The New Tone Thread

Thanks for listening guys, like I mentioned, the last clip was pretty shitty, I really didn't have time to do much, other than throw the mics up, & hit record...I should be able to make some time in the morning though, I'm pretty intrigued about the G12H & AC-DC's tones...Like all my attempts, I would just like to get in the ballpark, as I'll still sound like me regardless....

Might've scored a used Audix i5 tonight too, I'll find out in the next day or so...$40 + $10 shipping, it looks brand new, even has the original box & mic clip (the clip is still in the plastic bag btw...)....Pretty good deal, if it comes through, if not, I've still got all this shit I've been hoarding up....lol...

Okay tonedicks, I think I've made an earth-shattering decision......while knowing nothing about anything, I think I wanna build my own amp. :facepalm:

I'm doing a little more work on my 2204, and I'm thinking, "maybe I can do this". :facepalm:

So....I'm considering my options. What do I wanna build? Obviously I can't design my own amp. It's gotta be some kind of kit. But I'm thinking hand-wired turret board, pick my own shit, really good transformers, easy to mod, etc. Maybe add some cool features like external bias pot/test points, maybe fx loop, blah blah. I'm thinking a 50w Plexi-style with PPIMV. That's the only flavor I'd want that I don't have.

Okay tonedicks, I think I've made an earth-shattering decision......while knowing nothing about anything, I think I wanna build my own amp. :facepalm:

I'm doing a little more work on my 2204, and I'm thinking, "maybe I can do this". :facepalm:

So....I'm considering my options. What do I wanna build? Obviously I can't design my own amp. It's gotta be some kind of kit. But I'm thinking hand-wired turret board, pick my own shit, really good transformers, easy to mod, etc. Maybe add some cool features like external bias pot/test points, maybe fx loop, blah blah. I'm thinking a 50w Plexi-style with PPIMV. That's the only flavor I'd want that I don't have.

The kit I built was pretty easy (fiddly in places, but just took a few days of patience) - that circuit was quite complex, with its different power modes and power scaling. Maybe a straight plexi design would be rather simpler, but then adding those other bits you mention will increase complexity again. This is the one I built: Amp Maker: Guitar amp kits and parts :: Guitar amp kits :: P1800 plexi amp Obviously, this is a UK company, so you're unlikely to use them, but you might get some ideas from this site as to what you're after.

It's a fun project to do and it's a nice feeling when you switch it on and the guitar starts roaring out of the speakers. I don't really know anything about amp design, I just followed the kit instructions, but I'll be happy to help wherever I can. I'm guessing you can work a soldering iron, so you probably don't need much help anyway!

The kit I built was pretty easy (fiddly in places, but just took a few days of patience) - that circuit was quite complex, with its different power modes and power scaling. Maybe a straight plexi design would be rather simpler, but then adding those other bits you mention will increase complexity again. This is the one I built: Amp Maker: Guitar amp kits and parts :: Guitar amp kits :: P1800 plexi amp Obviously, this is a UK company, so you're unlikely to use them, but you might get some ideas from this site as to what you're after.

It's a fun project to do and it's a nice feeling when you switch it on and the guitar starts roaring out of the speakers. I don't really know anything about amp design, I just followed the kit instructions, but I'll be happy to help wherever I can. I'm guessing you can work a soldering iron, so you probably don't need much help anyway!

Yup, a kit like that would be fine, except I want a regular ol 1987 circuit. I need the wattage as I'd use this thing all the time live and for recording........unless it sucks. I'd wanna wire up my own board and stuff. Start with as bare empty chassis. I'd like to build it with top-notch everything.....then jam my low-notch playing through it.

I think that'd be awesome!

I've long meant to do one and haven't ........ not because I worry about being able to do it but just no money ..... it's still on the 'to do' list though.

I've watched you get your feet wet with the electronics here and it's clear to me you'll have zero problem doing it.
First ..... it's not any harder, if as hard, as building a racing engine. Just like that kind of work, the key is prep .... making sure you have it all worked out in advance and you have that skill down pat.
So do your prep correctly and it'll be smooth sailing ...... also make sure you have the right tools ... just like working on an engine ..... get a decent soldering station, meter etc.
Practice your soldering a bit and build that sucker!

