The New Tone Thread

Question about a 1960AV cab, stock speakers are V30's right????
Yup "V" cabs are V30s.

You know...I've wondered about that from time to time.

Where would some of the legends/icons be today had they NOT died young...and what would they be like?
Would their old-age life = their legend/icon status they got after their early demise?

I know we can never know that...but I see some who artists who were big names in their youth, only to become just shadows in their older age...many have even fallen into ruts and seen their younger days wiped away and tarnished.

Like say...would Hendrix have stayed on top of his game for years and years...or Morrison....or Joplin...etc?

Might be an interesting thread on its own...but it will all end up being pure guesstimation in the end. :D

I think that same shit all the time. Look at EVH. He kept on living and hasn't done anything relevant in 35 years. And look at Sid Vicious. He was a total piece of shit on bass, hell he wasn't even as good as a piece of shit, and his legend just keeps on growing. IMO Randy Rhoads would be like any other aging, dated dinosaur had he stayed alive.

I thought the "V" cabs had V30's in 'em....

Might have another trade option, haven't heard back from those other guys, so they might've been full of shit, dunno...This guy has a 4x12 (the 1960AV), & also has a Marshall 1965A, which is a 4x10...I'm not interested the 4x10 at all, as to me, the 12" guitar speakers are where it's at...

He's wanting to trade the cab for my DSL-1H straight up, which seems like a pretty decent deal, I'll have to look at the cab to make sure the right speakers are in it, but if he answers me back today, I might have another cab...maybe...

Seems I've bee talking with a bunch of dicks who really don't wanna do anything but that, talk...

I thought the "V" cabs had V30's in 'em....

Might have another trade option, haven't heard back from those other guys, so they might've been full of shit, dunno...This guy has a 4x12 (the 1960AV), & also has a Marshall 1965A, which is a 4x10...I'm not interested the 4x10 at all, as to me, the 12" guitar speakers are where it's at...

He's wanting to trade the cab for my DSL-1H straight up, which seems like a pretty decent deal, I'll have to look at the cab to make sure the right speakers are in it, but if he answers me back today, I might have another cab...maybe...

Seems I've bee talking with a bunch of dicks who really don't wanna do anything but that, talk...

If that cab is in really good shape, I think it's a reasonable trade. In my area your little 1 watter is going for around 500-550 used and that's about where a really nice Marshall V30 cab sells.

Yeah, that's about what I was thinking dude...I wish it was a straight cab so I could stack 'em, but no biggie really...

Well, the guy who has the 4x12 finally e-mailed me back, it's got Celestion Rocket 50 speakers in it, so I'll probably pass....I don't need any more speakers I'm not gonna use, or won't be able to flip/get rid of....Back to the hunt....

Well, the guy who has the 4x12 finally e-mailed me back, it's got Celestion Rocket 50 speakers in it, so I'll probably pass....I don't need any more speakers I'm not gonna use, or won't be able to flip/get rid of....Back to the hunt....

Yes, run from those speakers. I thought it was a V cab? Did he lie?

Well, I really don't know dude, I think he both lied & doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground....First he said it was a "V" cab (this morning), now this evening, it's got those shitty speakers, no Marshall logo, & is pretty scuffed up...So, I'm gonna pass on it, I want something I can pretty much plug-n-play with my 2 big amps, not have to jump through hoops to find speakers or whatever...

This is another guy from the local CL who came out of the woodwork on me, I have no idea who he even is...

Most folks within a 50 mile or so radius of where I live think a Marshall MG is a killer amp...On top of that, they want something for nothing, like I said before, I know I'm gonna lose $$$ on this gear, but I ain't gonna fuckin' give it away, if I can't flip it to get what I want, fuck it, I'll keep it...

Ha, I bet he meant AVT cab. I think those have Rocket 50s. No way that's worth your DSL1.

Lol...yeah man, I know the 'lil DSL ain't much compared to my big amps, but it's a hell of a lot better than I see most folks with around these parts...You see an occasional JCM800 or DSL50/100 on the local CL here, but mostly MG crap. I saw one this week asking around $800 for an MG half-stack...:laughings:.fuck you buy the same thing with 2 cabs for about that much...:facepalm:

Alritey .... the next month or two I'm gonna be going thru my outlier gear ..... stuff that I have sitting in piles that I never use and may or may not produce anything useful.

