The New Tone Thread

That sounds pretty good dude, especially since you just got that thing, & haven't had a lot of time to play around with it....I'm curious to what amp/cab models come with it myself...I know you can buy profiles from different people/places too, but again, what comes with that thing "stock/standard"???

I don't know what was stock and what Thomann added but you can download every amp in existence from the Kemper website so it hardly matters. I've got about 130 on here that came with it.

The lead tone in that clip is pretty okay, but those rhythm tracks are not getting it done for me. They sound dark and woofy. I'm not dogging the Kemper because I know it can do much better than that. I think the Kemper is top of the heap when it comes to modeling. But that aint no $2000 upper echelon sim sound. That's like a 100 dollar POD sound.

I just had a quick look at the Kemper site, the list of amps that come with that thing are pretty cool, & there are lots of 'em.....

Big question I have is can you mix/match amps & cabs, or you have to use the cab that was profiled with the amp???

And yeah Greg, I was cutting him some slack because he's only had it a little while, but I've heard some really good clips from that thing...

The cab is never profiled separately from the amp. It's all just one profile. The Kemper can't tell what is contributing what to the sound it captures.
So you could run a Marshall through V30s through Greenbacks if you wanted to.

@Greg: the lead and the rhythm are the same tone, actually. It does sound better on the lead. I rolled off the highs too much and boosted the bass too far. A step of "1" on the Kemper seems to be about 3-4dB on most other controls.

So you can't match a head to a cab with that thing? Like run a Marshall head through a 2x12 Mesa V30 cab? It isn't that specific?

Yeah I know, he just needs to keep playing with it. It will probably take a year to figure that thing out.
Yeah man, like I mentioned, I've heard some pretty convincing clips from the Kemper, & I think it'd be neat to have all those amps/cabs in one place myself, but, to me, it's still a really high-priced gizmo like a POD or Fractal, although I think it sounds better than all the other modelers out there right now....
The cab is never profiled separately from the amp. It's all just one profile. The Kemper can't tell what is contributing what to the sound it captures

So what you profile is what you get, right???? For example, if I profile my Chupa through a T-75 speaker, I'm stuck with that speaker, I can't swap cabs or whatever, right???

So you can't match a head to a cab with that thing? Like run a Marshall head through a 2x12 Mesa V30 cab? It isn't that specific?

Looks like I had my information wrong! I did some profiling with my friend's Kemper last week and we never stumbled across this option. It just seemed to meld the amplifier and the cabinet into one profile

From the website:

"Yes!
Any Studio Profile consists of an Amplifier Profile and a Cabinet Profile. Therefor it is possible to virtually combine amps and cabinets as you like or even play an Amplifier Profile through a physical guitar speaker cabinet.
You could also use the Cab Maker application to transform cabinet impulse responses into Profiler Cabinet Presets, which you could then import and combine with any Amp Profile."

Didn't know that.

I was under the impression that to profile an amp you actually hook the Kemper up to the amp's inputs AND the speaker output for it to run it's impulse measuring process.
Am I wrong?

If I'm not wrong then the speaker wouldn't be a factor but I'm possibly mistaken so let me know .... I'm curious but not curious enough to exart any effort looking it up.
:)

I was under the impression that to profile an amp you actually hook the Kemper up to the amp's inputs AND the speaker output for it to run it's impulse measuring process.
Am I wrong?

If I'm not wrong then the speaker wouldn't be a factor but I'm possibly mistaken so let me know .... I'm curious but not curious enough to exart any effort looking it up.
:)

We sent the signal through an amp -> cabinet -> microphone and sent that microphone's output into the Kemper.

OK .... that's what ya'll did ..... but if it's possible to profile an amp without a cab then there MUST be someway to get the amps output without a cab.

So for that it would seem to me you'd have to hook the am,ps output to the kemper also right?

ah the hell with it ..... I'll go look it up

OK .... that's what ya'll did ..... but if it's possible to profile an amp without a cab then there MUST be someway to get the amps output without a cab.

So for that it would seem to me you'd have to hook the am,ps output to the kemper also right?

ah the hell with it ..... I'll go look it up

That's how I've always understood it. The Kemper does something like send a white noise signal through the amp head and back into the Kemper. It maps the amp's DNA, and stores it as a preset. Some real voodoo shit. Then you run it through a cab and it's supposedly like you're using that amp head. If you already own the host amp this isn't very useful. But if you're renting or borrowing, you can steal all kind of amp essence.

That's how I've always understood it. The Kemper does something like send a white noise signal through the amp head and back into the Kemper. It maps the amp's DNA, and stores it as a preset. Some real voodoo shit. Then you run it through a cab and it's supposedly like you're using that amp head. If you already own the host amp this isn't very useful. But if you're renting or borrowing, you can steal all kind of amp essence.

It's the same as a confluence reverb, in my little head.

Good lord they've got a lot of amp profiles that come with that thing. Holy Crap! :eek:
Worth going to their site just to look that over.

I was semi-wrong/right.
You can profile with a mic in front of a cab but you can also profile just the pre-amp by sending a line level from the pre-amp out (effects loop send ) back to the Kemper instead.
It doesn't take a speaker level signal.

But I don't see any reason you couldn't use a speaker box/att of some kind that gives you the speaker out at line-level.
They don't mention that but if it'll take line level outta the loop then line level is line level; so there should be a way to get your amps' power section also if you wished.
You'd just have to get a line level signal off the speaker-out to do it.

I may e-mail them and ask about that.

Good lord they've got a lot of amp profiles that come with that thing. Holy Crap! :eek:
Worth going to their site just to look that over.

I was semi-wrong/right.
You can profile with a mic in front of a cab but you can also profile just the pre-amp by sending a line level from the pre-amp out (effects loop send ) back to the Kemper instead.
It doesn't take a speaker level signal.

But I don't see any reason you couldn't use a speaker box/att of some kind that gives you the speaker out at line-level.
They don't mention that but if it'll take line level outta the loop then line level is line level; so there should be a way to get your amps' power section also if you wished.
You'd just have to get a line level signal off the speaker-out to do it.

I may e-mail them and ask about that.

The Palmer PDI-03 would work perfectly for that. It takes the speaker output of the amp and converts it to line level with or without the speaker sim.

right ..... so even though they don't mention that i can see no reason why it wouldn't work ...... a line level is a line level.

Back