The First Night

Real nice song. I really liked it.

I liked the electric/acoustic thing that's going on. Real pretty melody and nice lyrics.

There's some real good opportunity for harmonies in the chrous. Doubling the lead vox during the chorus would be cool too. Vocals are a little dry. A little more use of a subtle reverb might be nice.

The volume on the various vocal parts during the outro are a bit soft.

The snare could probably be pulled back just a bit. I love the sound of it though. Just a little strong.

Some very slight vocals pitchiness (e.g., 1:19 on the word "see"). Very slight though. Did you cut-and-paste the chorus? I notice the same pitchiness elsewhere at the same spot.

Love the song.

Very nice recording... (said he of shite speakers)...

Agreed... EXCELLENT snare sound... good call TripM...

You're singing almost like the guy from Radiohead here... very under control, understated, but passionate...

Great groove... excellent song... it does beg for backups during the chorus... some doubling/octaves on the main vox too...

You're really kicking ass around here Drew... drunk or not ;)

Backups, and this would be mint. --->Pillow<-- mint.

:D
C

first....
excellent tune man...
second...
great recording...

this has that nouveau rock sound to it and I dig it man...
great combo of acoustic and electric...it's the finesse of the performance that I appreciate the most I think....

well done,
Joe

listening to mix two:

for some reason the drums sound just a little too loud to me. not much but just a little too loud. 3db or so?

background vocals aren't exactly what i was thinking. i guess i'm hearing a second voice on 'i know it will be alright' starting a minor third above where you're singing? the note is D i think?

if i wasn't so freaking busy i'd just sing it and send it back to you but.........fuck am i busy right now.

actually most of my thoughts are on production and not mixing so i'll shut up now since this is the mixing clinic. my only mix comment is take the drums down a few db.

TripleM - thanks for checking it out...yep...guilty on the cut-and -paste parts....i'm going to look into those pitch parts and the verb....thanks.....

participant - thanks for the kind words chad....i've really been trying to come up w/ better backups for the chorus....i'll post it if i can come up w/ something good....i tried some originally but was having trouble with it.....thanks man!

joro - thanks for listening....glad you like it

erichenryus - i'm gonna hopefully try some harmonies tonight and i'll see what you think......minor third huh? i'll give it a shot.......thanks for the second listen.........

Hey Powder,
Beautiful song bro. The guitars in the verses sound just gorgeous. From here, the chorus lacks a little low end meat. ..but it might just be my listening source. I agree with the comments re: drums NICE! Your recordings have really improved alot bro.... this is really nice!
gw/5

Really nice,

Drums sound kind of predomonent, not a bad thing though, as they sound excellent, but could use more fills.

Great sounding recording, and song!!!

Will listen more!!

GT

I have been in here since the beginning of the year and so many member's stuff has really improved. This place works I guess. :) You have listened well grasshopper. I know I have sure learned a ton.

I love the intro. Great sound and it sucks you right in. Good song all around. Definetely could be on the radio, at least a few years ago.

It sure sticks in your head. Nice guitar parts. They work well together and are nicely played.

Nice mix too. I might bring down that snare a little like others said.

Great work powder!

I have one thing to say

Tasty:D Definitely good stuff!
Great guitar work--excellent blending.

The song is layered very well. There is a lot to listen to here.

sabbath - thanks for checking it out again...i think i'm gonna go down a hair on the drums like noted...i still want to add a kick at the end like you suggested as well as a second kick hit it the chorus for a boom-chick boom-boom-chick standard rock beat instead of the current boom-chick boom-chick, just to change it up........

Guernica - I'll check out how much low end i took out of those guits...maybe a bit too much....thanks for checking it out.......

GT - thanks for checking it out....several people have noted more fills would help...i plan on doing that...thanks......

skids - the learning curve here really is amazing isn't it? glad you can hear an improvement....that's what i'm going for :D this site has helped me more than all other sources combined

sloop - thanks for checking it out man...glad you liked it!

Listening to your jammie for the 2nd time! Nice git tracking,vocs holding strong;could use some boost especially at 3:50 but more than effective. Drums holdin' the flow nicely with snare crisp. Bass could use some more presence. This was a really smooth jammie!
Good one powder!

MISTERQCUE - thanks for checking it out man.....i'll check out that section at 3:50.....thanks for pointing it out........

What's that cluster of drum hits at 1.05? It sounds like a sloppy tom or something LOL.

Bring the backing vocals at 3.12 up a taste. 3.45 ditto. Maybe ease down the drum level a bit for the outro?

Reminds me of Counting Crows a bit. Nice.

I like the song a ton...listened to it yesterday, on monitors, and dammit, lol...some of the vocals are just off pitch...period. I'm not gonna' bore you with time counts, b/c you've got a good enough ear to know where I'm talking about.

Just trying to shoot ya' some straightness. Killer mix, btw.

Great Sound and Song...I think you have some Tom Petty flavor here...

The only thing that I think may need some brushing is when you jump into the chorus the music seems be a touch loud and almost competes with your vocals...but I could live with that...

Nice job...

Great song structure...

You've been putting out a lot of really good music lately man. Seems like one every week or two. I appreciate the sense of honesty in your music. Some people write honest songs that sound like bullshit. Others write bullshit songs that sound honest. I trust yours.

Damn, I gotta split...good song man. Cya.

Great mix! Except I'd bring the drums down considerably. They're pretty far forward. I hear what Chris is saying about a slight pitchiness, vox-wise. Could stand a hair of an adjustment on a few parts.

But this is a VERY nice-sounding mix. And I think that kind of loping, pop, acoustic AND electric guitars kinda things is one of the harder styles to mix - for me anyway.

Very nice job.

Chris

Back