The New Tone Thread

As I said, I'll be happy to contribute. Got a 70's Gretsch with a 22" kick, toms are 12, 14, 15 and 18. I'm looking to put some new skins on, but haven't yet. The drums are always mic'd and ready to go.

Yes, me too. Greg we need you because you have great sounding drum tracks and know stuff about things. IT would be cool having different ears and ideas for drums like you guys got going in this thread.

There's probably equal merit in two threads to be fair - a live drums tone thread and a fake drums tone thread. I want to get real drums on my tracks eventually, but in the mean time I want to make my fake drums sound as good as possible.

There's no reason for people to be intimidated - no one playing any sort of "band" music (rock, funk, metal, folk etc) actually wants fake drums and there's no shame in admitting you just don't have the space and money to play and record drums. You still want to make your fake drums sound as good as they possibly can.
You'd be surprised. Some people in here celebrate fake drums and look for any reason to bash using real drums.

As I said, I'll be happy to contribute. Got a 70's Gretsch with a 22" kick, toms are 12, 14, 15 and 18. I'm looking to put some new skins on, but haven't yet. The drums are always mic'd and ready to go.

That's cool. A 15" tom? You don't see many of those.

Yes, me too. Greg we need you because you have great sounding drum tracks and know stuff about things. IT would be cool having different ears and ideas for drums like you guys got going in this thread.

If you have any questions or whatever, just PM me. I don't feel like fighting off the flies when it comes to this stuff. I'm the one that always has to pay for others' insecurities.

You'd be surprised. Some people in here celebrate fake drums and look for any reason to bash using real drums.
They're either into dance music or they're just wrong.
I wonder actually, does anyone ever post up fake drums on their own (i.e. not mixed with guitars and bass) to get tips on how to make them sound better?

They're either into dance music or they're just wrong.
You can't say that. No one is ever wrong anymore. All opinions are valid, everyone is right, everyone wins.
I wonder actually, does anyone ever post up fake drums on their own (i.e. not mixed with guitars and bass) to get tips on how to make them sound better?
There are threads in here where I go into pretty good detail on how to make fake drums sound better. Basic stuff from an actual drummer's perspective that can improve the realism of fake drums. Ask real drummers and we all pretty much agree on things that can make fake drums better. The site boss asked me for some tips, then he posted it somewhere. And maybe in this thread, I went over a bunch of stuff with minerman, and his shit got way way better. Judging by what I hear from most mixes in here, I really don't think most people care anymore. It's too hard, and they don't have the drum experience to even know what's good and what isn't. They seem content with just plopping down whatever canned shit their drum programs give them. Then when someone says something about it, they argue the point. I'm over it. My real drums fucking rule, and I'm content to let most of the sucky people stay sucky if they're just gonna be difficult about it.

That's cool. A 15" tom? You don't see many of those.

It was part of a double kit which had 12, 13, 14 and 15 inch rack toms and 16 and 18 floor toms. When my buddy sold half the kits years ago, he kept the best sounding stuff. The 18 floor tom is worth more alone than I paid for the whole kit. I actually added legs to the 15" to make it a floor tom for an open mic I was running. So my except a 12" Blackhawk (by Gretsch, that I bought for $10 on Craigslist) , the rest is vintage 70's. I believe including cymbals and stands I'm in about $800 for everything. The 18" floor tom is going for more than that on fleabay.

There are threads in here where I go into pretty good detail on how to make fake drums sound better. The site boss asked me for some tips, then he posted it somewhere. And maybe in this thread, I went over a bunch of stuff with minerman, and his shit got way way better. Judging by what I hear from most mixes in here, I really don't think most people care anymore. They seem content with just plopping down whatever canned shit their drum programs give them. Then when someone says something about it, they argue the point.
Ah, right. I don't use "canned" beats exactly. I have a shit load of sample hits of varying intensity on a real kit and I edit them together to make complete beats.

No one should whinge if you put together a "real live drums tone thread" the title of it alone excludes fake drum input :) if you start that, I'll start a fake drums tone thread 'cos I'm actually alright at it.

It was part of a double kit which had 12, 13, 14 and 15 inch rack toms and 16 and 18 floor toms. When my buddy sold half the kits years ago, he kept the best sounding stuff. The 18 floor tom is worth more alone than I paid for the whole kit. I actually added legs to the 15" to make it a floor tom for an open mic I was running. So my except a 12" Blackhawk (by Gretsch, that I bought for $10 on Craigslist) , the rest is vintage 70's. I believe including cymbals and stands I'm in about $800 for everything. The 18" floor tom is going for more than that on fleabay.

That sounds awesome. IMO, there aint much better than a well tuned 18" floor tom. I use one myself. I used to have two 70s Rogers kits. One of them got stolen, the other I sold. They were okay. I think modern kits sound better than vintage kits. I know, crazy, right? Vintage guitars and amps are better, modern drums are better.

Maybe if Rami comes back. I'd want him in on it too. People get upset when we talk real drums though. I guess it's intimidating? I don't know. And then it'd probably get polluted with programming talk, and then the whole thing gets ruined. And then I get blamed again for hurting people's feelings. Then I get banned again. I think I just talked myself out of it.
well .... maybe come up with a canned response ..... "this thread is for dialing in real drumbs ..... please go to the programmed drumb thread for fake drumbs" ....... do that instead of ...... "yeah, you lame fake drummers will always suck and yo' momma was at my house last night!" ........ :D

well .... maybe come up with a canned response ..... "this thread is for dialing in real drumbs ..... please go to the programmed drumb thread for fake drumbs" ....... do that instead of ...... "yeah, you lame fake drummers will always suck and yo' momma was at my house last night!" ........ :D

But they need to know that I'm banging their mom. I'm always honest.

