The New Tone Thread

Cool man, that's pretty damn good for a speaker sim IMO, most of 'em I've heard sound like shit....Good tone dude...Again, I'm pretty impressed with that Palmer box...

Here's a tone from a song I'm working on right now, there's some 'verb on it, but no eq or anything else....
LP > Chupacabra > G12H > e609

Resonance: 0
Presence: 3
Bass: 7
Middle: 5
Treble: 5
Master: 6-7
Gain 2: 2
Gain 1: 4-5
Era: Modern
Bright 2: L
Bright 1: C
Focus: off

Chupacabraverb

Cool man, that's pretty damn good for a speaker sim IMO, most of 'em I've heard sound like shit....Good tone dude...Again, I'm pretty impressed with that Palmer box...

Here's a tone from a song I'm working on right now, there's some 'verb on it, but no eq or anything else....

Chupacabraverb

Nice! That Chupacabra is a sweet sounding amp.

Thanks man, I really like it a lot...If I had to pick one of my amps to keep out of the 4 I have, it'd definitely be the one....I'd been wanting a plexi type amp for a long time, & snagged it up while I could...It's not a true plexi (obviously) as it's a Ceriatone, & it's hot-rodded with tons of gain, but in "regular" mode, it does the old Marshall sound pretty good, to me anyway....

Here's another clip from the same song, basically same settings but with the gain bumped up a little & some delay thrown on it.....

ChupaDelay

That amp really nails the old Van Halen 1 plexi tone. It actually sounds more Marshally than some Marshalls that I've heard.

That amp really nails the old Van Halen 1 plexi tone. It actually sounds more Marshally than some Marshalls that I've heard.

I've got kinda close to that tone with this amp, the tone(s) are in there, but me getting 'em out of it, & into the daw is another thing though...

Bought it in October of last year, & I'm still going on about it dude, I really like it a lot...

DI & ReAmp Question

I get the concept and I know you need the Radial or some other box to resend the signal. What are you using to split off a dry signal when you do the initial tracking?

I get the concept and I know you need the Radial or some other box to resend the signal. What are you using to split off a dry signal when you do the initial tracking?
A DI box with multiple outputs should work. You go in with your instrument, send one output into your amp and one output into your interface.

The Chupacabra sounds great!

I relistened to all the tones I got the other day. The JCM 800 might actually have the nicest cleans out of the all the amps.

Here is another clip of a typical rock tone that I would use live. The chain is the same as before : LP > Legacy > PDI-03 > G-Major 2 > interface.

View attachment 93066
That palmer thing works pretty good. That's probably the best speaker sim I've heard yet.

Chupacabraverb

Thanks man, I really like it a lot...If I had to pick one of my amps to keep out of the 4 I have, it'd definitely be the one....I'd been wanting a plexi type amp for a long time, & snagged it up while I could...It's not a true plexi (obviously) as it's a Ceriatone, & it's hot-rodded with tons of gain, but in "regular" mode, it does the old Marshall sound pretty good, to me anyway....

Here's another clip from the same song, basically same settings but with the gain bumped up a little & some delay thrown on it.....

ChupaDelay

Those both sound very good to me. Nice fullness but with clarity. These have that thump and roundness and air quality to them though that sims don't really get yet.

But goddamn that delay. :laughings:

they just record direct and monitor with an amp sim plug.
That's exactly what I do. I get as close to the sound I think I want with a sim so I can have something with sustain and balls to play to, but I only record the direct signal. I then send that direct signal to be re-amped.

That palmer thing works pretty good. That's probably the best speaker sim I've heard yet.
Yeah man, I'm very impressed with the sound of that thing, it sounds pretty natural to me...

Those both sound very good to me. Nice fullness but with clarity. These have that thump and roundness and air quality to them though that sims don't really get yet.

But goddamn that delay. :laughings:
Thanks dude, these clips were recorded at decent volume, but not wall shaking loudness...I'm still learning how to dial in the amp too believe it or not after all this time...The rhythm clip is pretty low-gain compared to what I usually do, & I like it quite a bit...I know I keep going on & on about this amp, but I swear dude, this is the best amp I've ever played through...The G12H is getting better & better to my ears too, I'm starting to really like that speaker...

And yeah, that's just a scratch track I threw some delay on to work out some leads for that song, I prefer to have reverb/delay/something to keep it from being so dry sounding, so I guess I accomplished that...:D.

The way I do it Lou is to set up 2 tracks, one for the di, & one for the amp. I'm gonna be recording the extra/amp track eventually anyway, so I have a track template in Reaper that loads both of 'em up....

Track 1: Guitar > interface/daw > Line output 3 or 4 > Radial RMP (just plug into the interface like you're using an ampsim, but instead of hearing the output of this track through headphones/monitors, route the output to the Radial box from the extra output on the interface...)

Track 2: Mic > interface > daw (this track is just like plugging your guitar into the amp, & having a mic on it...)

You'll need to arm both tracks to record, & have monitoring on for both as well...If you don't have the monitoring on, the signal won't be sent to the Radial, & won't come out of the amp...

I actually lucked out when I bought this interface because of the extra line-outs on the back. I was using ampsims at the time, & never even though I'd switch to real amps. But when I did start using real amps, it was a welcome surprise...

