The New Tone Thread

I see. I didn't know the speaker is offset.

If you ever want to upgrade, I have a beautifully broken in 8 ohm Vintage 30 for sale. It came brand new in a 2x12 I don't have anymore, that's the only cab it's ever been in, and I'm the only guy to run any sound through it. It's essentially brand new....but broken in with loud ass Marshall goodness. :D

Oh, by the way....

I saw BB King last night. I'm not a blues fan, not modern blues anyway, but I am a fan of living legends. I've never seen BB King before. Got a free ticket from a photographer friend who was shooting the show, so I went. His backing band was great. Dare I say his rhythm guitarist was better than he was?

Anyway, I generally don't get starstruck by anyone or anything, but I gotta admit that when he finally came out and plopped his old ass in that chair and grabbed "Lucille" off the stand, I genuinely got the feeling that I was in the presence of greatness. No lie.

The show itself was meh. It was okay. To my blues inexperienced ears, Mr BB did way too much bullshitting and not enough playing, but he is like 298 years old, so I give him a pass. He did seem to lose the pretty large and diverse crowd for a while there. I'd feel pretty bad if I had paid the 100 bucks or whatever for that ticket. But for free, it was cool to see a living legend. His guitar tone was pure raunchy badass. His voice was fantastic. When he played, it was great. He just didn't do it enough for me. I'm glad I got to see him though.

I went and seen BB with my wife not too long ago, and I did pay the $100 per tic! and while agree that BB didn't play enough and B.S.'d too much, it was well worth the price to see the legend in action. At almost 100 years, the dude sounds great, wish I was 1/100th as good as BB.

I had a couple of minutes tonight, so I did some twanking. Here is a clip (sorry for the silence at the end, I was in a hurry and I forgot to edit it out).

There are a few changes, but the biggest ones were a large boost to the guitar volume, and a max boost to the guitar tone. That required a few changes in the amp. Here are the particulars

Guitar - Les Paul Traditional (57 Classic pickup). Bridge pickup.
The mic - SM57, straight on, on grill, quarter inch outside dustcap.
The amp is my Marshall DSL40C

Crunch Channel
Guitar Volume - 7.5
Guitar Tone - 10
Amp Gain - 4
Amp Volume - 7
Treble - 3
Mid - 8
Bass - 10
Presence - 4
Resonance - 10

It still needs work. It's a bit scratchy. But it's getting closer to what I want. Greg - your suggestions were extremely helpful.

Yes I think that is better. Glad that I could help.

I think I get the sound you're going for. You're almost getting the raw Marshall "kerrang" sound.

It's a little bit dark and woofy now. Not much, just a little. Since you moved the mic out, it's gonna darken up a little, so now you can reel in the resonance, mids, and lows some for more clarity.

Just humor me here since I don't have that exact amp, but if you get a chance and wanna give it a try, try these settings...
Bass - 5-7
Mid - 4-5
Treb - 5-6
Resonance - 4
Presence - 4-5
Guitar vol and tone full power

yep ..... I like triple nipples' sound ...... I'd want a bit more mids in there myself .... get a little more of that Marshall 'BONK' that I like but that's a pretty good sound as is.

Hey guys.....
Droppin' in after work, staying over with the new girlfriend...:D Can't listen until the mornin', got things to do....;)

I can say I've re-tracked the bass to a couple of the album's songs, but haven't did anything with the guitars yet, but I'll get around to it....A couple more weeks & I get a whole week off, & I plan on catching up here, plus finishing up a few of those songs.....May be moving before too long, & will have high-speed 'net again, so I'll be able to hang out like before....right now, I'm so far back in the boonies, can't even get a signal for dish 'net...LOL....

Anyway, gonna get off here & have a little fun, I'll listen & comment on the toans in the morning....

Life's good....:D

yep ..... I like triple nipples' sound ...... I'd want a bit more mids in there myself .... get a little more of that Marshall 'BONK' that I like but that's a pretty good sound as is.

Yup, but look at his resonance and bass - they're both dimed - and the mids are already pretty high. All that low end might be clouding out the mids. I think reducing some of that low end will open up the sound and let both the BONK! and the KERRANG! shine through. :D

Hows that for tone diagnostics? You need more bonk and kerrang. :D

Thanks once more guys. Greg - I should have some time tonight. So I'll do the same little sample with those settings. I'll leave the mic where it is. When I dimed the tone on the guitar, it got rid of the sizzle that I hated. However, when I also had the guitar volume dimed, it was *super* scratchy. That's why I backed off the guitar volume and maxed the resonance and bass. But hey, this is fun and I like experimenting. So, I'll dial up those settings and post it tonight. Then I'll take your settings, bump the mid a couple of ticks for Lt. and put that up. See what you like best.

You know what this mean tho... That song you just did drums on? Gonna need a guitar retrack now. Wouldn't be a Trip-O-Tune without about 20 guitar retracks. Collect 'em all!!! :)

Cool man. I aint saying those settings are the definitive answer, just give it a shot. I'm curious how it will sound compared to what you've done already.

