The Musicians Workshop - Group Buy Invoicing/Payment

Zetajazz44

As most of you know, I have been working with Chance Pataki, from a software development standpoint, to try to make this group buy go smoother and less painful for everyone.

For invoicing and payment, in the past, Chance would send out a PayPal request to everyone via email. In my efforts to make this entire process less painful for Chance, I have built invoicing for the group buy into the User Console. I have spoken with Chance about this process, but thought that I would also post it here to get some of your thoughts and opinions about the process and and ideas that you might have to improve the process.

Here is my proposed flow for invoicing of the current Group Buy:

Below is how the screen looks, currently, when you log into the User Console. If you notice towards the middle of the screen there are 2 labels: INVOICE AVAILABLE and INVOICE PAID. Each of these values, at this time, are NO, since it is not time to send out invoices and no one has paid… The VIEW INVOICE button just below the grand total amount is also inactive and can’t be clicked at this time.
1a.gif

Once that Chance decides that it is time to pay, he will make invoices available to everyone via this User Console. When a group buy participant logs into the User Console, the label “INVOICE AVAILABLE” will have changed to “YES” and the “VIEW INVOICE” button, just below the grand total amount, is now active and now clickable. You may also notice that the “EDIT USER DETALS” and “ADD PRODUCT” button have now become disabled as well. The EDIT PRODUCT and DELETE product functionality has also been removed at this point as well.
2a.gif

Upon clicking the VIEW INVOICE button from the previous page, you will be taken to the page depicted below…an invoice of the items that you have chosen for the group buy as well as each item's pricing and grand total.

Also there is a huge button to allow the participants to “Pay Now Using PayPal”.

When you click this button, it will take you to PayPal, with grand total in place, along with the recipient of payment, which would be Chance Pataki. It will be a simple 2 click process from this point for the participant to pay up…
3a.gif

Once you have paid through PayPal, and Chance receives your payment, he will then mark your account as PAID. The next time you log into the User Console, you will see the first screen shot below. If you notice now the INVOICE AVAILABLE label still says “YES” , but the INVOICE PAID label is now marked “YES” as well…since you have paid… You can still click the VIEW INVOICE button to view or print your invoice, but this time, since you have paid, when you arrive at the invoice, the “Pay Now Using PayPal” won’t be there… This PayPal button will now be replaced by a “PAID” stamp as depicted in the second screen shot below.

***Please remember: This invoice does not contain shipping costs to you. There is no way of knowing shipping costs until the products arrive and are packed to be shipped to you. At this time, there will be another invoice made available for you to pay shipping costs for your items.

4a.gif

5a.gif

Please give me your thoughts, ideas and feedback... We'll work together to make this process as smooth as we can.

Thanks in advance,

Randy
Zetajazz44
Click HERE to Register for the Musican's Workshop Group Buy

i need advance notice as to when i will no longer be able to change my order. i still have coworkers that have yet to get back to be about what they want me to order them.

i need advance notice as to when i will no longer be able to change my order. i still have coworkers that have yet to get back to be about what they want me to order them.

Yes, I'm sure there will be several days notice to everyone... and that being said, I'll probably change this code to allow users to modify their products up to the point of payment... Meaning, after they pay, then the edit/add products will be disabled...

Do you think this would work better?

Just looking to making a better system...and causing less pain...

Randy
Zetajazz44

This looks great Randy. Simple and very straight forward.

Is it possible to include the final shipping info on the same screen? Multiple screens can sometimes be more difficult.

Maybe adding a shipping section or at least a way of getting to that page from this one. There it would show the same type of invoicing for shipping with a paid indicator and also the shipping tracking number, date and other info. Hope this makes sense!:)

This is soo much better.

Thanks!

Is it possible to include the final shipping info on the same screen? Multiple screens can sometimes be more difficult.

Maybe adding a shipping section or at least a way of getting to that page from this one. There it would show the same type of invoicing for shipping with a paid indicator and also the shipping tracking number, date and other info. Hope this makes sense!:)

This is soo much better.

Thanks!

Final shipping wont be determined until chance receives the products and packages them up for us.

This is soo much better.

Thanks!

Thanks!

