tone here, but I do remember your vids, pretty impressive IMO.....

It's been a long time coming dude, I've had a pretty rough couple of years to be honest...I know it could've always been worse, but I couldn't imagine it being much worse....hahaha

Hell, I may even be able to buy some more gear before too long too...we'll see, but things have definitely taken a turn for me....thanks Miro...

Ray: I just listened to your clips, & I do hear a difference in the sound when the p'ups are switched to different settings...To me, it does sound a little out of phase, but, I don't hear anything really unusual really. That's just me though dude....

It's cool man, I honestly don't remember when you posted a tone here, but I do remember your vids, pretty impressive IMO.....

I don't post them with the same frequency as all you guys like to do...but maybe 2-3 times in as many years. :D
If I recall...I may have posted tones in a separate thread where I showcasing my new amp or something.

Nothing against doing the tone stuff...I just tend to focus more on cutting guitar tracks for specific songs, rather than just ever recording amp tones. I always find that my amp tones on their own leave me shortchanged. :p
It's like...I need to hear the rest of the music before I can decide if my tones are on the right track.

Hell, I may even be able to buy some more gear before too long too...we'll see, but things have definitely taken a turn for me....thanks Miro...

Now THAT does sound like you are heading in a good direction. So glad to hear that! :thumbs up:

miroslav said:
I don't post them with the same frequency as all you guys like to do...but maybe 2-3 times in as many years. :D
If I recall...I may have posted tones in a separate thread where I showcasing my new amp or something.

Nothing against doing the tone stuff...I just tend to focus more on cutting guitar tracks for specific songs, rather than just ever recording amp tones. I always find that my amp tones on their own leave me shortchanged. :p
It's like...I need to hear the rest of the music before I can decide if my tones are on the right track.

Yeah man, I get that, a lot. 99% of the time if a guitar tone sounds awesome on it's own, it might not fit in a mix, & a guitar tone on it's own may sound like shit, but sounds great in a mix, so, it's all over the place...I think it's still fun trying to mimic certain tones I've loved for years though...lol...

miroslav said:
Now THAT does sound like you are heading in a good direction. So glad to hear that! :thumbs up:

Yeah dude, it's been a rough year to say the least, but it looks like things are finally starting to look up for me, which is more than good...My health still messes with me from time to time though, probably something that'll stay with me the rest of my days, I just have to learn to accept it, learn how to deal with it, & move on....

Thanks for the support Miro, I really appreciate it....

With Gerg away, someone's gotta keep up the stooges riffs, so I'll step up:

View attachment AKGD1000.mp3

Someone on another forum recommended the AKG D1000E dynamic microphone is being good for distorted guitar and I reflexively went to ebay and ordered one (for like $30).

This clip is a SG Supreme with 57 classics using the bridge pickup -> Orange OR100 dirty channel with the gain at about 2:00 but the overall volume pretty low, and the EQ knobs all at 12:00 -> Chandler TG2 -> Lynx Aurora

I like the mic - I think I'm going to use it a lot. I think I like it better than a 57, but I haven't really put it through it's paces yet - I need to hear how it performs at around 125 decibels.

With Gerg away, someone's gotta keep up the stooges riffs, so I'll step up:

View attachment 95734

Someone on another forum recommended the AKG D1000E dynamic microphone is being good for distorted guitar and I reflexively went to ebay and ordered one (for like $30).

This clip is a SG Supreme with 57 classics using the bridge pickup -> Orange OR100 dirty channel with the gain at about 2:00 but the overall volume pretty low, and the EQ knobs all at 12:00 -> Chandler TG2 -> Lynx Aurora

I like the mic - I think I'm going to use it a lot. I think I like it better than a 57, but I haven't really put it through it's paces yet - I need to hear how it performs at around 125 decibels.
Can't listen right this minute dude, but I'll get around to it in just a little while....Thanks for keeping the thread going man, I have to say, this thread is the best thing on the 'net for me.....

Finally had a chance to listen antichef, & I like it, a lot man. Sounds angry, with attitude man....Is there a chorus effect in the chain on this, or are my ears playing tricks on me/?? Either way, it sounds pretty good IMO...

Thanks minerman! It's totally dry - I did add some digital gain to push it closer to zero but that's it. The amp has a harmonic overtone thing going on I guess.

Back