The Haas Effect

So after watching the video, I guess if your aim is to create motion and "space" without panning it is a useful trick. Seems like a lot of work for something so subtle, though.

I'm not quite sure what I'm missing because I've never used tricks like this to simulate primary reflections and subtle movement. Then again, I use the LCR method and use ambience plugins to simulate depth and reflection.

Cheers :)

Not so much motion or width, but more of a placement, in my mind there are instruments or little subtle things that don't seem to sit well in the speakers. Unless there is a better way that I'm not aware of, I would imagine this would help solve that issue. Still something I'd like to try despite negative views of the..."technique".

For the record, I don't like using delay to compensate for a lack of stereo width. I'd rather have a true stereo image. kind of like doubling a rhythm guitar and delaying one side...it sounds better to just double the part or using stereo micing on an acoustic.

Since I don't use it I'm not going to really give a rats ass, but um, what is with you guys? The specific subject has nothing to do with making 'stereo' out of a mono source, creating ambiance, and even less to do with double tracking

Yep :facepalm:

Since I don't use it I'm not going to really give a rats ass, but um, what is with you guys? The specific subject has nothing to do with making 'stereo' out of a mono source, creating ambiance, and even less to do with double tracking

You're probably right but, like I said, 99.99999% of the time that someone uses this "technique", they're trying to create stereo out of mono. Whether this should have anything to do with it is one thing, but people use it for that reason more often than not.

You're probably right but, like I said, 99.99999% of the time that someone uses this "technique", they're trying to create stereo out of mono. Whether this should have anything to do with it is one thing, but people use it for that reason more often than not.
Fair enough

But too.. all the more reason when we do know the dif.. not to stray ;)

Okay, I'm inexperienced enough that I'd like to try this, just for the heck of it. I like "Stupid Human Tricks." Is there any reason why there has to be two separate tracks? Can't I pan the track hard left, use an Aux Send to delay the track and pan the output hard right?

Okay, I'm inexperienced enough that I'd like to try this, just for the heck of it. I like "Stupid Human Tricks." Is there any reason why there has to be two separate tracks? Can't I pan the track hard left, use an Aux Send to delay the track and pan the output hard right?

You can do that. Same thing.

Okay, I'm inexperienced enough that I'd like to try this, just for the heck of it.
Absolutely. My sarcasm aside, you SHOULD try it. The only way to have an informed opinion on something is to try it for yourself. I used to copy, paste and nudge my tracks too, until I ealized how cheesy it sounds compared to actually playing a part twice.

The one legit use for this technique that I've heard of is Miroslav's. He uses it on a an oscillating organ and what he does is copy and paste the track, pan them hard and nudge one track forward (or back) so that when the organ's oscillating up one one side, it's oscillating down on the other, and vice versa.

@mixsit,
Yeah, it's a typical rookie mistake to think that the haas technique has anything to do with double tracking or ambiance.
Most people don't really get it because it takes a little time, understanding and finesse. Or they haven't fully tested it, and simply poo poo it.

But like any other tool, there is the right time and place where it will work perfectly to solve a specific problem where nothing else did.

@Ptravel
(and yes, you can use it as an Aux instead of duping it)

On of the bennies' of this stuff even if you decide not to use it for panning or whatever, is that it gets you the understanding of why things happen. The 'string from the mics to center the snare in those '3-mic drum techniques for example. A few inches either way is 'Haas throwing it off center. Don't recall them saying in the vid but it takes quite a lot of 'balance (gain) if you were to try to compensate for that with level or pan pot'. So there is an example where if you didn't know ..or care? :D, you might be wondering why the whole kit is going lopsided just to 'dial the center in a bit.

I see that now, but my original argument still stands: comb filtering when collapsing to mono.

The better ways to do this is to use ambiance effects and panning. The ambiance algorithms will do a better job of diffusing the original signal than delay and give a better mono collapsed signal.

Cheers :)

The two situations where I regularly hear Haas effect are when aligning the azimuth of a playback head to a particular cassette tape and when I'm time aligning tracks. In both cases my goal is to minimize or eliminate the effect.

I use it all the time, but also very sparingly. It can really help something pop out of the mix or help fill out the opposite side of the mix (like a hardcore band with just 2 gtrs, bass, drums, vox - the gtrs often use some haas effect to make them huge and wide). Using it on too many things at once makes the mix sound very hollow though. I basically use it as a "special effect"

The Haas effect is not a mixing technique. It is the product of acoustic research regarding the brain's ability to perceive sound direction and the nature of dominant sound in a mix.
Rod Norman

Hey all, I have been doing some in depth studying on different mixing techniques and came across the Haas effect. VERY interesting to say the least. Has anyone ever used this method, if so what did you use it on and how did it turn out? I've yet to try this out, but kind of exciting to put it to practice.

Back