The New Tone Thread

sounds muffled at first but gets better around half way thru .... still kinda muffled sounding though
Thanks man, I actually just swapped the vst's out, & I was using a pair of cheap earbuds...:laughings:.I'm not home with my usual (desktop) setup, so I'll try it again tomorrow.....

I've been piddling with my nephew's Carvin V3M, & I actually like that little amp. It's got EL84's in the power section, but it still packs a punch. It's a pretty cool little amp that sounds pretty big through my 4x12. I'll try to upload some clips of it tomorrow too, but can't make any promises, he plays in church (he's actually a preacher), so the amp will be tied up most of the day...Maybe Monday...

Thanks again Bob....

Cheers, miner. I'm pretty happy with the tones I am getting at the moment. I'm pleased my amp still works as it took a massive tumble when I was driving to the office on Friday.

I think your tone sounds pretty good, it's just got that slightly simmy quality to me - almost like it's got a slight chorus effect on it.

Your nephews amp obviously needs a good cranking to cleanse it of all the bloody worship music. Record us some black sabbath through it next week.

How you feeling, mate? You up and about ok?

Just re-tracked one of my older songs in prep for a mate of mine to stick live drums on. I'm re-tracking a lot of stuff at the moment.

This was originally recorded with a really hi-gain sim. I've now used as little gain as I think I can get away with and recorded it with my new guitar thought the Blackstar. No cocking about in the DAWView attachment 95168

I think this is one where you need to put the gain back in it. The rhythms don't have the grind that would suit the style better IMO. The single note/lead stuff sounds great. Jut those "bah-bah-bah-bah" rhythms don't do it for me. They sound kind of dull, kind of scratchy.

Ok, a little clip with Amplitube 4, same di as the last one, just used a different sim...lemme know what you guys think.....

Amplitube 4
Pretty good to me, but I think you're overdoing it with the cab resonance...or whatever's helping get the "chunk" effect in the sim package. It's close to real, I think, but it's pretty excessive IMO. A sim getting that chunk is good, I just think you're dialing in a little too much.

Cheers, miner. I'm pretty happy with the tones I am getting at the moment. I'm pleased my amp still works as it took a massive tumble when I was driving to the office on Friday.
WTF happened dude???

I think your tone sounds pretty good, it's just got that slightly simmy quality to me - almost like it's got a slight chorus effect on it.
Thanks man, I'm actually impressed with AT4, & I'm still learning what it'll do/won't do...Dunno for sure but that may be a slight phase issue between the 2 mics I have blended...

Your nephews amp obviously needs a good cranking to cleanse it of all the bloody worship music. Record us some black sabbath through it next week.
Lol...While he is a preacher, he still listens & plays rock music dude (not during church obviously), & he's not afraid of the volume knob on any of his gear....

How you feeling, mate? You up and about ok?
I'm doing a little better ever day man, it's just gonna take some time for me to get myself back where I need to be...Thanks for asking....

Pretty good to me, but I think you're overdoing it with the cab resonance...or whatever's helping get the "chunk" effect in the sim package. It's close to real, I think, but it's pretty excessive IMO. A sim getting that chunk is good, I just think you're dialing in a little too much.
Thanks Greg, I'm still learning the sim, & that tone was actually made with a pair of cheap-ass earbuds that just plain suck compared to my other gear ('phones & monitors), so I'm pretty confident I can dial it in better, even if it is an ampsim...

Sorry i am late to the party? IS there any tapas left?

Hey Minerdude. I got a question for you about your one tone posted... too far back. It was Amplitube with recabinet in the chain. How did you set that up? Did you just bypass the cab and mic's within amplitube and then send it on through to the recabinet plug? Curious if thats how you did it. I was pretty impressed with that chunkyness of it. I dare say it was pretty convincing.

I have to echo gergs thoughts on your last soundbite you offered up. It's muffly and just sounds like a Disney version of what it could be. I blame your earbuds though. 100% blame them. I have made that mistake many times when i get in a zone late at night with my phones on and just call a tone good. then i'll play it back in a reference system and it sounds like ass.

