The New Tone Thread

I want to get my hands on one of the Audix i5's. It sounds like i could benefit from one based on Tadpuis reply a few posts back. I sort of have the same issue. If i try to notch out the fizz entirely i lose some of the life breath of the tone. I might start looking for one this week.

I use my i5 just as much as the 57. I think they're both awesome, and they work together really well on the same speaker.

The i5 is a little smoother than the 57, and the 57 is a little more biting and aggressive. Good combination.

Finally got around to a shitpile of clips with the Weber Mass 200 attenuator. For this round, we'll be blasting the 100w Plexi and bringing it down to TV volumes.

Gibson Angus SG - bridge pickup
Marshall Plexi 1959SLP
Presence - 5
Bass - 5
Mid - 4
Treb - 6
Vol 1 - 6
Vol 2 - 2
High input 1 - channels linked
Marshall 1960a 4x12 - G12-65 - e609 dustcap/cone - Audix i5 edge - 50/50 blend
Both mics on axis, on grill
No EQ

So these first clips are with the mic pres all at the same setting so you can hear the volume go down in each clip. Nothing changed on the amp from clip to clip. I just turned down the attenuator 2 steps at a time.
Full Power
Attenuator at 8
Attenuator at 6
Attenuator at 4
Attenuator at 2
Attenuator at .5 - TV volume
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In these clips, I grabbed a few and normalized them to be about the same loudness so you can hear the attenuator's affect on tone at the same relative listening level.

Full Power
Attenator at 6 normalized
Attenuator at .5 TV volume normalized

See what you think. :)

Finally got around to a shitpile of clips with the Weber Mass 200 attenuator. For this round, we'll be blasting the 100w Plexi and bringing it down to TV volumes.

Marshall Plexi 1959SLP
Presence - 5
Bass - 5
Mid - 4
Treb - 6
Vol 1 - 6
Vol 2 - 2
No EQ

So these first clips are with the mic pres all at the same setting so you can hear the volume go down in each clip. Nothing changed on the amp from clip to clip. I just turned down the attenuator 2 steps at a time.
Full Power
Attenuator at 8
Attenuator at 6
Attenuator at 4
Attenuator at 2
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In these clips, I grabbed a few and normalized them to be about the same loudness so you can hear the attenuator's affect on tone at the same relative listening level.

Full Power

Ooh, this is what I've been waiting for. I'll check these out tomorrow morning when I get chance. Thanks for posting!

Ooh, this is what I've been waiting for. I'll check these out tomorrow morning when I get chance. Thanks for posting!

Cool, no problem. You might be interested in the next bunch of clips too when I use the Weber Mass with a master volume amp - like the beast god of loud JCM 800.

Cool Greg, I've been waiting for these clips since you bought that attenuator too...You can definitely hear it takes the high end away, especially in the tv volume clips, but that's expected I suppose...I think an attenuator would really be cool to have myself, & I'm especially wanting to hear how that thing does with your master volume amps myself...

As usual, your clips sound awesome, especially the full, wound-up volume of your super lead...

The attenuator does make a drastic difference in the loudness, I'm actually really surprised. And if you were to actually record something with it wound down, you could probably use the pre-amp gain on your interface to get the signal up to par...

Cool man, again, I've been waiting to hear these clips for a while now....

I'm gonna vote for you to make a few clips with the JVM & the Weber if you get a chance. I know it's got a master volume, & you can get it down to bedroom levels with it, but I'm pretty curious to hear what it'd sound like with the Weber...

I've been looking around for a used attenuator, & I've found a couple/few, but don't have the funds for one. I've offered some of the gear I don't use (T-75's, 1x12's), but nobody is interested in 'em so far...I might just have to wait until I go back to work before I can snag one up...

Awesome, thanks.

One feature I didn't mess with was the treble compensation for heavy attenuation. You can hear that the wound down clips get a little cloudy. There's a treble knob on the attenuator that's supposed to bring some sparkle back into it. I didn't use that. That might make the .5 clip shine a little better. But overall I think it does a great job of not mangling the tone at moderate attenuation, which is why I got it. For a gig, I use this amp with the attenuator around 6-7. That knocks off just enough to not blow the place apart but it still sounds like it's supposed to sound. IMO, and the clips sort of back this up, at around "4" on the dial is where things start to really change. It's still pretty loud in the room, but I can hear the speakers and cab sort of start to relax, and the tone kind of flattens out. Everything above that sounds about how it's supposed to.

