The New Tone Thread

Before the Gorilla, I used a 1/4"->RCA patch to go into the AUX input of my boom box. You can imagine the sonic glory when I stuck this little baby in front:

00001331_1.jpg

That IS a beautiful SG.

I've only had one SG and in typical fashion it was some weird model that had strat sized single coil p'ups.
It was one of these:

Attachments

• SG.JPG
    SG.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 48
that's really cool lookn Bob - that's a Gibson with gibson single coils?

I still have the one in my picture - it's much newer than the amp - 2004
("Your guitar was made at the
Nashville Plant, TN, USA
July 1st, 2004
Production Number: 256 ")

It's a SG Supreme - I consider it my primary guitar and I love it. I got on ebay and it arrived with the headstock broken off the neck (ah!) (I'll find a pic) - insurance paid for the damage, and I got it glued back together for pretty cheap, so it actually came out pretty well, even though I don't suppose the guitar is worth very much with that history.

here they are:
before:
brokenhead1.jpg

after:
SGPost2.jpg

and the fix has held fine for 10 years now

Last edited:
antichef

Scroll back a page and you'll see that I had that exact same amp as a firstie. What an amazing piece of shit it was! I kind of wish I could hear it again today, just to see if I could fit it in a song as an almost ironic texture :)

I must have given mine away to someone I didn't like. Or maybe I set it on fire.

that's really cool lookn Bob - that's a Gibson with gibson single coils?
yep ..... I liked that guitar but I sold it for $80 because I found a weiner dog with a damaged leg that would need to be amputated and the vet wanted $180 in advance. I only had $100 so I called a friend and told him if he came and bought the guitar RIGHT NOW he could have it for $80.
That dog ended up with a smooth area where the leg had been .... he was awesome.

Years later I let him get out .... actually kinda mad at him 'cause of peeing in the house so I ignored what he was doing and he got ran over.

That one haunts me to this day.

How about a little tension-breaker? I finally got my '65 Jazzmaster back after 3 weeks of it being away for repair/setup. That luthier/repair guy is really good at what he does, but the drawback to being the ONLY good guy at what you do in a metro is that you get back-logged. The system is that he makes his rounds once a week to various guitar shops in the area and picks up/drops off guitars. I got the call from him that my guitar was ready to go, so I go to pick it up and promptly get abandoned in the guitar shop because the only guy working there is stuck tending to a redneck that's shopping for acoustic guitars. The redneck's ONLY criteria for his guitar of choice is how loud it is. I heard him continually comment "man that thang is LOUD. This'n is almost as loud, but that other'n is even louder...". And so on and so forth...The guitar shop lost power yesterday so it was stiflingly hot in there, and it was dark. And back-woods Missouri Joe picked that same day to go guitar shopping. So I'll give the clerk a pass on not tending to me immediately :D

Anyways...I finally got my guitar back! So I gave it a workout last night and came up with a riff. I had this idea running through my head the last few days and finally sat down to make it real. It's a silly and simple riff. In my head it was a punk tune but I don't think that it made it to tape with that same attitude. Drums, bass, and an overdubbed solo part. Let me know if you'd change any of the guitar, bass, or drum tones.

'65 Fender Jazzmaster, bridge pickup
Ibanez TS9 with everything just below 12:00
Solo part adds a JHS Firefly Fuzz to the same setup
Fender '68 Deluxe Reverb reissue, vintage channel. Solo part is on the custom channel. Pretty much everything set at 5, reverb at 2.

...so I go to pick it up and promptly get abandoned in the guitar shop because the only guy working there is stuck tending to a redneck that's shopping for acoustic guitars. The redneck's ONLY criteria for his guitar of choice is how loud it is. I heard him continually comment "man that thang is LOUD. This'n is almost as loud, but that other'n is even louder...".
:laughings:Welcome to my fuckin' world dude....You need to live around motherfuckers like that all your life. It's simply embarrasing & degrading for people who don't know any better to think all folks from the mountains are like this...:facepalm:...but there are a lot of 'em out there dude, but please believe me when I tell you guys I'm not like that at all....I know nobody has said anything like that at all, but I'm just defending myself from the get-go...:D.

That clip sounds really good to me Tad, especially in the mix, where it's supposed to...It's got plenty of bite & balls at the same time....well done!!!

:laughings:Welcome to my fuckin' world dude....You need to live around motherfuckers like that all your life. It's simply embarrasing & degrading for people who don't know any better to think all folks from the mountains are like this...:facepalm:...but there are a lot of 'em out there dude, but please believe me when I tell you guys I'm not like that at all....I know nobody has said anything like that at all, but I'm just defending myself from the get-go...:D.