Glad to see you are getting on smashingly!! Sucks i haven't been around much. But it's how i roll i guess. Just get busy and stuff.

Well, personally I like Blackstar amps

Me too. I missed the boat on yet a second Blackstar amp that has come up for a ridiculous price on the local online classifieds. The White edition of the HT5 mini stack or whatever you want to call it. Some clown was ditching it for mega cheap. The plus side to the recession in my neck of the woods: People are hocking good shit at awesome rates. The down side of the recession in my neck of the woods: I am hurting just as bad as they are. Oh well. I am sure more deal will pop up.

I think this is one where you need to put the gain back in it. The rhythms don't have the grind that would suit the style better IMO. The single note/lead stuff sounds great. Jut those "bah-bah-bah-bah" rhythms don't do it for me. They sound kind of dull, kind of scratchy.

Yeah, I think you're right about the palm muted rhythm part - it could do with a touch more gain and listening to it again - I can see a scratchiness in it.

Also sounds a little flat in the punky bit before the solo - needs to be looser.

WTF happened dude???
I always travel with my amp on a Friday as I leave the office and go back home after staying away all week. But I had a site visit on Thursday and was in a work van which I kept overnight on Thursday.

I was worried about the amp sliding about back and forth when I was accelarating and breaking so I had it lengthways in the van with a box next to it to stop it falling over.

The box moved, I went around a roundabout, it fell over and slid across the van and smacked into the side. Sounded bad!

The box moved, I went around a roundabout, it fell over and slid across the van and smacked into the side. Sounded bad!
nah, that won't hurt it. :D

Actually falling over is the easiest thing to fix if it does mess something up because it's going to absolutely be a physical thing ..... something will break loose in some fashion and even a non-tech can usually just look for it and find it.
But I've had amps fall 6 feet to the concrete and mostly not do anything to them.

I'm not suggesting you quit being careful as I am very careful with my amps.
But they're pretty durable .... just don't bang them around ANY while the tubes are still warm.

nah, that won't hurt it. :D

Actually falling over is the easiest thing to fix if it does mess something up because it's going to absolutely be a physical thing ..... something will break loose in some fashion and even a non-tech can usually just look for it and find it.
But I've had amps fall 6 feet to the concrete and mostly not do anything to them.

I'm not suggesting you quit being careful as I am very careful with my amps.
But they're pretty durable .... just don't bang them around ANY while the tubes are still warm.

I never had worry about my Peavey. That thing was indestructable!

JDOD: Ok man, at first I thought you were in an accident.....You need to listen to 'ol Bob, he knows what he's talking about man. Remember if the tubes are warm not to bang it around, but other than that your amp is pretty tough...Might be a good idea to invest in a couple tie-down straps man, that'd keep it from moving around, just sayin'....

Shan: On the cab bypass, yep, just bypass everything after the amp in Amplitube. This way you can use any cab sim afterward, & this will work with all ampsims too...

On the earbud thing, yeah, it sounded ok through 'em, but I haven't listened through anything else yet...Live & learn....:laughings:.

Shan: On the cab bypass, yep, just bypass everything after the amp in Amplitube. This way you can use any cab sim afterward, & this will work with all ampsims too.

This is cool news. I want to try that out. I have an older amplitube. I think 3? I have shit for amps in though. Still using that Pod when i need to :( But i want to get more into some updated sims. Is recab worth the 50 bucks though? thats the big question?

This is cool news. I want to try that out. I have an older amplitube. I think 3? I have shit for amps in though. Still using that Pod when i need to :( But i want to get more into some updated sims. Is recab worth the 50 bucks though? thats the big question?
I can't say for you if Recab 4 is worth the $50 or not, that'd be up to you. I think it is myself, but that's me. Something I'll throw in though is Recab 4 has a few amps (I had 'em bypassed in the clip), & power amp sims (I used 'em in the clip), so it's not just a cab sim...Here's the link so you can see what all Recab 4 does:

Recab 4

Something else to think about is Poulin plug-ins Shan. To me, they sound as good or better than a lot of the paid ampsims, but again, that's me...You can download 'em & try 'em out here (download links are on the right, & there are a few more like Ignite that are decent):

Poulin Vst's

Just my opinion, you could use the Poulin ampsims (which are all free) with Recab 4, & get some pretty usable tones without having to jump through hoops to do so. The tone you liked I posted (AT3 + Recab 4) took me about 10 minutes of tweaking, & I'm sure I could've made it better with more time, just sayin'....

