The New Tone Thread

You're right. I've just upped the bass by 6db

Uploaded a few older tunes now. Played on my Washburn. Much heavier. Gonna try and recreate that tone cos I know I can't remember it!

Remix with the bass up by 6db
https://soundcloud.com/brother-number-one/dmb-punk

Old heavy grunge tune.
https://soundcloud.com/brother-number-one/smashing (Wow, haven't heard this in years - its got the longest pick scrape ever in it!)

Another heavy grunge tune - this was when I first discovered how to do edrums!
https://soundcloud.com/brother-number-one/sfm-mix

Last edited:
it is the thread for such things since it does relate to tone but it's not the thread for attacking someones' style of music..

I thought that the emoticons gave a clue that I was just trying to get a rise out of Greg by trolling him. This place is becoming way too serious. What happened to this site? We used to laugh and screw with each other and it was all in good fun. Are such things not allowed in this thread either?

I thought that the emoticons gave a clue that I was just trying to get a rise out of Greg by trolling him. This place is becoming way too serious. What happened to this site? We used to laugh and screw with each other and it was all in good fun. Are such things not allowed in this thread either?
ditto to Rami's response

I think we need a "Guitars and Basses" chat thread. His place has started going tits up since The Cave closed. What about an entire thread dedicated to telling Greg how shit the New York Dolls are?

I think we need a "Guitars and Basses" chat thread. His place has started going tits up since The Cave closed. What about an entire thread dedicated to telling Greg how shit the New York Dolls are?

Lol. The cave closing doesn't have anything to do with anything. The internet always goes through menstrual cycles. This site is no different.

Pussies...:mad:

I just wasted 15 minutes of my life reading the last 3 pages of this thread.:facepalm:

Step your game up guys..:spank:

oncor, note the use of smilies...:thumbs up:

No more being nasty on HR..:RTFM:

:guitar:

and gerg, that Custom aint even as good as the one I did.

Save yer money.. it will not turn green and in a few years they will reissue a custom retro green burst one that turns smoke black. Full circle.

Hmmm, whenever I post tones the thread turns into a handbag fight.

Anyway - this is a heavy tone - I'm trying to recapture the tone on some of my earlier more metal recordings and I have a problem. I've recorded a riff from one of my early songs with what I think is a similar tone on my three main guitars.

Guitar 1 - Ibanez RG - V8 Bridge Pickup
Guitar 2 - '78 Washburn Falcon - Bridge Pickup
Guitar 3 - Fender Telecaster FMT HH - SD Pearly Gates Bridge Pickup

I Ibanex is quite cutting but defined, the Washburn is a little meatier but holds it together pretty well. Unfortunately the tele is mushing out quite a lot and there's no clarity or note definition there.

The Fender and the Ibanez are both about 1.5cm longer than the Washburn.
The Ibanez and the Washburn both have the bridge pickup about 0.5m closer to the bridge than the Telecaster.

https://soundcloud.com/brother-number-one/pickup-test

My Telecaster is my main guitar, love playing it, feels great, sounds great for anything other than metal.
My Washburn is way to heavy (in weight not tone) and has Les Paul balance which I find quite uncomfortable. But there's just something about the heavy tone that I like.
My Ibanez is a lovely comfy guitar to play, bit heavy in the body and so fast to play - sings when doing metal lead - shit for anything but metal though. But it has a fucking Floyd Rose!

Basically do you think the difference in tone is mainly pickup related? Do you think there's a way I could get "best of all worlds" from one guitar? Or will I just have to resign myself to having to keep clean tidy strings on all three of them and making sure they all get an hour's play once a week.

Sorry about the long winded post but this has been bugging me for ages - I've only now got around to giving it some real thought though.

Clip is only 1:30 long.

Lol. Like Beetlejuice, any mention of the cave brings in the mutt. He misses it more than anyone. :laughings:

I already put that Custom out of my head. If I ever get one, I'm going for the vintage already-turned-green ones.

Anyway - this is a heavy tone - I'm trying to recapture the tone on some of my earlier more metal recordings and I have a problem. I've recorded a riff from one of my early songs with what I think is a similar tone on my three main guitars.

