The Last American Wise Guy.

VOXVENDOR

Wrote this song for Henry Hill.. The bad assed wise guy from Goodfella's (Played by Ray Liotta...)

Found out Henry has a website... Emailed him and told him I was gonna write him a song...

He actually replied and said... "DO IT JOE!!!, DO IT!!!".. (Quoted)

Sent him emails since, telling him the song is done, haven't heard back.. Maybe he finally got whacked or something.

Anyways.... I wrote this song, cause I thought it was a fascinating story.. I am not one of those guys who idolizes killers... What he did was wrong, and he's a bad ass.

I just thought it would make a good song..

Anyways... It's About 8 months old or so.... Those of you who have my jamfest cd have already heard it, but I I wanted to share it with the rest of yaz..

It's in the traditional Voxvendor style.. Sampled Drums...etc..

Mix of 80's pop and 90's easy rock :)

The Lyrics are nothing fancy.. I don't write a huge story.... But what is there is based on his life.

Enjoy.
http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/rockpop/voxvendor/singles

That was cool song. Commmercial enough to get picked up. I liked that bass a lot in that. The guitar was pristine. Vocals shining, but could be a little bigger for me. Snare a bit too strong in chorus's . Where you positioned the backup vox was creative, and sounded real good. You got a new fan here hoss, again! :)

Now this is a Voxvendor signature tune.Nice intro guitars and keyboard riff.The chorus has a strong hook.You have some really good vocal stuff going on here Joe.The background vox during the chorus are great.The layered guitars and the spread of it all is great.Drums sound good.This will go into the voxvendor folder.

Good job Vox.

What the... :confused:

No ultra-layered lead vocal? You feelin' okay? Sounds like you put the layering to work on the guitars, though. I've heard this one before from your CD, of course, but it's been a while. I like the BGVs a lot here. I'm a bit surprised you didn't go with the natural harmony in the chorus's, but it's cool that you let it stand with just the one.

What mic/pre/effects did you use on the lead voc? I like the texture you got.

another top notch Vox production....this style really suits you and im glad you are working your way back to it......

man vox i love this stuff. and by the way that was a great movie.
this song is great, very good comercial sound on it. heck yeah awesome backing vox going on during the chorus, and the guitars lay in there perfect. great job thanks for sharing.
god bless tim pate

sounds very polished and commercial.. nice job.. I really thought the vocals should have been louder (bigger?) I was waiting for the humungous backing vocal, but I guess you can't do that all the time... Other than the low vocal, I would have liked guitar solos in place of the synth breaks.. maybe just a different synth sound, but it's all preference I guess.. Good song.. That's cool that you actually got in touch with him! Goodfellas really is a classic around here.. nice recording..

I agree that the vocals, mostly the verses, could come up a bit or maybe EQed a little different or something to bring them out.

Very nice work, very commercial and marketable.

When does the "TONY SOPRANO" song begin tracking?

Joe

Thanks alot guys.. All your comments are much appreciated.... I think when I do a final mix, I will definately try to liven those vocals up... Maybe even add some backing vox in..

I really dig this song, so wanted you guys to hear it... Your time is much appreciated.

This is his website if you guys are interested in checking it out..

http://www.goodfellahenry.com

Hmmmm.. I wonder what I could write bout Tony Soprano..:D

Joe

Crisp as usual

I really like the definitive bass guitar. Hold things together well.
Has the 80's fell w/flanged/phased BG melody and all.

No problems that I could hear. A very nice production!

Wow...very nice... sounds really good. Nothing consructive to add except this is a good song and I like it.

Oh...one complaint...where's that buzzing amp??? I demand more!!!! :D

nice tune, albeit kinda 80's sounding. I liked the chorus quite a bit. I also think the production sound jumps up a major amount during the chorus's too, and the verses sound kinda wimpy in comparision. Since you are using the gated drum sound, it sounded kinda strange to me with the volumes of them being so low, comparitively to the rest of the mix. I felt that effect was another "item" to help the drums sound "larger than life" and to have them so low in volume seemed almost contradictory...if that makes any sense. In the chorus, the drum mix seems to completely change....for the better, imo. I felt the song was was the best part of the ordeal, but the music was lacking some PUNCH to it during the verses too. Maybe because of the drums...
Maybe I am biased from the "commercial stuff" I might compare this to, but I think Phil Mutt Collins would have cranked the drums and made them much more dominant in the verses, and opened up some space there too. Then the Vox 'wall-o-sound' for the chorus for a nice contrast.

I have to agree with Gidge, that it is nice to hear you do more of "this stuff". I like this style of music.

Still listening to this tune.....on the 20th spin or so in the last 2 days.My brother said he could envison Tom Petty singing this tune.LOL.....I really dig it.Your music has a "Movie Soundtrack" quality to it.Most of your tunes would serve well as the musical backdrop for a movie scene.

Is the lead vocal doubled?If not,your lead vocals are definetly getting stronger.It does sound doubled for a word or two at 2:28 with some verb thrown on one of the vocals.The tamborine works well with the chorus.(That is a tambo isnt it?)

Cool mix Vox.

Man those guitars in the chorus are huge! This sounds great man. Very polished sound. Thanks for posting this.

Twist

Hey Vox,
......nice tune man. Yeah, in the tradition of good 80's music, I can totally hear the big bg vocs in this. Solid songwriting. I could hear Patty S. and Scandal doing this ......here comes the warrior......:) This is my favorite of the tunes youve posted.
Nice work man. gw/5

There's something about that level jump moving from the verse to the chorus that's a taste too noticeable. Maybe you could ease up the volume towards the end of each verse so the jump's less quantum. Alternately, ignore it. It's no biggie.

I like this one, Joe. Good work. You've got that pop groove nailed. Plus a sexy bendy guitar sound and a drstawl ending. You could do this one in a stadium. If you could get yourself into the stadium... :D

Nice song, really nice sound.

Back