Yup, I think it's gonna happen. I told the wife, she said "do it if you want", so that's that!

I need to do a lot of homework though. It's gonna have to be a kit build. I can't design my own circuit from scratch. Why would I when the perfect circuits have already been done? I can follow directions though, I can reference pictures, I can solder, but I need to brush up on reading schematics. I want to know why this cap does this, and this value resistor does that. I think for a first build I'm just gonna build a basic bone stock 69-70 spec 50w Plexi with good parts. It's probably the most popular clone scheme around and there is a shitload of info on that circuit. Any problems I run into should be easy to troubleshoot. If I can get that working, then I'll start modding to fine tune it.

This don't look so bad.
Plexi50LeadCeriatone_270208.jpg

yeah, Ceriatone is good stuff ..... they have some interesting kits at Weber too.

And really ..... looking at that pic ...... hell, for a turret build everything you need is right in that pic. I imagine a kit would bundle up some of the parts for a bit of savings moneywise

yeah, Ceriatone is good stuff ..... they have some interesting kits at Weber too.

And really ..... looking at that pic ...... hell, for a turret build everything you need is right in that pic. I imagine a kit would bundle up some of the parts for a bit of savings moneywise

I'm not gonna use Ceriatone. Well I mean I'll use a basic layout like that, but I'm seriously wanting to do it from scratch. There is so much info out there, even just from a pic like that you can get it close. Like I'll buy an empty chassis and blank turret board and go to town on that shit. You know, fancy Sozo caps and all that crap. Maybe. I'd like to do it like that anyway. I don't wanna buy everything all assembled and then just hook a few wires up. I wanna build it. Really build it. That bitch will be mine, all mine, warts and all.

I'm not gonna use Ceriatone. Well I mean I'll use a basic layout like that, but I'm seriously wanting to do it from scratch. There is so much info out there, even just from a pic like that you can get it close. Like I'll buy an empty chassis and blank turret board and go to town on that shit. You know, fancy Sozo caps and all that crap. Maybe. I'd like to do it like that anyway. I don't wanna buy everything all assembled and then just hook a few wires up. I wanna build it. Really build it. That bitch will be mine, all mine, warts and all.
I gotcha ..... it will be the only one in the world ...... like my Stinnett is ..... there's something cool about having the only one of something.

When I do an amp, on the cabinet instead of piping around the edges I'm gonna use el-wire.
I'm getting close to building a cab for that V30 I got from you and I'll put some el-wire on that too.

I gotcha ..... it will be the only one in the world ...... like my Stinnett is ..... there's something cool about having the only one of something.

When I do an amp, on the cabinet instead of piping around the edges I'm gonna use el-wire.
I'm getting close to building a cab for that V30 I got from you and I'll put some el-wire on that too.

Haha that sounds awesome. :D

You'll have no trouble Greg.
You're methodical, thorough and focussed when you do stuff.
Then you add your skills set.
What else is needed?
You don't take short cuts either & that is really important.
Hey, if you wanna whet your appetite on a kit go ahead.
Then sell it to me.

You'll have no trouble Greg.
You're methodical, thorough and focussed when you do stuff.
Then you add your skills set.
What else is needed?
You don't take short cuts either & that is really important.
Hey, if you wanna whet your appetite on a kit go ahead.
Then sell it to me.

Lol thanks Ray. I have no doubt I could stick the parts together. I'm no electrical engineer though. Getting the wiring routed correctly, keeping signal and power leads separate and at 90 degrees and all that shit will be the hard part. But there are a bout a trillion pics on the net to reference, so with patience I think I can do it. My biggest worry is troubleshooting the inevitable problems that will arise. But I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. The wheels are in motion....I can potentially make this thing however I want it to be.

Haunt: Dude, I was gonna reply about your pedals, you should've left 'em here....My neighbor had a couple of those back in the 80's, the Small Stone & Memory Man, I borrowed 'em & ran 'em through my Marshall 12w Micro Stack...Eventually, I started playing in his band a couple/few months after.... Nothing wrong with posting here dude, this thread is all about tone.....Post up some clips if you can...