Hows that for tone diagnostics? You need more bonk and kerrang. :D
as always Greg gets technical!
:laughings:

Yeah you're right ..... I actually didn't even look at his settings ...... pulling down the low end is gonna let the mids shine more and free up a bit of power too.

Back again guys....

Greg: Cool clips man, just like always, lots of definition/clarity, but with the bite that I love in your clips man....The new SG sounds great to me, especially the last part when it's full-on....To me, it's a little more defined than the LP with the gain up, which would explain Angus' sound a little better to me (if he uses that guitar instead of the old ones he's had for all these years....).....

TripleM: Nice man, your DSL-40 sounds really good man, & to be honest, sounds remarkably similar to my 1w DSL head....The red/od channel is thin like Greg mentioned....Congrats on the new amp.....There's a wealth of knowledge here dude, I've learned tons about guitar tones from the guys here, just read through the thread, & if you can't find what you wanna know, just ask, these guys here will help ya, trust me, my tones have improved 100x from when I first started the real amp thing....

Feels great to be listening to clips here again, I'm gonna have to buy a memory card so I can upload some of my shitty tones to let you guys hear 'em....If I ever get time to record any that is....Things are starting to settle down a little more for me, & again, I'll be moving before too much longer, so I'll be able to hang out here everyday like before....

Ok guys, last post 'til Saturday night, gotta work every Saturday until vacation, but the $$$ will come in handy.....Just dropping in again to let you all know I'm sill kickin', & might even post some toans next time I'm here....Hang in there everybody!!!

as always Greg gets technical!
:laughings:

Yeah you're right ..... I actually didn't even look at his settings ...... pulling down the low end is gonna let the mids shine more and free up a bit of power too.

And honestly when you mentioned "nipple" and "bonk" in the same post I got a little uncomfortable. :D

TripleM: Nice man, your DSL-40 sounds really good man, & to be honest, sounds remarkably similar to my 1w DSL head....The red/od channel is thin like Greg mentioned....Congrats on the new amp.....There's a wealth of knowledge here dude, I've learned tons about guitar tones from the guys here, just read through the thread, & if you can't find what you wanna know, just ask, these guys here will help ya, trust me, my tones have improved 100x from when I first started the real amp thing....

Thanks. Yeah in one night I went from "miles away" from what I wanted to "in the neighborhood."

More twankery. Here is a clip of two samples.

The first sample has Greg's suggestions. Here is the setup:

Crunch Channel
Guitar Volume - 10
Guitar Tone - 10
Amp Gain - 4
Amp Volume - 7
Treble - 5
Mid - 5
Bass - 7
Presence - 4
Resonance - 4

I thought it was a bit on the harsh side. I did some tweaks in the second sample.

Crunch Channel
Guitar Volume - 8
Guitar Tone - 10
Amp Gain - 4
Amp Volume - 7
Treble - 3
Mid - 7
Bass - 8
Presence - 7
Resonance - 6

I thought this second one was a little wooly. I ran out of time and couldn't do any more twanking. I think I'm going for something in between these two.

What do you think about them?

Getting better. I aint just saying this, but I liked the clip with my settings better. :D

I like the brightness. But it is probably a little too bright with my settings.

It reacted about the way I thought it would, which is good for my own info, but it's your sound and we need to get it figured out to where you like it.

The second settings are good too, particularly in the ending section, but I still think it's a little cloudy in the mids. And even though the tone is a little darker in the second section, it still has some harshness in it. It's definitely getting better though.

Here's what I'd suggest you try next:
1) Do a clip with no resonance or presence. Just use the three EQ knobs. I know that on my JVM410 the resonance and presence knobs can kill you fast. It might be the same with the DSL. Live, those knobs are great to suit the room, but I don't use either one of them for close mic recording. 0 and 0. Maybe sometimes a tiny little presence, but never any resonance. The presence on these modern PCB Marshalls can be pretty brutal

2) If you do use the presence, you might be on to something by trading the treble setting for presence, or vice versa. That trick works good on my JMP 2204. Run the treble low, and the presence high, or run no presence and use the treble knob. Both up can be rough with preamp gain.

3) That speaker sounds stiff to me, and I'm betting it isn't broken in well yet. It should sweeten up eventually. In the meantime, try an off-axis mic placement. That could knock some of the brittle edge off your tracks.

4) And I don't suspect this will work with that amp, but try cranking the master vol and running the gain low. This works great on the old 2203/2204 Marshalls. It totally sucks ass on the JVM. I don't think it'll work with the DSL because it's preamp section is similar to the JVM, but give it a shot.

Try cranking the master vol and running the gain low. This works great on the old 2203/2204 Marshalls. .

Trip, can we hear it with the master on 10 and the gain on 2-2 1/2, guitar vol and tone on 10. Adjust the eq to where you think it sounds best.

Back