I Ibanex is quite cutting but defined, the Washburn is a little meatier but holds it together pretty well. Unfortunately the tele is mushing out quite a lot and there's no clarity or note definition there.

The Ibanez and the Washburn both have the bridge pickup about 0.5m closer to the bridge than the Telecaster.

My Telecaster is my main guitar, love playing it, feels great, sounds great for anything other than metal.
My Washburn is way to heavy (in weight not tone) and has Les Paul balance which I find quite uncomfortable. But there's just something about the heavy tone that I like.
My Ibanez is a lovely comfy guitar to play, bit heavy in the body and so fast to play - sings when doing metal lead - shit for anything but metal though. But it has a fucking Floyd Rose!

Basically do you think the difference in tone is mainly pickup related? Do you think there's a way I could get "best of all worlds" from one guitar? Or will I just have to resign myself to having to keep clean tidy strings on all three of them and making sure they all get an hour's play once a week.
While they're not terrible dude, they all have a scratchy, bright thing going on with 'em...I think part of what I'm hearing is just too much gain, I know it's a metal tone, but IMO if you back off the gain just a tad, you'll still have clarity...Needs some low end too, but again, it's not terrible dude...

IMHO, there's not a lot of difference in these 3 tones, if I had to pick, it'd be the Ibanez...Something I can say works with my Ibbby is a Duncan Custom Custon p'up...I threw that p'up in there a pretty good while back, & it just works with that guitar....I tried it in my MIM Strat, but it was shrill, & I didn't like it at all...I'm guessing it's the differences in the wood, dunno for sure....

Rolling back the tone knob a little might help with the scratchy sound dude, you'll just have to keep tweaking....

JDOOD: are all your tones samples from Amplitube? I may not have read as much i probably should have?

Greg. Would have been a great guitar man. Hefty price tag. Probably worth it.

I kind of want a tele in my quiver. My local shop has a mexican tele that when i play next to the American one the only real difference i noticed was physical weight. I might have a lucky one sitting in that shop. I want to rent both of them for a day and take them home to my set up and see if tonally they are much different. My guess is yes they are. But we shall see. I dig the tele sound. I could find a home for it in my life..

No tones this weekend either, my mom is here and my brother and his wife had their first child (daughter) so spent most of the weekend running around / visiting etc.

Oh yea, and i almost bought a 1968 Mercury M100 at a car auction. I was outbid unfortunately and the guy who out bid me came up shy of the reserve. It was never meant to be i guess.

Ah, maybe they just sound really different to me in the room. My tele just doesn't do heavy. I wasn't trying to create the best tone in the world there, just demonstrate the difference in tone which was really obvious in the room.

The tele just doesn't seem to be able to do a metal chug!

Annoying, they're all so different to me!

I'd agree with this statement. I have a finely tuned ear to sims cause it's all i have used for the last 5 or 6 years, and i am using old Sim technology.

I really like what you captured and dialed in. Sims have come a long way. these still all have their tell tale nuances of sim tone, but definitely not near as bad as some of the other examples i have heard people using. Good job.

I'd agree with this statement. I have a finely tuned ear to sims cause it's all i have used for the last 5 or 6 years, and i am using old Sim technology.

I really like what you captured and dialed in. Sims have come a long way. these still all have their tell tale nuances of sim tone, but definitely not near as bad as some of the other examples i have heard people using. Good job.
Cheers, I'm not even trying to get a great Sim tone. I'm just trying to demonstrate the difference between my guitars. I guess it just annoys me that my favourite guitar can't do metal!

Strangely thats actually through Gearbox which is an ancient Sim!

Cheers, I'm not even trying to get a great Sim tone. I'm just trying to demonstrate the difference between my guitars. I guess it just annoys me that my favourite guitar can't do metal!

Strangely thats actually through Gearbox which is an ancient Sim!

Bah, there are no rules to this stuff. I am sure you could make a tele metal if you really worked at it. Though personally there is probably a reason why you never many of them in metal videos.

Also i apologize. I have only been reading the last few pages with half an eye. I wasn't sure what you excerise was all about. I show myself to the door.

Back