Ok, so I've been messing with the DSL100 & the new speakers/mic today, & have to say, it sounds pretty damn good in the room...Getting those sounds recorded is another thing though...lol...I've mentioned this before, but the DSL100 is LOOOOUD, even in the 50w mode, it's a loud-ass fuckin' amp....Sounds pretty good though, I've been using the Chupa mostly since I got it, but there are some great tones in the DSL100...

Gonna render some clips I made, & I'll post 'em up....Got another date with the new vaj tonight too, so it looks to be like a good weekend for the Minermaniac....lol....

Clips are comin'....:D.

Here's a few clips with the DSL100 running through the new speakers...I have to say, as much as I like the Chupacabra, the DSL100 is still a really good amp....Would be a great gigging amp IMO....

Signal chain:
LP > DSL100 > G12H > '57/e609

50w mode,
Green Crunch
Resonance: 0
Presence: 10
Bass: 2
Mid: 5
Treble: 8
Vol: 4
Gain: 10

full blend on the 2 mics

Green Crunch

Signal chain:
LP > DSL100 > G12H > '57/e609

50w mode
Red OD 1
Resonance: 5
Presence: 8
Bass: 7
Mid: 7
Treble: 4
Vol: 3-4
Gain: 5

'57 is -5 db lower

Red OD1

Signal chain:
LP > DSL100 > G12-65 > '57/e609

100 w mode
Red OD 1
Resonance: 0
Presence: 8
Bass: 2-3
Mid: 4
Treble: 3-4
Vol: 4
Gain: 4

The '57 is -5 db lower than the e609...I added some reverb & fx in the daw, trying to get the processed 80's hair metal sound...lol

80's metal attempt

Finally listening to Gerg's advice about lowering the bass/resonance when the amp's volume is up, & it seems to help a lot...

Lemme know what u think, gotta run the new vaj's waiting....:D.

Heh, I went back & reread a bunch of thread pages & saw just about every1 posting clips and settings, no photos...while I posted photos...no clips & settings. :shrug:

Cant recall seeing a single pic of pedal boards so I thought there might be a separate thread devoted to it, and this was more axes/amps territory. Got to overthinking things and deleted before searching...but had the foresight to keep the info in a text file, to repost later. Couldn't find a better place, database error'd when I attempted searching. Guess I'll repost here.

Disclaimer/excuses/caveat: I'm in the middle of a gear reshuffling, rewiring and general setup revision. Had water find its way inside due to a plugged downspout...fortunately nothing damaged because I try to plan for such a scenario. Far as the lack of clips go...I like leaving something to the imagination to pique curiosity, until ready to play the cards I've been dealt. Also helps insulate from better connected, better players than myself who might be looking to co-opt some *new* ideas and spoil what I do. As far as I know, nobody else is currently guitaring the way that I guitar. For now. Anyway, here's the post as it was:

1st post in this thread! Rather than a catchup novel....here are some short stories to hit the ground running:

Here's my most recent guitar pedal "board" from about 2 weeks ago

'66 Mosrite Fuzzrite v1 > Cornell 1st Fuzz > Effectrode phase-O-matic deluxe > '94 Fulltone Deja Vibe > dual TB switch ('78 DMM + '80 DMM)
That goes into a Van Amps Reverbamate (not pictured)

And I took this pic last weekend after getting an Anvil case, to conceptualize building a board for it.
Main intent is for it to be a bass board that also rules with guitar and...anything really :D

Still aint wired but it will probably go
'81 v6 Muff > '77 v2 Small Stone > LFLJ > Collins Harmonic Percolator > Dr Scientist BitQuest > Dr Scientist ILF Day Delay

Amps, drivers, axes to come.
Amp teasers: '67 Selmer, ~71 Oliver, '74 Fender, ~early 60s Altec

Far as the lack of clips go...I like leaving something to the imagination to pique curiosity, until ready to play the cards I've been dealt. Also helps insulate from better connected, better players than myself who might be looking to co-opt some *new* ideas and spoil what I do. As far as I know, nobody else is currently guitaring the way that I guitar. For now.

Lol. How are you "guitaring" that's so special and unique that you think someone would steal it? I only ask because I'm naturally skeptical. Lots of people think they are thinking outside of the box when they are actually just making regular old noise.

Back