The New Tone Thread

I changed my strings and went through some more of the presets.

I think it sounds a lot better today. Those were some old ass strings.
One of those tones is a "Monster 800" so I'm guessing a JCM 800 at about 1:10.

Bumping our thread back up to the top guys....I've been trying to get a talkbox effect, without having a fuckin' talkbox, so give this a listen & let me know how cheesy or shitty it sounds....Not going into specifics about the signal chain unless some of you guys think this might actually pass for a talkbox....

talkbox

Hmm, well some of those sound okay to me. Kind of typical gained up modeler fare. That VH flanger thing is ghastly. The cleaner stuff sounds pretty good though.

Bumping our thread back up to the top guys....I've been trying to get a talkbox effect, without having a fuckin' talkbox, so give this a listen & let me know how cheesy or shitty it sounds....Not going into specifics about the signal chain unless some of you guys think this might actually pass for a talkbox....

talkbox

I think that's probably better than your last attempts I heard. It's getting a little more "talky". Still not extreme enough though IMO. It needs to get more talky. :D

same reaction as teh gerg ... that flanged thing is the worst of the worst ..... everything else sounds pretty good ..... needs a little chorus on Simple Man.! :D

miner ...... doesn't sound like a talkbox at all ..... not even a little bit .............. sorry.

If that's something you want .... and I guess it is since you've put some time in trying to get that sound .... just get one ...... they're only a buck and a half.

same reaction as teh gerg ... that flanged thing is the worst of the worst ..... everything else sounds pretty good ..... needs a little chorus on Simple Man.! :D

I had to check out "Simple Man".
This is the song I was actually playing mostly -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIwWXgoWuSw
I always knew that he had an LS influence but this is pretty damn blatant. Then again, it's just a C-G-Am chord progression.

The flanged thing was labelled "VH 80s" so I had to bust out the only VH riff I know :D

At this point I'm wondering if it might be my guitar that's holding the Kemper back a bit. All the tones I've done with this guitar have a muddy spot around the lowish mids that I can't seem to get rid of on most any amplifier I've recorded.

Overall, I find that the Kemper has tigher low end and more warmth than the Axe-Fx Ultra did.

What kind of guitar/pickups are you using?

How does the Kemper work anyway? Does it use impulse response technology? I ask because every single cab/speaker impulse I've ever heard has a sort of exagerrated low-mid woof that's somewhat typical of miking an actual speaker, but it's always too much for some reason with cab/speaker impulses.

miner ...... doesn't sound like a talkbox at all ..... not even a little bit .............. sorry.

If that's something you want .... and I guess it is since you've put some time in trying to get that sound .... just get one ...... they're only a buck and a half.

Thanks guys, well, it's a lot better IMO than the last attempt, but still no banana....:D.

I'd love to have one Bob, but the buck & 1/2 is the problem dude, still haven't went back to work, & no funds for gear...at all....but I have put some of my stuff I don't use on the local CL, so maybe I'll be able to flip some of this shit & get some different gear that I use....

While I'm on that subject, I can get an old, Peavey 2x12 really cheap (2 of my T-75 speakers), it's unloaded, & looks like shit, but it'll probably serve the purpose I want it for:

I was gonna let those speakers go for about $50-70 apiece, so I'll have about $100 in the cab....The guy that has is said it's got Celestion Rocket 50w speakers in it, but I'm not interested in those at all, & if I did take 'em, I'd probably have 2 speakers that I'd never use, and would probably never be able to get rid of....

i promised tharon jones i would give him a listen to my song when it was finished

he died recently

the day of the vocal session was one of the worst days of my life lol

i got soaked waiting for the aaa guy to get my keys i had locked in my car while smoking in the parking lot

the finished product was so awful i only listened to it once

all washed out with digital effects

but i had gotten what i wanted

the so called rough bounce

bob wanted to hear what i got for my 6000

here it is

im going to put it in audacity and keep singing takes til its acceptable

im also considering adding a little guitar of my own

Wazzle - Listen and download mp3 - Kiwi6 Mp3 Upload

after what happened to tharon i decided to post the rough mix sans vocal

its dry like a fine martini isnt it

no effects, no idiotic production

raw

What kind of guitar/pickups are you using?

How does the Kemper work anyway? Does it use impulse response technology? I ask because every single cab/speaker impulse I've ever heard has a sort of exagerrated low-mid woof that's somewhat typical of miking an actual speaker, but it's always too much for some reason with cab/speaker impulses.