In this case I'm not looking to get any particular sound ...... I'm just seeing what kinds of sounds I can get out of this junk .....
Not really playing .... just making sounds to hear how it reacts.
I'm making notes as I go so when I record I'll know what kinds of sounds I have available.
These might be anything from regular guitar tones to weird sound effects one of my obscure pedals might make.

And when something strikes me as interesting I'll stick the Teac DR-05 in front of it and record a few clips while I explore whatever sounds it has.
That means these recordings won't be done with a mic carefully placed but they should capture the essence of whatever I have.
I'm keeping these clips stored too so I should end up with lot of different sounds and tones I can get when I want something to layer or stick into a tune.
I tend to like strangish sounds and work with that rather than always go for some preconceived thing.

So here's a couple clips from something tonight that surprised me.
In a zillion years you'd never guess what it is ..... if your wiener dogs' life depended on it he'd be screwed because it's totally impossible for anyone ever in the universe to guess.
It is an amp .... not a sim.
No point in guessing ..... but I'll let it sit for a day before I tell you so you won't listen with any preconceptions.

Attachments

• Test 2.mp3
    4.8 MB · Views: 8
  • Test 1.mp3
    4.4 MB · Views: 9
Bob - I have no idea - sounds good at the extremely low volume I have to use at this time of day to avoid waking up the other chefs.

I remember plugging my guitar through a mostly broken tube based stereo receiver back in the 80s' - I'm lucky to be alive, I guess. It actually sounded pretty tinny and crappy, so I'm going to guess not that. Edit -- just read your post more closely - it *is* an amp (I thought you had said it was neither amp nor sim). I'm stumped - sounds little like a friend of mine's old Ampeg, but better.

Yeah minerman, I had an excellent craigslist experience with that Greenback cabinet I got a little while back -- just exactly what I had wanted at a really good price close by and it was just sort of there staring at me when I opened the listings. So of course since then I've been scouring the listings almost daily, but it's tough to see any wheat for all the chaff a lot of days.

So here's a couple clips from something tonight that surprised me.
In a zillion years you'd never guess what it is ..... if your wiener dogs' life depended on it he'd be screwed because it's totally impossible for anyone ever in the universe to guess.
It is an amp .... not a sim.
No point in guessing ..... but I'll let it sit for a day before I tell you so you won't listen with any preconceptions.

kewl! looking forward to the clips :)

Amp.JPG my guess :D

I don't know WTF that is Boob, but it sounds okay to me. I can hear the clank of pick hitting strings though. Can whatever that is go louder? I more like the clarity you're getting out of whatever pickups you're using. Single-coil-ish bite and definition but with some raunch.

I was sitting close to it so I guess the DR-05 picked up my pick attack ...... I'll have to watch that in the future.
It's definitely not super loud although I don't think an apt. dweller could get away with it.

The git is that green tele I built.

The amp is one of these:
It's a 10 watt Kustom practice amp with a 6 1/2" speaker ..... cost me 50 bucks and I only bought it because of my fondness for the old Kustom roll and pleated look.

It was just a knick-knack for the studio shelf.
Meant for nothing more than decoration actually, but much to my surprise I think it's gonna be useful for some lead work.

I was using the dirty channel about 3/4's of the way up.

I think it makes a case for it being possible to make anything sound passable. :D

Attachments

• Kustom Dart.jpg
    Kustom Dart.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 33
yeah ...... my first real amp was a Kustom bass rig with 2 3x15 cabs!

I remember being SO excited about it ..... it was actually a decent bass rig for the time.

I remember when those padded Korg amps were all around. They were a good cheap option for a practice amp. And hey, turn it on its side and it makes a nice ottoman!

I won't be making it to Edmonton to goto Avenue Guitars. Guess i will not be checking out any Marshalls this weekend. Which is fine for now. I guess i will cope. HaHa. Money is hella tight right now anyways.

I am trying to think of what my first real amp was? I think it was a Peavy Stereo Chorus 400. I couldn't make it sound good no matter what i did. After a few years of just collecting dust i had someone else look at it and and they were like "OH here's your problem, the speakers are ripped at the edges!! got any silicone? I'll fix it right up!"

It did not fix it. HaHa!

Back