The New Tone Thread

The appreciation of the many different forms of rock music and the amount of technical ability required to execute each is paramount. There are many great “hit” songs that have very simple song structures and are relatively easy to learn or play; while other styles of rock music may demand greater discipline to master. In either case, neither should be diminished, discouraged or disrespected.
...and neither a borrower nor a lender be?
Neither patronizing nor condescending be.

Respect is earned.
Discouragement is sometimes necessary.
Some things diminish with time others with overexposure and still others as the fad passes.
Opinion is permitted, indeed encouraged along with the ability to support that opinion.
SOMETIMES, as in matters of taste &/or gut reaction there is no quantitative or "justifiable" evidence but that personal response.
If I prefer Slade to Yngwie Malmsteen or Arnold Schoenberg to Schubert and have been exposed to Malmsteen & Schubert enough to make an informed decision then that's my preference.
I don't need to be reminded that Slade were a pop band who were very good at what they did but were not virtuosos nor that Arnold worked in a very, very unpopular strand of music that even he abandoned in time.
An appreciation of these folk's technical ability is not required to enjoy, like or dislike their music.
Rather it may assist one appreciating the music's form, function or time frame without having to like it.
There are a great many pieces of music based on complex structures, virtuoso playing and/or/with/without impenetrable philosophy that remain rarely, if ever heard - particularly by the herd in my feed lot.

Ray, if you have a Yamaha kit similar to the one I just bought, it should be plug/play into your daw dude...I fully expected to have to jump through hoops to get mine working, but I was recording with Superior Drummer in just a matter of minutes...The only thing I really had to do was enable the kit as a midi device in Reaper's prefrences.....If you need any help, gimme a holler...

holy crap I'm drunk .... people kept buying me drinks and you kinda have to drink them or they're insulted .... oh man, I'm gonna be SO hungover for my 1pm marina gig ..... geez, lol

as for the music clips .... this particular thread is about tones and NOT technical expertise. The reason being that we want players of ALL abilities to feel free to post tones that they're working on here without having to be self conscious about their playing skills.

Repeatedly throughout the thread we've told people to not worry about their chops but just post tones.
There are awesome, amazing players in every genre of music.
But theoretically we're trying to focus on something else in this thread.

Minerman,
Mine's a no name. I'll spend some time trying to get my head around it then will holler for a hand - thanks for the offer.
Lt. Bob,
Succinct as always. Thanks for refocusing my wayward mind.

It seems as if all of this “inclusive & welcoming” talk of different “tones” is somewhat disingenuous at best. When ever any post is made that hints of metal, be it a video, conversation of a guitar or even a modern hi-gain tone….. It is attacked; and those attacks are usually somehow always justified as hate for, what is called “wankery”.

One can only imagine the amount of insults any forum member would endure if they dared to post their music/tones in a metal vein that show technique; when a simple video of a little girl calmly playing a very technically advanced style of rock guitar garners zero positive comment at all.

Yep, it pretty apparent that the common consensus here is all tones and related topics are welcome, except metal. Got it!

I've spent the evening in the studio actually recording tonight. I've gotta say, I'm still mining the same Marshall tone that you guys helped me dial in. It's the perfect tone for the songs that I've been working on. The other day I actually had to scroll back several pages in this thread to where I wrote down my settings so I could dial in that same tone!

Took the Tele into the shop today. It was still factory setup for whatever gauge of strings come on it (9s? 10s?) and I slapped 11s on it a few months ago. It progressively got more and more neck bow in it over the months, especially after being in storage while the construction was ongoing. I adjusted it twice, but it was too far out of whack for me to comfortably do it myself. If somebody's gotta really turn that truss rod, I'd rather the liability be on them rather than me! Dropped it off at the mom-n-pop guitar place today, should have it back on Monday.

WW, you've dropped two videos in with no explanation into a thread where we're trying to improve our guitar tones... why?
Yes, that girl is a very good guitarist and she has a good tone for that style of music. What was your point? Is that what you want to achieve? If so, show us where you're at and we'll give you a hand.

Yeah, people take the piss our of that sort of music for being all about showing off your technical ability and not just writing a song, so what? If you like it fine. Some people say that punk is for spotty kids that can't play and that grunge is for middle class teenagers with anger issues. I don't care, I still love the music and don't get offended.

Took the Tele into the shop today. It was still factory setup for whatever gauge of strings come on it (9s? 10s?) and I slapped 11s on it a few months ago. It progressively got more and more neck bow in it over the months, especially after being in storage while the construction was ongoing. I adjusted it twice, but it was too far out of whack for me to comfortably do it myself. If somebody's gotta really turn that truss rod, I'd rather the liability be on them rather than me! Dropped it off at the mom-n-pop guitar place today, should have it back on Monday.