Yes, I am already working on that exact piece in the system right now, minus the final shipping amount, since that won't be known until Chance receives the products and packs them up to ship out... Since there will be a database structure change to make it happen, I have to wait until "the non-busy" hours, about 2am-3am EDT, to take the system down for a while to make that happen...

I'm glad that you mentioned tracking number, shipping date...etc, I'd overlooked that! I'll add that in...

THANKS!!!

Randy
Zetajazz44

agreed...Zetajazz44....and Chance as well....if either of you were even a 'less than Mildly' hot chick....Id make out with you for like an hour for all this....

Yes, I'm sure there will be several days notice to everyone... and that being said, I'll probably change this code to allow users to modify their products up to the point of payment... Meaning, after they pay, then the edit/add products will be disabled...

Do you think this would work better?

Just looking to making a better system...and causing less pain...

Randy
Zetajazz44
I'm with Jim on this one. Having the option to add items up until I pay works better for me as well. Thanks for doing this, Randy.

Paul:D

While we're talking about adding fields, an alternate email address, and maybe even a phone number (both optional) would be good to add. In the time it takes from start to finish, things change and people fall out of touch. But I don't mean to over-complicate the system either -- we all know how that goes.

While we're talking about adding fields, an alternate email address, and maybe even a phone number (both optional) would be good to add. In the time it takes from start to finish, things change and people fall out of touch. But I don't mean to over-complicate the system either -- we all know how that goes.

Yes, these are good ideas as well! I'll put these on my To-Do list and add them with the next release...probably later tonight, EDT, when things slow down...

Randy
Zetajazz44

Randy
Zetajazz44

Works for me, but I'm betting that a lot of people (myself included) will wait until the last minute to pay so we don't give up our ability to change our order.

Works for me, but I'm betting that a lot of people (myself included) will wait until the last minute to pay so we don't give up our ability to change our order.

well thats all good as long as everyone pays before the time's up. i've just got so many people that want to get in on my order, that i'm not going to know my exact order numbers until it's time to pay up.

JTC111 said:
I'm sure that will be the case... But does it make sense to be able to edit your order after you've paid?

RightOnMusic said:
well thats all good as long as everyone pays before the time's up. i've just got so many people that want to get in on my order, that i'm not going to know my exact order numbers until it's time to pay up.

I'm sure that there will be ample time and notice given before the GB is actually shut down... I'm sure that in addition to it being posted on the boards, there will be emails sent out to all of the participants..probably more than 1 too...

Just looking for feeback like you all are giving to make this system as best as I can make it for everyone... Thanks again for all of your comments and suggestions...keep them coming!

Randy
Zetajazz44

I'm sure that will be the case... But does it make sense to be able to edit your order after you've paid?

Randy
Zetajazz44

No, not at all. I'm just wondering how many people are going to be kicking themselves in the ass when they miss the deadline. That's all I meant to imply. But I don't see any way around that, so people had better mark their calendars with a Sharpie and don't go messin' with the snooze alarm that morning.

...people had better mark their calendars with a Sharpie and don't go messin' with the snooze alarm that morning.

:D

Yep!

BUT, this is not a chisled-in-stone type system either... I'm not a machine. ;) I can/will/have worked with people on an individual basis thus far with this and will continue to do so...

Not trying to toot my own whistle, but there have been a few people that have had trouble with the login for the User Console and I have built "special login pages" just for them to have a fair shot and be able to utilize the system...

I'll work with anyone that has a problem... At least up until the time that Chance says, "No More.." At that point, my hands are tied as well..

Randy
Zetajazz44

It won't be hard to add to your order - just reregister with a new username and make an additional separate order.

But deleting from your order won't be possible. However, anything you decide you don't want after the fact will probably be highly marketable.

It won't be hard to add to your order - just reregister with a new username and make an additional separate order.

But deleting from your order won't be possible.

No, it won't, but after you pay, you wouldn't want to delete it anyways...right?

However, anything you decide you don't want after the fact will probably be highly marketable.

Yep, you could do this as well...as long as you use a different email address to register with...

But really, if anyone has any troubles, I'll work through it with you... As I said before, this system isn't chisled-in-stone... Just something to make this GB a little easier to manage...

Randy
Zetajazz44

Back