An Epiphone LP custom. I honestly have no idea what kind of pickups it uses. I bought it second hand for half price from a friend years ago. I wouldn't know how to find out either... :/

Fuck me if I know how the Kemper does it. I've heard a guy say that it's different from the IR "Tone Match" system that the Axe-Fx II has, so it might be a whole new technology but I doubt it.
This is what I found online:
"Best I can gather, it basically starts with a vocabulary of generic amp and cab models in memory, compares them against real-life amps/cabs by pumping the real ones with various test signals, chooses the internal models that best match the real ones and then tweaks them to match the distortion, resonance and EQ characteristics."
Apparently nobody but Mr. Kemper really knows what is happening.

edit: pulling out about 2db at 160 and 320 helps unmud the sound a lot. I'll do some more clips some time

Last edited:
Gene Simmons uses a Sans Amp for gigs...skip to 10mins. Wireless to sans amp - to his monitor & Wireless to a compressor to a SANS AMP amp. If he uses an amp by Sansamp isn't it an Avecamp?

I loved that. Cool guitars, no effects, no bullshit. For a band that is notoriously over the top in everything they do, that's probably about as simple as you can get for the size venues they play.

Wow - so easy to get behind with this thread!

Minerman - I once DIY'ed a talkbox with a small plastic tub with a lid, an unwanted crappy computer speaker, some clear plastic tubing, duct tape of course, and I think the only tool I needed was a knife. It has been many years and I don't remember the details, but it worked surprisingly well. I'm sure I found instructions on the internet - definitely no original thought in that project. The main drawbacks were that it was really fragile and awkward to use, and it looked like hell. More effort on my part could have solved those issues.

talkbox

edit: found a picture
ghettotalkbox1-orig.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty cool vid, makes us "little" guys feel a bit better knowing the rigs we have could actually play a venue like that: guitar > 50/100w head > 4x12

Think I'm gonna back out on that Peavey cab, while it might be a good sounding cab, it's beat to hell, & I honestly want a 2061x style cab for my Ceriatone...Just gonna keep trying to sell the gear I don't use & hopefully I'll be able to get one, probably from Sourmash, unless I can find a used one...GAS is getting the best of me for a 2x12 though, been wanting one for a pretty good while now, but I'll just have to wait a little longer I suppose....

Antichef: I've saw those DIY vids on a talkbox, but that's something else I'm gonna try to get if/when I ever sell this gear I'm not using. Believe it or not, the talkbox clip I posted was the talk wah in Guitar Rig 5 blended with a pair of earbuds ran into the 609 mic. I actually had the earbuds in my mouth like the tube of a talkbox. That would work, but the little speakers just don't put out enough volume or bottom end to do the trick, so, I'll most likely just wait & try to buy one...

unless I'm mistaken the commercial talkboxes use horn drivers.
The cheapish ones that have a lot of midrange and a low crossover point.

IF you buy one .... get something like my Rocktron Banshee ..... it has its own power amp so you use it like a stompbox and do not have to hook it up to a speaker output from your amp.

MXR has one out recently too that they touted as a big deal because it uses a built in amp too but they stole that idea from the Banshee which has had it for years.
So get one like that ..... hooking them up to your amps speaker out is a PIA and I've heard of messing up amps with them also.
So built in amp is the way to go.

Yeah Bob, the Rocktron was the one I was referring to....I saw the MXR, but figured the Rocktron would be as good/better because they've been at it longer....

Yeah Bob, the Rocktron was the one I was referring to....I saw the MXR, but figured the Rocktron would be as good/better because they've been at it longer....

they have two models .... the cheaper one is what you want.
The more expensive has an effects loop built in .......... can't imagine a use for that in the studio and it add 100 bucks to the cost.

they have two models .... the cheaper one is what you want.
The more expensive has an effects loop built in .......... can't imagine a use for that in the studio and it add 100 bucks to the cost.
Yeah, thanks Bob, I meant to put that in my last post, but was kinda in a hurry to go buy some grub & smokes....

How long have you had yours dude????

Do you use it very much???

Just wondering, I've always liked that effect a lot, Joe Walsh, Frampton, & Richie Sambora all used it in songs that I liked pretty well....It's a cool effect IMO...

Back