The New Tone Thread

Well, at the picnic, they didn't give us as much $$$ as last year, seems it's less & less every year, but that's ok, I'll take anything they give away....Came out with $250 today....it's getting closer, but, I'm gonna have to buy some tires for my Jeep pretty soon, so part of the $$$ I got today will most likely go toward tires....Fuck, they're as slick as a baby's ass...hahahaha!!! Gotta have 'em as it gets pretty damn rough in the winter around here, & especially where I travel to work & back, it snows there in October (seriously, last year we got an inch of snow before Halloween on the mountain...)...No biggie, I'll get the Chupa come hell or high water...:).

On the Valvestate amps, I had a 100w full stack back around '99 or so, the cabs are small like the MG series, & have low-end Celestion speakers in 'em...I had the 3-channel head, it had a single 12ax7 tube for the pre-amp, a SS power section, fx loop, reverb, & came with a footswitch to change channels (clean/od1/od2)....It wasn't a bad amp, but doesn't compare to an all-tube amp of course...To me, it sounded it's best with the master on either of the channels at about 5-6, anything over that, & like all SS amps, it got mushy & lost definition...Those cabs were so light, I could carry one in each hand....IIRC, I paid like $1200-1300 for the whole stack....I've got pics of it somewhere on stage with the band I was in...

Gonna go get a shower, & try another date tonight....LOL...Hope this one doesn't turn out like the junkie I went out with last time...She seems ok, but you never know....

Been playing with my new SG Special 70s Tribute. That's a long title. Slapped some new strings on it. I'm really liking this thing. This has got to be the best 350 dollar guitar on the planet. :D

Plugged it into the Plexi, sounds great to me. Plays really nice for what I do. The LSU game is getting started so here's a silly clip.

SG Special 70s Tribute, bridge minihumbucker, vol and tone on 10
Marshall Plexi 1959 SLP
Presence - 6
Bass - 8
Mid - 5
Treb - 4
Vol 1 - 5
Vol 2 - 0
High input 1 only
PPIMV cranked
1960A 4x12 Greenback - SM57 dustcap/cone - Audix i5 edge
Both mics on axis, on grill, full blend

Geaux Tigers!

Lovin' the feedback just waiting in the wings. Geaux Gerg!
Ha, thanks Lou. LSU is looking rough right now, but damn the team they're playing is even worse.

Yeah my SG is the same model (I think). I paid $650 on a blem/return through MF when they first came out. Mine has P90s.
When I found out these minihums use the same route as a P-90, I was all giddy. From pics I've seen, the body is even drilled for P-90s as well. A swap would be an easy mod. A P-90 SG has always been on my want list. But shit, it's only been one day but I'm pleasantly surprised with the minihums so far. They have really nice bite and clarity but with some of the thickness and all of the noiseless operation of traditional humbuckers. And they're not all high output metal sounding. Big win for the minihums. :)

mini humbuckers are the shit IMO.

I've ALWAYS wanted a goltop with the minis.

And my Firebirds had minis and they were awesome sounding ...... I like 'em. They have their own sound.

However, were I to buy an expensive-ish git it'd be the Hallmark. But a goldtop w/mini's is right up there on my covet list.

Nice Greg, controlled feedback dude....really nice....When you say the PPIMV is cranked, that's with the amp running full-tilt, no volume reduction, right???? Nice clip man, & nice score on the SG...

I want the seymour duncan dave mustaine set of active blackout's,money being no option. They're actually not that HOT. they're based on the jeff Beck bridge and the jazz neck. they're more about clarity than explosive gain. they're more about picking up every of every little bit interaction with the strings, same ohm spec as the JB set too.. I don't know much about micro henries, in guitars, I do as it relates to battery current drain in my quadcopter, that's different though. maybe someone will explain it to me ;) Anyway I've spent so much on new Fenders and Squiers, that I'm not sure I can afford the pickups I want this year if I want to get my amp (It's the yamaha THR10X, But trust me , in the area in live in I can't get away with anything bigger) and being the high output combo modeller of the bunch, It was plenty loud enough in the store. Actually loud enough to rehearse with in most band friendly places, unless you're rehearsing at wembley stadium. Oh yeah and the Lollar and Creamery REAL wide range humbuckers really impressed me, if there are any gold john 5 tele's left next year when i'm back in the money I may get one and fit it with a set., might even get a lower end G&L tele and do that, cause you never see any here in oz.

