The New Tone Thread

OK, sure, I watched that - but watch this:

(edit - yes, the clash and the pistols are great, but punk rock is from america.)

The word "punk" doesn't really fit the UK thing. There was a lot of debate about the use of that label & McLaren, in particular, didn't want to use something he couldn't own - he promoted New Wave as the term to use from very early on. It was a term that didn't gain currency until "punk" 1st wave had changed.
This version of KOTJams really does show a difference between the two - other than the 6 years between the vid and the Pistols - both are raucous, slightly political, slightly faster than mid tempo and good fun. This version of KOTJ is jammy, long, guitar solo oriented and really a slightly sped up version of of something Big Brother & the Holding Co. would get to live.
having said the above - I enjoyed the vid & have had the Live MC5 Lp since the late 70's - yep a Johnny Come Lately!

OK, sure, I watched that - but watch this:

(edit - yes, the clash and the pistols are great, but punk rock is from america.)
I saw them live in 1969 I believe it was ...... maybe a year or so later than that.
I did not understand what I was seeing. :D

E-drumbs are here....un-boxed 'em, gonna set 'em up...I'll post a pic of 'em in a little while...the Gerg's gonna love these....lol....

Off until Monday, & I'm gonna make some fuckin' noise tomorrow & Sunday...I really haven't had time to do much this week except go to work, but I plan on getting loud tomorrow...:).

greg,
Your version is much more like it's meant to be. The min + jam on the Jam is fun but doesn't kick n bite like the single.
Lt. Bob,
I don't think many people in 69/70 had a clue either. I had the benefit of time & an LP to get my head around them.

E-drumbs are here....un-boxed 'em, gonna set 'em up...I'll post a pic of 'em in a little while...the Gerg's gonna love these....lol....

Off until Monday, & I'm gonna make some fuckin' noise tomorrow & Sunday...I really haven't had time to do much this week except go to work, but I plan on getting loud tomorrow...:).

Enjoy! Ugh, and enjoy that assembly process. It's exhausting. The manual is excellent for those drums. I'm a bit of a Yamaha fanboy, and one thing I love is their extremely helpful user manuals. My Yammie mixer has a great section on suggested ways to connect gear. My monitors came with basically a dissertation on speaker placement and room acoustics. And the e-kit manual was jam-packed with all of the info required to adjust every single parameter.

One thing you might have to do (not sure how superior drummer handles this) is to change the MIDI note sent by the hi-hat pad on the e-kit. I jacked around with it for weeks until I figured out what to do. I set it months ago so I can't remember exactly what MIDI note I changed it to. 18 maybe? Don't quote me on that. But it's basically the CC-controlled hi-hat instead of the open-or-closed one. It behaved weirdly until I changed it. That was with EZDrummer though. But SSD, EZD, and SD2 all seem to agree with whatever MIDI note I'm using now.

Well, got the e-drumbs set up, connected, & was actually recording in about 5 mins after getting 'em set up...Really simple to be honest...They're pretty quiet in the room too, so I'm pretty happy with 'em so far...I'll probably get another drum throne though, the cheap-o that came with 'em hurts my ass...:laughings:.

And, I realize I've got a long way to go playing the drums...My hat's off to you guys like Greg that play so fuckin' good...It's not that I'm really terrible considering it's been at least 15 years since I've sat behind a kit at all, & I was never a drummer to start with, I'll just have to practice & get better at it...

The pads are velocity sensitive & seem to trigger the samples like they should, no problems at all so far, other than my playing...

Here's a pic of 'em, & I'm gonna hit the bed guys...

Tomorrow is loud-ass guitar day, been waiting all week for it, I can play a couple hours before work, I just really haven't had much time to be honest...:D.

Looking good mate. Looking forward to hearing how they sound. Will be curious to know how good a guitarist can make them sound!

The module with the kit I got only has USB, Greg, but that's basically the way you record with 'em....I hook a USB cable up to my computer, & Reaper (or whatever daw you use) sees it as a midi input....That's basically it dude...You can have the different pads trigger totally different sounds if you want...It's pretty simple really, this kit was plug-n-play...