At first truss rod adjustments might seem pretty scary, but they’re really not that difficult to do yourself once you learn the correct way to do it. There’re some excellent Fender factory videos on youtube that show neck adjustments & guitar set-up. Good luck!

Actually the booklet that came with my Tele has a bunch of terrific and helpful info about setting up the guitar. I'm a big fan of companies that actually put helpful extraneous information in their manuals. Fender's recommendations are all very measurement oriented, which a hack like me appreciates (and Muttley doesn't :D). I've done setups several times on my various guitars, but I'm just not very good at it. I get too fussy over it and end up frustrated. Over the years, I've just decided to let somebody that's done it several hundred (or thousand) times take care of my setups. What is an exercise in frustration for me is a snap for a guitar tech, and it's totally worth the relatively small fee to have a pro deal with it on my behalf.

I'm not much of a bassist (maybe I wouldn't admit to it if I was) so I just have a cheap bass to use for recording. Was a bastard to get the neck flat. Was going back and forth from it being bent like a banana or having the strings pressed against the neck.

Eventually I gave up. Hung it up and used a different bass. Oddly I went back to it over a year later and it was perfect and has been ever since. Weird. I keep having this paranoia that it's suddenly going to.completely fuck up on me.again but it hasn't for a couple of years now.

wavewarrior,
you need to READ a post before responding on such a defensive/insecure level.
I said she was good & that I didn't like that sort of music.
I LOVE metal. I have heaps of it but obviously not the stuff that doesn't appeal to me.
You definition of attack is interesting. mate, record something & post it in the MP3 Mixing Clinic.
In there you'll encounter humour, criticism, recommendations and statements about personal preference.taste/ears etc.
It's not a particularly hot kitchen but it's purpose is to assist/educate and give responses that address the good, the bad & the ugly from a technical (mixing), musical and lyrical aspects of a track posted and people who can't handle that will be easily wounded.
You're a little too precious mate.
Have you ever heard of "coping it sweet"?
I responded to a video of a good guitar payer playing well but in a style and tone I dislike.
I didn't use platitudes, euphemisms of bad language.
Perhaps you should prefix all posts with ONLY POSITIVE/SUPPORTIVE RESPONSES WELCOME.
If you want sycophancy and mutual admiration you'd best pop me onto you block list now.
Man, I'm often self aggrandizing and pompous but I rarely take my self seriously nor take offense more frequently than I shower.

wavewarrior,
you need to READ a post before responding on such a defensive/insecure level.
I said she was good & that I didn't like that sort of music.
I LOVE metal. I have heaps of it but obviously not the stuff that doesn't appeal to me.
You definition of attack is interesting. mate, record something & post it in the MP3 Mixing Clinic.
In there you'll encounter humour, criticism, recommendations and statements about personal preference.taste/ears etc.
It's not a particularly hot kitchen but it's purpose is to assist/educate and give responses that address the good, the bad & the ugly from a technical (mixing), musical and lyrical aspects of a track posted and people who can't handle that will be easily wounded.
You're a little too precious mate.
Have you ever heard of "coping it sweet"?
I responded to a video of a good guitar payer playing well but in a style and tone I dislike.
I didn't use platitudes, euphemisms of bad language.
Perhaps you should prefix all posts with ONLY POSITIVE/SUPPORTIVE RESPONSES WELCOME.
If you want sycophancy and mutual admiration you'd best pop me onto you block list now.
Man, I'm often self aggrandizing and pompous but I rarely take my self seriously nor take offense more frequently than I shower.

Who wrote this about a little girl in a video?

Wavewarrior,
sorry that vid is almost everything I dislike about rock music in one fell swoop. The only plus is that a young lass is playing. It's the sound of obsessively practising alone at home but in a clinical way and worrying about scales rather than the notes in the chord.

I rest my case, “metal derangement syndrome” in full bloom. :guitar:

WW, there's nothing against Metal in Ray's post - he's commenting that he doesn't like the peice of music, I don't either. It's just a highly technical piece for someone to show off their skills. It's not what you'd call a tune.

It's just a highly technical piece for someone to show off their skills. It's not what you'd call a tune.

Why do some feel they always need to talk down any guitarist’s technical abilities?

How can a song from a multi-platinum album, that is inspirational to thousands of people around the world, not be considered a tune?

Yes, the things Ray dislikes about rock music are in that video. A lot of the things I dislike about rock music are in that video too.

Why did you post it?

I'm not even talking down her technical abilities. she's clearly very good. I just dont find it tuneful.

Back