Nice Greg, controlled feedback dude....really nice....When you say the PPIMV is cranked, that's with the amp running full-tilt, no volume reduction, right???? Nice clip man, & nice score on the SG...

Thanks dude. Yeah, "PPIMV cranked" means it's out of the circuit and the amp is functioning in it's natural state.

I had a bash with the Guyatone Mosrite copy on the right of the ppicture this evening. I hadn't played anything with those "gold" pickups before.
It's very light & fun to play, low action, smooth neck but the 1st fret sticks out a tiny bit on the under side. It's rounded off & doesn't cut but it's an odd bump & would annoy after 10mins I reckon.
The tone pot turns in reverse to the volume pot!!!
Vol at full & tone at full (all treble) on the guitar and ...
The bridge pu is quite loud & drove my little 5w valve amp into break up quite nicely with the vol set at 10 o'clock. The neck pick up is very rounded in tone. When I have the two PUs engaged the volume drops significantly - must be a wiring problem (I assume). I really like the scalloping or profile around the guitar. It reminds me of my original SG/EB copy bass - possibly the same factory - def the same router setting. Having foound the guitar worked so well with my Kustom Defender I didn't bother with the Valvestate. I will try it through the Superbass tomorrow though (10pm at present).
I like the "gold foil"? pickups - the stories seem to be true.

Last edited:
I had a bash with the Guyatone Mosrite copy on the right of the ppicture this evening. I hadn't played anything with those "gold" pickups before.
It's very light & fun to play, low action, smooth neck but the 1st fret sticks out a tiny bit on the under side. It's rounded off & doesn't cut but it's an odd bump & would annoy after 10mins I reckon.
The tone pot turns in reverse to the volume pot!!!
Vol at full & tone at full (all treble) on the guitar and ...
The bridge pu is quite loud & drove my little 5w valve amp into break up quite nicely with the vol set at 10 o'clock. The neck pick up is very rounded in tone. When I have the two PUs engaged the volume drops significantly - must be a wiring problem (I assume). I really like the scalloping or profile around the guitar. It reminds me of my original SG/EB copy bass - possibly the same factory - def the same router setting. Having foound the guitar worked so well with my Kustom Defender I didn't bother with the Valvestate. I will try it through the Superbass tomorrow though (10pm at present).
I like the "gold foil"? pickups - the stories seem to be true.

But Ray, where's the clips? Wanna hear it!

That might be a lefty tone pot. They make pots that turn the other way for left handed guitars. Kind of rare and odd to find one on a rightie.

But Ray, where's the clips? Wanna hear it!

That might be a lefty tone pot. They make pots that turn the other way for left handed guitars. Kind of rare and odd to find one on a rightie.
lol ...... no, you just wire the other side of the three posts ..... you can wire any pot to work in reverse.

Yeah that's one there. I always just accepted it without thinking about it. Sure, left handed guitar, pot goes backwards, whatever. With all the times I've wired my own pots and switches backwards it should have clicked. I'm not a lefty and don't even think about life as a left hander.

I'll record some clips in a couple of hours. Waiting on a delivery at present - nothing exciting. The wife has done all the xmas shopping on line & somestuff is coming today. She's done ALL 2014's xmas shopping! She had a couple of manic days last week - gets a lot done but can be dangerous.

That sounds cool Greg, but why does it need power tubes....Red flag for me dude....I'm just paranoid about buying a used amp like that...

Nevermind, just re-read the listing, & he said it'd been checked over....but still dude...I dunno...LOL...That's a steal really though man...

I've got my heart set on the plexi/super lead too man, the JVM is on the list, but the hot-rodded plexi is something I've wanted for years...

Last edited:
This place seems to sell them. Wonder what the difference is, then?!

CTS Left Handed 250K Audio Pot | Allparts.com
wow ...... well, that one seems to only have two tabs to solder to although the image seems to have a 'ghost' tab that you can kinda see.

But if it only has two tabs then it would be either right or left handed but virtually all pots I've seen have three and you solder the middle one to ground and use one of the others for hot and those can go either way depending on which tab you use.
I haven't really seen two-tab pots so I find that kinda weird.

Last edited:
Back