I'm content to let most of the sucky people stay sucky if they're just gonna be difficult about it.
hell, how do you think I feel about live players? Nowadays 75% of the live players I hear suck. And then everyone around me oohs and ahhs over how awesome they are.
I say nothing because when I say, "He sucks" they don't understand. They think I'm being mean but I'm not ..... they suck is why I say it.
But I don't say it anymore because no one seems to have any discernment about music anymore.

Only here ..... in the tone thread ..... remain the last dozen or so non-zombie musicians hiding away from the apocalypse.

Oh, I've got the bendy snake attachment (in place of the rigid neck - still not enough reach and if the bendy thing was any longer it would start to go floppy.

I always shove a bent in half piece of wire coat hanger like you get from the dry cleaners into my bendy snake things to stiffen them up. Kinda works ok. The 12" to 18" bendy snake things get a little floppy with a mic attached...what with all that gravity and such.

hell, how do you think I feel about live players? Nowadays 75% of the live players I hear suck. And then everyone around me oohs and ahhs over how awesome they are.
I say nothing because when I say, "He sucks" they don't understand. They think I'm being mean but I'm not ..... they suck is why I say it.
But I don't say it anymore because no one seems to have any discernment about music anymore.

Only here ..... in the tone thread ..... remain the last dozen or so non-zombie musicians hiding away from the apocalypse.

Oh man, it's really really bad in my punk rock world. I'd say 90% of the people I hear in local and regional "punk" bands have no business leaving the house with instruments. The mindless punk mantra that you don't have to be good to play has been taken too far. The original idea was that you don't have to be a virtuoso. You don't have to be Led Zeppelin or Jimi Hendrix to play in a punk band. Fine, no problem there. None of those first wave punk bands were virtuosos, but they were competent. They could play chords, do basic solos, play drums, runs on bass, etc. These modern idiots took that original idea and took it to an extreme to think that you don't have to be able to play at all. They think it's a badge of honor to be bad. Fuck the system, we suck! Punk as fuck! They celebrate slop and bad sounds and broken cymbals, etc. It drives me fucking insane. I'm certainly no virtuoso, but I don't embarrass myself either. I have good, working equipment and I know how to use it for the music I play. I don't think it's asking too much for others to do the same in my little close-knit scene of dumb punk rock. But in reality it is asking too much because they think the worse you suck, the better it is. I AM Jimi fucking Hendrix and John motherfucking Bonham compared to these losers.

None of those first wave punk bands were virtuosos, but they were competent. They could play chords, do basic solos, play drums, runs on bass, etc.

well, rake the Ramones for instance ..... on their earlier albums there's a few 'standards' they do and they did them well.
They absolutely knew how to play ..... they designed a style they were going for but it wasn't because they couldn't play so that was all they could do.

There's a lot of that (guys that suck but for some reason have an audience that thinks they're great) around here but thankfully there's so many more good musicians that those guys are usually easy to avoid. I mean, I'm an incredibly laid back guy that can sit through almost anything but there are a couple of guys around here that I actually have to go outside because I can't take more than 2 minutes of their schtick.

There's a lot of that (guys that suck but for some reason have an audience that thinks they're great) around here but thankfully there's so many more good musicians that those guys are usually easy to avoid. I mean, I'm an incredibly laid back guy that can sit through almost anything but there are a couple of guys around here that I actually have to go outside because I can't take more than 2 minutes of their schtick.

I saw a band like that recently - I was watching a band with some mates and the singer (who just sang for the first track) got his guitar out for the 2nd song. It was a pointy thing with EMGs on it. I said to my mate before they started playing the song "I bet he's got so much distortion and mid-scoop you can't even hear what he's playing". They were only playing Another Brick In The Wall Part II. He played the solo like that too, really over distorted and shreddy - but not well either.

The success of a "Fake Drums Tone Thread" will actually be a pretty handy indication of if people actually give a shit about how their drums sound at all.

the singer (who just sang for the first track) got his guitar out for the 2nd song.
when I first moved to Florida 10 years ago I immediately got a gig with one of the 'names' around here. The singer was decent .... a blues guy.

So he got it in his head he wanted to play guitar ..... but he didn't play.
I don't mean he wasn't good ..... I mean he didn't play at all. Did not know a single note or chord.
It was as if you gave a guitar to your mom or anyone else in your family that's never even held a guitar.

When he would pick up the guitar he would just put his fingers on the board and play random notes .... sometimes multiple notes as if it was a 'chord' but really, just random notes.
No way it could be worse if you tried.
A TOTAL non-player.

So one night ( a bass player that also played with the band says this is his favorite Steve story) he's 'playing' guitar and I could take it no more.
So the bass player says he saw me lean over and whisper something in his ear and thank God, he put the guitar down. He says he asked him later what I had said and was told I said, "If you can't play then quit playing the damned thing!"
:D

The next week I was canned!
:laughings:

Back