I can record the module's internal sounds, but it would only be a stereo track, I can't seperate the different kit pieces with this module using it's internal sounds....Some of the higher-end modules allow this, but I really wasn't interested in that, I just wanted to be able to bang out my own midi, without having to spend hours & hours programming like I've done for years...I will still have to go in & tweak the midi, but it won't be as much as I was doing before...I did a lot of research before I pulled the trigger on these things, & there are some really, really nice e-kits out there, but they're also really, really expensive...There are kits that have modules you can actually load Superior Drummer (or whatever) samples into, & send them to your computer for recording, or to use in a live situation, but again, those are expensive as hell, & would be totally useless for someone like me...

The kit I bought is basically a big midi keyboard with big fuckin' keys that I can swarp with drumsticks for veloctiy senstive triggering...lol..I tried to use my keyboard to do this many, many times (playing with my fingers), but it just didn't work for me..So far, without even adjusting any of the settings in the module (pad sensitivity, changing midi note numbers, etc) this kit seems to do pretty good, & I didn't spend a small fortune for 'em, so overall, I'm happy...I just need to practice on my playing...:).

gonna build a tele ..... have never had one so I'm gonna build one .... plan is to specifically go for that traditional tele sound that not even all teles get.

Not looking for advice ...... don't need it ..... won't pay any attention to it ..... just letting ya'll know.

I have decided what color it will be though ..... and maple fretboard is decided also.
I'll go for a 3 saddle compensated bridge because I don't think you can really get the classic tele sound with a 6 saddle bridge.
prolly be a month or so since I have company coming to spend a week with us and I have to un-pigsty the house.

But it's gonna be a tele ..... I imagine 4 or 5 hours work while watching tv ..... they're just a plank with stuff bolted to it! :D

Cool Bob, I had a '93 or '94 USA Fender Tele Plus II with Lace Sensor p'ups, & loved that guitar...I sold it (along with all my other gear) when I was going through some really, really rough times...Wish I had it (and all the other gear I sold) back now, but...It had a 3-way switch for the bridge p'up, either coil seperate, or both as a humbucker...Here's a pic of one just like the one I had, same color, exact same guitar...(sorry for the big pic guys)...

100_2295.jpg

Keep us posted/updated on the build dude, looking forward to the progress & of course, the finished guitar!!!!

Shit, that's a nice guitar. Bit like mine but more authentic looking. Mine looks a bit too much like a PRS.

Good one Lt Bob, Fender over tweaked to make more sales. Simple standard Tele is quite nice.
I have a Tele copy - REALLY cheap: &80 delivered! I had a tax rebate and wanted to spend a little bit on m'self, saw the add and wondered what it's be like for such little money. I
It's pretty much what you'd expect for the $s. Finish of everything was poor and the frets didn't so much need dressing so much as a jumbo file to cut them back enough to stop sawing my fingers off when I slid my hand along the neck.
There's alos one string that is louder than the others but I'm slowly working on that. It does, however, sound more like a Tele than my other guitars, has the old basic set of gear - the bridge you mentioned, selector switch with out of phase inbetweenness etc. etc. I hope you show pics and samples when done.
Minerman,
I have one similar. I haven't set up the midi yet - I hate midi and am resistant but the wife bought the thing for me so I have to work out how to use it and show her some net result of its use at some stage. At the moment it is good for dropping in cymbals etc. I have recorded stereo playing along with a simple drum machine track. I'd love to blame latency but I know the lag between me and the drum machine isn't latency it's slow responses and lack of skill.
Wavewarrior,
sorry that vid is almost everything I dislike about rock music in one fell swoop. The only plus is that a young lass is playing. It's the sound of obsessively practising alone at home but in a clinical way and worrying about scales rather than the notes in the chord. The best analogy I can come up with is trendy modern cuisine - looks kind of impressive on the plate but is ultimately unsatisfying.

Wavewarrior,
sorry that vid is almost everything I dislike about rock music in one fell swoop. The only plus is that a young lass is playing. It's the sound of obsessively practising alone at home but in a clinical way and worrying about scales rather than the notes in the chord. The best analogy I can come up with is trendy modern cuisine - looks kind of impressive on the plate but is ultimately unsatisfying.

The appreciation of the many different forms of rock music and the amount of technical ability required to execute each is paramount. There are many great “hit” songs that have very simple song structures and are relatively easy to learn or play; while other styles of rock music may demand greater discipline to master. In either case, neither should be diminished, discouraged or disrespected.

Back