240 bucks is 240 bucks, but if you got it and want an attenuator, you could do way worse than this one. I think it's pretty awesome. It's WAY better than the PPIMV on this same amp.

I'll do some master vol clips in the next couple days.

Really wanting to hear some more clips with that thing dude, if you get a chance, do a couple/few with your JVM, as that'd be pretty close to using one on my DSL100....

The clips you posted today have given me a pretty good idea how my Chupa will sound in plexi mode with an attenuator, I really don't need it for the other modes, as the diode clipping makes the amp much quieter already...

Yeah, I know $240 ain't really shit, but it is when you don't have it to spend on gear, so I'll just wait a while, unless by luck someone wants to trade for what I wanna get rid of, but most likely, it ain't gonna happen...

Cool thanks for throwing that up Greg. What a huge difference!!!!

My newb ears heard the cloud and the attenuation side affects (for lack of better terms in my own vocabulary) on all the tones but i don't know if anyone else noticed but for some reason my ears think that the the attenuation on level 4 seemed to reintroduce some of those highs? I could be crazy. it's likely i am or my environment but i swear i heard it.

Very cool exercise Greg.

I am also looking for one of those i5 mics. My thrifty hunt begins tonight.

Marshall Plexi 1959SLP
Presence - 5
Bass - 5
Mid - 4
Treb - 6
Vol 1 - 6
Vol 2 - 2
No EQ

Full Power
Attenuator at 8
Attenuator at 6
Attenuator at 4
Attenuator at 2

Full Power

That full-blast version sounded a little phase-y, like the mics were fighting a bit. Less so with the others.

When the attenuator got down to 2, I could definitely hear the amp lose its punch. But honestly it still sounds pretty damn awesome. Even at TV volume, there's not much wrong with that tone. Its definitely lacking the life of the higher volume clips but not many people would be ashamed to lay down that tone on a song. I only cranked my monitor volume on the last one (of the first set) and I could hear that phase-y comb filtering again.

I really like the sound of those pickups on that guitar. They really bite and have a nasty edge to them. That seems to be the main thing that the higher attenuation robs the tone of, is the speakers reacting to that quick cutting attack that those pickups have. At full-bore, it would (almost) be a pleasure to just hear you whacking the muted strings for a minute or two. I guess you could say that I'm Hot Blooded for that guitar :)

man ...... I hear the differences but really, they're not huge and much better than using a master volume amp and just getting pre-amp distortion.

The tv-volume level kinda had its own sound .... in a way that might make that a useful sound in and of itself.
That's a pretty impressive attenuator.

Thanks a lot everybody.

Shan - Those i5s are only about 100 US bucks brand new. For such a good, smooth cab mic, I think that's a bargain.

Tadpui - That's a Gibson Angus Young humbucker in that guitar. They're pretty hot. Not metal hot, but they're definitely the hottest pickups I have in any guitar. There's a lot of midrange snarl and bite in that pickup. It's kind of like a 57 Classic on steroids. Good pickup for rock and roll.

LtBoob - Agreed. I like this way much better than turning a vol down and turning the preamp gain up. Using an attenuator with a non master vol amp is a no brainer. It's a little trickier to dial everything in with a master vol amp.

If yall have any ideas on how you want me to test the attenuator with the master volume amps, I'm all ears. For me "gig loud" is the baseline, so that's where I'm leaning with the master vol clips.

Anyway, I'm thinking these kinds of clips:
1) Loud ass amp by itself
2) Loud ass amp turned down to gig level with master vol
3) Loud ass amp turned down to gig level with attenuator
4) Loud ass amp turned down to TV volume with master vol
5) Loud ass amp attenuated down to TV volume with attenuator.

