the faster we go...

No, that's totally cool. I asked, so thanks for elaborating. I definitely don't want to sound cliche, and while in some respects I think this sounds kind of original, I think there's some validity to what you're saying.

Damn, I forgot about Sugar Ray. I think I actually kind of liked that sound a little at the time, but it seems cheesy now.

Initially, the entire thing was going to be rap, so be glad I at least dialed it back some! Thanks again.

Sure thing. Just for clarification....I don't think your song is cliche or unoriginal, just the rap part.

holy shit dude...that was excellent!

I thought the rapping was brill, im about to attempt it too, cant believe you beat me to it lol

I think the mix all sounds pretty good, if there was a nit its that the distortion on the drums should maybe be automated so it comes down a little during the vocal parts...other than that Ive got nothing

Id buy this

Sure thing. Just for clarification....I don't think your song is cliche or unoriginal, just the rap part.

Yeah, I get it. Thanks Greg :). Just so you know though, that shit was very difficult (for me at least). Not that degree of difficulty makes it any more worth listening to, but trying to get all those words to fit timing-wise without hardly being able to take a breath was probably the hardest part of this tune. I actually had to punch in the 2nd half (and there isn't a whole lot of room to punch!), even for just that short section, 'cause I kept running out of breath. I don't know how real rappers do it.

holy shit dude...that was excellent!

I thought the rapping was brill, im about to attempt it too, cant believe you beat me to it lol

I think the mix all sounds pretty good, if there was a nit its that the distortion on the drums should maybe be automated so it comes down a little during the vocal parts...other than that Ive got nothing

Id buy this

Awesome! Can't wait to hear you. I bet it will be brill!

That's probably a good idea on the noise...chili said the same thing basically. It's part of the loop, so the whole thing goes up or down together. I might be able to figure something out with EQ though 'cause I agree with you guys on that.

I dirtied up the acoustic drums as much as I dared so they'd blend in better. I also compressed the shit out of the OHs which was an effect I liked. With all that though, the acoustic drums sounded a little too wimpy on their own...thank you.

Hey fella great track! personally i think the vocals need to be a bit clearer in the mix. For me i can't hear them completely over the rest of the track. Keep up the good work though! :)

Hey hitmeiser! Another good one here... Listened to it a few times over the past couple days but didn't get a chance to comment til now. I'm not crazy about the rap breakdown either, though it's well executed and doesn't feel out of place. Just a personal taste thing.

Things I like include your 'minimal second guitar' parts, kind of like a note here and there that compliments the main guitar... very cool. Like the cuteness of the lyrics too. Especially the second verse- I can relate. I would not have necessarily compared it to the Beatles but if I did, I'd call it more a Ringo than a John. Sorry, it's just too fun.

Hey fella great track! personally i think the vocals need to be a bit clearer in the mix. For me i can't hear them completely over the rest of the track. Keep up the good work though! :)

Thanks Dee. You're probably right on that. At least one other had the same feedback. I don't know if it's EQ or the level, or...I kind of like 'em buried a bit, but if I remix, I will try to fiddle with the vox a little. I checked out your tracks which sounded great, but I'm afraid I was unable to provide much of anything useful.

I can believe it. You did it well though.

:)

Hey hitmeiser! Another good one here... Listened to it a few times over the past couple days but didn't get a chance to comment til now. I'm not crazy about the rap breakdown either, though it's well executed and doesn't feel out of place. Just a personal taste thing.

Things I like include your 'minimal second guitar' parts, kind of like a note here and there that compliments the main guitar... very cool. Like the cuteness of the lyrics too. Especially the second verse- I can relate. I would not have necessarily compared it to the Beatles but if I did, I'd call it more a Ringo than a John. Sorry, it's just too fun.

Damn. Another listener not impressed by my mad skillz! :(

I always strive for cute lyrics. Glad I was able to deliver. Did anyone notice I worked an obscure Apocolypse Now reference in there...? "...they say your methods have become unsound"

I love those parts of that movie...Brando: "are my methods unsound?" Martin Sheen: "I don't see.....any method.....at all sir."

Damn. Another listener not impressed by my mad skillz! :(

I always strive for cute lyrics. Glad I was able to deliver. Did anyone notice I worked an obscure Apocolypse Now reference in there...? "...they say your methods have become unsound"

I love those parts of that movie...Brando: "are my methods unsound?" Martin Sheen: "I don't see.....any method.....at all sir."