That clip sounds really good to me Tad, especially in the mix, where it's supposed to...It's got plenty of bite & balls at the same time....well done!!!

I've come to realize that every region has their own version of the same guys. I was born and raised in oil-loving Oklahoma, went to college in the middle of corn-farming Iowa, and now live in cow-town Kansas City. In all honesty, this guy wasn't harming anyone and seemed to be a good fellow. And I can't fault anybody for being excited about guitar shopping. But damn, sometimes it's a culture shock. I live on the very very north end of the KC metro area. If you drive just a few miles in almost any direction (but south) from here, you're in the boonies. So we get an interesting mixture of college hipsters, backwoods yokels, white trash hicks, suburban soccer moms, and other everyday folks. 10 years before I moved to this area, it was all a big prairie. So there are still plenty of old-school locals that simply got overtaken by urban sprawl.

Anyways, thanks for the listen minerdude! The honeymoon period is tough for any new gear...at first, everything sounds good to my ears just because it's different. It's good to get a little validation!

And I can't fault anybody for being excited about guitar shopping. But damn, sometimes it's a culture shock. I live on the very very north end of the KC metro area. If you drive just a few miles in almost any direction (but south) from here, you're in the boonies. So we get an interesting mixture of college hipsters, backwoods yokels, white trash hicks, suburban soccer moms, and other everyday folks. 10 years before I moved to this area, it was all a big prairie. So there are still plenty of old-school locals that simply got overtaken by urban sprawl.
Yeah dude, I get it, but really, you need to see how most of the locals here are....I can't say much, as I'm a hillbilly too, but fuck, some of these people are downright embarrassing just to be around...:facepalm:. But yeah, us hillbillies get excited about guitar shopping too...:laughings:

Anyways, thanks for the listen minerdude! The honeymoon period is tough for any new gear...at first, everything sounds good to my ears just because it's different. It's good to get a little validation!

I have to say that's probably the best clip you've posted here man, I'm impressed. So, what are the drums??? Because they sound good too IMO...

The few attempts I've made with single coil p'ups have been pretty shitty to say the least, but yours are meaty & have a nice bite to 'em at the same time...Again, I'm impressed...:)

Yeah dude, I get it, but really, you need to see how most of the locals here are....I can't say much, as I'm a hillbilly too, but fuck, some of these people are downright embarrassing just to be around...:facepalm:. But yeah, us hillbillies get excited about guitar shopping too...:laughings:

I have to say that's probably the best clip you've posted here man, I'm impressed. So, what are the drums??? Because they sound good too IMO...

The few attempts I've made with single coil p'ups have been pretty shitty to say the least, but yours are meaty & have a nice bite to 'em at the same time...Again, I'm impressed...:)

Hahaha, yeah guitar shopping excitement is a universal joy. They're just so shiny! Whether in the Appalachian mountains or in the plains of the Midwest, guitars look pretty on the wall in any guitar shop :D

The drums on this one are the Custom & Vintage SDX. This particular set is a Gretsch Round Badge kit with a Supraphonic snare. It's my favorite combination of kit samples so far. It's not super-detailed but the sounds are very believable to me. That hi-hat needs a little work, but I love the kick, snare, and toms. I'm sure that anybody that plays a real kit can pick these out as samples, but I'm easily impressed.

The pickups on this guitar are the stock 50-year-old single coils. From what I gather, these old Jazzmasters have a rather unique single coil pickup that are substantially hotter than Fender's other single coils. They're somewhere between a Strat pickup and a P90. I freaking love them, they just bark when I play hard, and they're sweet and singing when I play soft. I'm not quite old enough to say this with any authenticity, but: they just don't make 'em like they used to :D

How about a little tension-breaker? I finally got my '65 Jazzmaster back after 3 weeks of it being away for repair/setup.
nah ....... no tension here .... I know Bruce well and I know he didn't mean anything by it .... just making a joke after not really reading what I wrote ..... we're good ..... I just prefer no jokes about my dog being scraped to pieces on a hywy because I failed him ..... I've beat myself up a lot already.
For some reason he needed me to tell him that! :D

Man ..... you're making me want a jazz master ...... that really sounds good to me. I mean REALLY good.
Jazz masters have a standard fender scale length right?
That's why I don't want a Jaguar .... screw that 24" scale.
But that big fat single coil sounds great ...... I need it.

What kind of mic did you use?

Back