The New Tone Thread

OK, so totally outside my usual style (my timing is a bit off) as I'm recording something that my niece likes and she wants to sing on it - she's actually a half decent singer - she's had loads of lessons and does musicals and shit in school.

Basically though - I have no fucking clue what I'm doing with this sort of thing.

View attachment 96596

OK, so totally outside my usual style (my timing is a bit off) as I'm recording something that my niece likes and she wants to sing on it - she's actually a half decent singer - she's had loads of lessons and does musicals and shit in school.

Basically though - I have no fucking clue what I'm doing with this sort of thing.

View attachment 96596

I'll name that tune in one - Half a World Away, by Oasis. Or as I prefer to call it, the Theme From Early Doors. :D Are you fingerstyling? The picking needs a little more twang or presence, I think. Sounds pretty good. There's a bleb on the bass track you might want to snip out. :D

Is this the new MP3 clinic, or what?

I'll name that tune in one - Half a World Away, by Oasis. Or as I prefer to call it, the Theme From Early Doors. :D Are you fingerstyling? The picking needs a little more twang or presence, I think. Sounds pretty good. There's a bleb on the bass track you might want to snip out. :D

Is this the new MP3 clinic, or what?

Yeah, for some reason my niece likes it... which is odd as she's 12.

Yeah, that's me on the acoustic finger-picking away! I've got an electric track to stick on too but I muted it there as I wanted you to hear the accoustic as its not something I've recorded before. I think I just need to give it a bit more effort with my picking when I've practiced the piece a bit more - I was still reading it off my notepad there - never cendusive to a good performance!

The drop to F on the bass over the G is intentional - doesn't really work though does it... at the same time I add a C on the first fret of the B string on the electric (what's that again? a 4th? 11th?) I think I'll just play G in future.

The drop to F on the bass over the G is intentional - doesn't really work though does it... at the same time I add a C on the first fret of the B string on the electric (what's that again? a 4th? 11th?) I think I'll just play G in future.
That's not the bit I meant, but you're right. It's just a little unintentional knock just before the intended note at 1:18.

And here's a remix of my previous track after I've had a little help sorting out the EQ on the guitars.

View attachment 96597

Yeah that is better. Ripping tones holmes. Now, the way I'm hearing it is related what I addressed earlier - use different tones. You've got a lot of stack-up of the same exact guitar tones. Same tones, same mic placement, same speaker, same amp, same guitar, too much same. Some variety in there will really make it sound huge and everything will pop.

That's not the bit I meant, but you're right. It's just a little unintentional knock just before the intended note at 1:18.
Cool. I'll look into that. That whole song is gonna be retracked anyway. I've just never recorded an acoustic before.

Yeah that is better. Ripping tones holmes. Now, the way I'm hearing it is related what I addressed earlier - use different tones. You've got a lot of stack-up of the same exact guitar tones. Same tones, same mic placement, same speaker, same amp, same guitar, too much same. Some variety in there will really make it sound huge and everything will pop.
Hmmmm. Think I need to restring the fucking ibanez! I know you hate Floyd Rose guitars.. this is gonna be a massive pain in the dick.

Think I'll try the Washburn too. I think it's also go pretty hot pickups.

I tweaked the EQ on the other guitar to match the one you helped me with too... in hindsight that might have been a shit idea.

Classic..............

The only time he wasn't dressed as a school boy was when he was a school boy. :eek:

Attachments

• 12920331_835197999958837_4981448955708304968_n.jpg
    12920331_835197999958837_4981448955708304968_n.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 4
That is a very cool pedal - nice playing and the song snippets are earworms that'll sell, sell, sell.

I would use it for rhythm stuff ..... just to add another thing to have to deal with .... that way I'd not only be controlling lights and the keyboard loops and guitar effects with my feet but then I'd also have to be changing speeds and such too .... eventually I'll have so much going on at foot level I'll essentially be floating in the air as my feet never even touch down!

I'm still struggling with a cold and lack of sleep. But I do have an EHX MEL9 pedal that's supposed to arrive via FedEx today. I ordered it on 3/15 and it finally shipped. Hopefully I can stay upright long enough to give it a try this evening. Much like that Lester G, it's a pedal that nobody really needs but was too damn cool to pass up.

I'll try to get caught up on tones later today. I'm stuck on my laptop until later. 1" laptop speakers just don't cut it for listening to tones.

Here's another vid, this is still a learning process for me, I got the video to go fullscreen, but it's not in HD. I used a different camera, so I'm sure it's something I did wrong somewhere along the line...

At least where the video is kinda blurry, you can't see how ugly my mug really is...:laughings:.

Back