The rhythm clip is pretty low-gain compared to what I usually do, & I like it quite a bit...

Yup, I noticed that. Although low gain on that amp is a lot of gain on some others. In any case, I like your lower gain clips a lot. They have good breakup but still retain a lot of note clarity.

The G12H is getting better & better to my ears too, I'm starting to really like that speaker...

My G12H30 was my favourite over my Greenback, before I went and swapped them out for higher power speakers. That's why I was keen on the Creamback, it being the G12H30's bigger brother.

Initially thoughts on Amplitube - it's a bag of dicks.

Doesn't work on Samsung galaxy S4 with iRig2 which wasn't clear and is a bit shit.
The Lead amp (supposed to be Marshall) is really buzzy and sounds like crap on the ipad.
Installed it on the Samsung galaxy S5 too. Got the same shit lead amp but.... for some mental reason it's an acoustic sim. And it's not that bad. Weird though.

Last edited:
Yup, I noticed that. Although low gain on that amp is a lot of gain on some others. In any case, I like your lower gain clips a lot. They have good breakup but still retain a lot of note clarity.
Thanks dude, like I've said a million times, I fuckin' love this amp, to me, it's just so bad-ass, & I'm really glad I snagged this thing up when I did...

Remember the conversation we had about low-volume dicking around with the 2 DSL's??? Guess what, the Ceriatone does it all better than any of the amps I have, I've just had to fuck with the switches/knobs to find the tone(s)...And to me, it sounds better at any volume than any of my amps...I know I keep going on & on about this amp, but I absolutely love this fucker....

The G12H is getting more & more use too, while it can be harsh in the top end, it's got a different mid sound than any of my other speakers...For me, it's a little finicky about the mic placement, but once you find it, it's a good sounding speaker...

I've been meaning to take the Chupa out of it's headshell, & mess with the pussy trimmer a little. I really haven't fucked with that at all, it's set about halfway. I've read that if you dial the trimmer in, it kills the grainy-ness, so I think I'm gonna fuck with it a little in the next day or so....I'll try to post some clips when I do...

Chupacabraverb

Tone sounds awesome man. I expect nothing less from you though. Why did you pick up that e609? Do you prefer it over the 57 for whatever reason? I am sure you have dicussed it prior to this and i apologize if you've explained more than once.

Am i crazy or is that verb/delay effect more noticeable in anyone else's right speaker? IS it me? or was that intended. IS your reverb applied in your DAW. Frig so many questions.

Tone sounds awesome man. I expect nothing less from you though. Why did you pick up that e609? Do you prefer it over the 57 for whatever reason? I am sure you have dicussed it prior to this and i apologize if you've explained more than once.
Thanks dude, the reason I bought the 609 is simply for a different mic choice dude. I wanted another dynamic mic I could use without having to worry about clipping at high volume (like the condenser mics I have, they can't handle the SPL's), that would sound good on it's own, or blended with another mic...As usual, I consulted with the Gerg, & it came down to the 609 or an i5...Eventually, I'm gonna pick up an i5 too...Just a little different sound dude, kinda like different speakers...

Am i crazy or is that verb/delay effect more noticeable in anyone else's right speaker? IS it me? or was that intended. IS your reverb applied in your DAW. Frig so many questions.

The reverb is added in the daw, & panned hard (using track sends...I used 2 different 'verbs on this, & send different tracks to 'em at different levels & pan the sends differently for some of the tracks...(IE: I wouldn't want as much 'verb on my kick drum as I would a guitar, for example)...I just centered the panning of the guitar, but didn't mess with the send's pan because I'm a lazy fucker...:).

I've noticed a lot of my favorite songs/guitar sounds will have the dry track on one side, with it's 'verb panned to the opposite side...Kinda like this, but the 'verb on Angus' guitar (which is more than likely a room mic blended in) is more prominent on the side it's panned to:

I'm glad you brought this up because listening to Angus' guitar at the beginning you can clearly hear there's a pre-delay on the 'verb/room sound, & the high end is rolled off quite a bit...Not that I'm gonna try to mimic this sound, but it gives me a better idea of how some of the guitar sounds I really like were created...Plus, I'd never really noticed how much room sound is on that guitar track...

An online buddy is sending me a set of TAD EL34B-STR's for free...Just guessing they should be here around next weekend, so I'm gonna wait until then to mess with the pussy trimmer in the Chupacabra like I mentioned...Dunno if they'll make any difference in the amp's tone or not, we'll see, plus I'll have a backup set of power tubes too...:).

An online buddy is sending me a set of TAD EL34B-STR's for free...Just guessing they should be here around next weekend, so I'm gonna wait until then to mess with the pussy trimmer in the Chupacabra like I mentioned...Dunno if they'll make any difference in the amp's tone or not, we'll see, plus I'll have a backup set of power tubes too...:).

Those are supposedly pretty decent tubes. I have some TAD power tubes in this 50w Plexi, and and TAD pre tubes bouncing around in other amps. Are they better or worse than anything else? Fuck if I know. But they don't make any bad noises. Well, one 12ax7 went microphonic, but fuck, all tubes are suspect these days.

Back