I've said this a few times before, the ampsims ain't gonna replace my amp, cab, & mics, but they're a good silent solution for late-night playing/recording, & I can always re-amp the di's later with my real rig...

On the Poulin vst's, there isn't an installer, you just copy the dll to your plug-in folder, then Reaper should "see" 'em...

Hope this helps, & if you get stuck or just wanna gab, gimme a holler dude...;).

Something else to think about is Poulin plug-ins Shan. To me, they sound as good or better than a lot of the paid ampsims, but again, that's me....

Coincidentally, I just started doing exactly this about two days ago. Lepou Lecto (m.b. dual rectifier) through Recabinet 4 ("oversize"/m.b. 4x12). Sounds very good to me. Don't forget to turn off Recabinet's amps though...took me a bit to figure that out ;) Recabinet has a ton of cabs, and Lepou makes very good free amps. Additionally, the processing disruption I was having with running 4 guitars, each with a separate instance of lecto and recab, was due to Recab's amps. once i switched those off, problems were gone.

Should add that I'm still tinkering with the knobs on Lecto and the cabs. I'm considering trying a TSE808 in front of the amp with the amp set to a clean mode. Also looking for the distinct difference between the red/orange channels and exactly how the "resonance" knob is affecting the modern channel.

I'm considering trying a TSE808 in front of the amp with the amp set to a clean mode.
Ha, that must be a Tube Screamer pedal sim. I like Tube Screamers but not in front of a clean amp. They're more of an overdrive pedal. They push an already angry amp over the edge. I think they're best used to color an already naturally overdriven base tone. Try it out an see. If it sounds like a real Tube Sceamer in front of a clean amp, I suspect you'll not go there again. Maybe the sim version will be different.

Also looking for the distinct difference between the red/orange channels and exactly how the "resonance" knob is affecting the modern channel.
On a real amp, the resonance control is typically like a presence for the low end. It might not do much with a sim, but it makes a difference with a real amp.

Ha, that must be a Tube Screamer pedal sim. I like Tube Screamers but not in front of a clean amp. They're more of an overdrive pedal. They push an already angry amp over the edge. I think they're best used to color an already naturally overdriven base tone. Try it out an see.

All the TS sims I've tried do pretty much what a real one does, even the mid-hump....Spot-on about pushing an already dirty amp, & spot on about using the TS for the dirt, I've tried it, & didn't like it at all, software or real amp...

If it sounds like a real Tube Sceamer in front of a clean amp, I suspect you'll not go there again.
:)

On a real amp, the resonance control is typically like a presence for the low end. It might not do much with a sim, but it makes a difference with a real amp.
+1
The only sim I've found the resonance works like a real amp is Recab 4's power amp thing. That's where the chunk came from on the first ampsim clip I posted, & to me, it's usable. The last clip I posted was all AT4, & I realize now I had the bass up too high, along with the darker mic up too much in the mix, so it made it woofy/muddy/un-defined.

Been wondering where you've been the past day or so Greg, hope everything's going good for ya...I'm still hangin' in there, things are a little different for me now, but it'll all work out eventually....:D.

Ha, that must be a Tube Screamer pedal sim. I like Tube Screamers but not in front of a clean amp. They're more of an overdrive pedal. They push an already angry amp over the edge. I think they're best used to color an already naturally overdriven base tone. Try it out an see. If it sounds like a real Tube Sceamer in front of a clean amp, I suspect you'll not go there again. Maybe the sim version will be different.

Sounds like that's a bad idea..lol.. Ahh well

Back