Hey Greg. I'd be interested to hear an attempt to bring it down to a reasonable recording volume, maybe between gig and TV level (i.e. Too loud to talk over, but not loud enough for the police to come round) with the attenuator, plus an attempt to adjust the tone to how it was at full volume, either with the treble adjuster on the attenuator or the JCM800 controls.

and when it's loud-ass amp without using the master volume you'll have the master wide open?
I can, though I don't usually use them like that. Even though I can be as loud as I want at home I usually keep my master vol amps around 7-ish for recording. That's super loud, way too loud for gigs, but not fully "cranked". So most of my guitar tracks with the master volume amps aren't cranked all the way, but the amps are in their happy place which is generally much too loud for bar/club gigs. That's what I consider my baseline - my own personal home recording volume that is too loud for gigs. From that level I'll do clips attenuated and turned down with the master volume. Or I can crank them if you want me too. :D

I tell you this, I don't know if it's technically louder by decibels, but the JCM 800 2203 is much scarier cranked up than the Plexi is. It just sounds like all hell is about to break loose. It's pants flapping powerful. I get the impression that if I'm gonna blow a speaker or break a window one day, it's gonna be from the JCM 800. It's that damn ridiculous. You know how it is, don't you have an old Ampeg V2 or something?

Hey Greg. I'd be interested to hear an attempt to bring it down to a reasonable recording volume, maybe between gig and TV level (i.e. Too loud to talk over, but not loud enough for the police to come round) with the attenuator, plus an attempt to adjust the tone to how it was at full volume, either with the treble adjuster on the attenuator or the JCM800 controls.

Sure, I can do that. Something between TV and gig volume. No problem.

I can, though I don't usually use them like that. Even though I can be as loud as I want at home I usually keep my master vol amps around 7-ish for recording. That's super loud, way too loud for gigs, but not fully "cranked". So most of my guitar tracks with the master volume amps aren't cranked all the way, but the amps are in their happy place which is generally much too loud for bar/club gigs. That's what I consider my baseline - my own personal home recording volume that is too loud for gigs. From that level I'll do clips attenuated and turned down with the master volume. Or I can crank them if you want me too. :D

I tell you this, I don't know if it's technically louder by decibels, but the JCM 800 2203 is much scarier cranked up than the Plexi is. It just sounds like all hell is about to break loose. It's pants flapping powerful. I get the impression that if I'm gonna blow a speaker or break a window one day, it's gonna be from the JCM 800. It's that damn ridiculous. You know how it is, don't you have an old Ampeg V2 or something?

Sure, I can do that. Something between TV and gig volume. No problem.

We have a different idea of reasonable recording volume, I know! At home I can turn it up so it's the only thing you'd be able to hear in the room and can clearly hear in the next room along, but it's not so loud to rattle windows or be a nuisance to anyone outside. That's the sort of volume I'm shooting for! Hope that makes sense.

We have a different idea of reasonable recording volume, I know! At home I can turn it up so it's the only thing you'd be able to hear in the room and can clearly hear in the next room along, but it's not so loud to rattle windows or be a nuisance to anyone outside. That's the sort of volume I'm shooting for! Hope that makes sense.

Yup, no problem. I'd probably guess that's around 2-3 on the master vol.

Cool, thanks!

That Orange I was bidding on ends soon, it's gone up to £410 now. You can get a brand new one for £530. It stops being worth it that close to new price, IMHO. I'd rather pay full price and get the warranty.

I'd just like to hear the JVM at your recording level, then stepped down about like you did the super lead dude...My usual recording level seems like it's about like yours, loud as fuck. The reason I'm interested in the JVM myself is it's about like the DSL I have, which gets most of it's tone from the pre-amp tubes, & I'm curious to see how much the power tubes come into the sound like that. With my DSL, by the time I get it to "5", it's wall shaking loud, but the sweet spot for that amp is about "7" or so, which is super, super loud...

Dunno about your amps Greg, but if I completely dime either of my amps, the tone suffers...

But, any clips you do will be fine with me dude...

Thanks for this - you're having a much better time with attenuation than I did. I have a weber Micromass I think but it's not beefy enough for the big amps. It does sound very good within its depth, though. I really like the Attenuator at 6 normalized sound. The TV volume one seems like it took a pretty big low frequency hit, but it's still a usable sound.

I have a Marshall power brake - I told you all about blowing a fuse when I turned the knob on it (as if it were a break-before-make switch or something). Maybe I should just resolve to turn off the amp before I change the attenuation setting.

On a side note, I may have just scored some greenback speakers - I'll update soon

Back