Tellya what, if I ever have a rap breakdown in a song I want you to do it...:D

Love the movie but the reference went right over my head.

Yeah - you even conveyed the pauses properly in text lol

:) Martin Sheen was just kick-ass in that film.

Tellya what, if I ever have a rap breakdown in a song I want you to do it...:D

I won't hold my breath :p!

Love the movie but the reference went right over my head.

Yeah, I guess that was awfully subtle. There's so many other more famous lines to work off of if I had wanted it to be noticeable.

Cool intro, I like that scratchy loop. The melody to this is fairly simple but it's pretty damn catchy. After the first listen I had to go and paint some shelves for Her Indoors, and I found myself humming the chorus while getting light headed on paint fumes. Busy mix but good clarity on everything. This could be on the radio

Cool intro, I like that scratchy loop. The melody to this is fairly simple but it's pretty damn catchy. After the first listen I had to go and paint some shelves for Her Indoors, and I found myself humming the chorus while getting light headed on paint fumes. Busy mix but good clarity on everything. This could be on the radio

Hey - hope you're ok after the chemically-induced stupor! Simple and busy - I think that actually sums it up pretty well. I think that's kind of my M.O. at this point. I'm glad you find it to be catchy. While not always my goal, I think I was going for that here for some reason...thanks for the comments!

That's a quality tune,I love the groove you have going there and the production is something I wish I could achieve too.

Thanks for the kind words Friday. It really doesn't take much in terms of gear, technique or even talent to produce something like this...mostly just patience I think. Most all of the production choices are made while tracking, so by the end, there isn't much left to do in terms of mixing and processing and stuff...

Having said that, I listened to this again last night with the comments I've gotten in mind, and I think I hear some opportunities for improvement, but still not sure if I want to approach this again. This is the first and only mix so far, but I'm already kinda attached to it...

HEAT!!!!! Whats up dude. I like the heck out of this tune man. Me and a buddy listened to this the other night and he and I were both very pleased with the listen.

You pulled a KC on me on this one, though. I have to ask what the sample is saying throughout. It's a nice add I'll say that.

Great song and I'm loving the other stuff on your site that I didn't get a chance to comment on.

Have a good one and keep jamming them cool tunes. :guitar:

Trump

HEAT!!!!! Whats up dude. I like the heck out of this tune man. Me and a buddy listened to this the other night and he and I were both very pleased with the listen.

You pulled a KC on me on this one, though. I have to ask what the sample is saying throughout. It's a nice add I'll say that.

Great song and I'm loving the other stuff on your site that I didn't get a chance to comment on.

Have a good one and keep jamming them cool tunes. :guitar:

Trump

Hey Trump!! Good to hear from you again. Hope all is well in Kentucky. Thanks much for the kind words as always...

The vocal sample...I wondered if that could be understood. That is actually from a cassette recording of my Dad in 1983. I had this comic book written in French and he was translating it onto cassette for me so that I could follow along later. The comic was "Tintin in Africa" and the villian is talking to an African tribal leader about Tintin and says, "This little white boy"...blah blah (talks shit about him). In retrospect, that comic was kinda rascist...it was written in like the 40's or 30's or something. That might have been why I couldn't get a copy in English?

Anyway, that is what is being said, "this little white boy". What does that have to do with the song? Nothing really, but I thought it sounded cool sped up and looped.

I'm so flippin' tired, I forgot how to type. Suffice it to say, "Yes". I love it. I love the groove. If I might suggest anything in this sleep-deprived stupor, it'd have to be to ease up on the gain a bit on the overall mix, but just a hair. Sounds a bit too compressed for the song, me thinks.

Dude... Great listen. First time I've listened to anything on this board for months, and I'm glad it was this one. Great job, man.

Hey PI. I am flippin' tired as well as I write this. I'm really glad you gave it a listen and thanks for the encouragement and the suggestion. I will have to look at what FX I used during "mastering". I know there's a limiter and some EQ...

I did compress some individual tracks much more than I have in the past, so maybe they sum up to sound a little choked. I dunno, it's such a fine line with compression sometimes. I still find it to be somewhat mysterious....

Vocal needs to come up or get more present, I think.

I like the idea of a CD too, or a downloadable album on Bandcamp. If I can do it, absolutely anybody can figure it out.

Back