The Fake Drums Tone Thread

I don't have any version of kontakt so if you'd like me to check anything on the free version, just let me know. :)

That'd be cool man, I'd hate for someone to miss out on this because they don't have the full version of Kontakt, but I have no idea if it'll work or not with the freebie....

No worries. If it answers a question or saves you any hassle, I'd be glad to help.
With Greg's approval too, of course.

I should say, I'm not trying to nab a copy of your library.
If there's a way to test with a single instrument...one tom...something like that? That's fine.

No worries. If it answers a question or saves you any hassle, I'd be glad to help.
With Greg's approval too, of course.

I should say, I'm not trying to nab a copy of your library.
If there's a way to test with a single instrument...one tom...something like that? That's fine.

Yeah, Greg would have to give me the green light on any of it, as they're his samples/sounds...

I jumped the gun saying anything about giving 'em away, sorry dudes...

Last edited:
Yeah, Greg would have to give me the green light on any of it, as they're his samples/sounds...

I jumped the gun saying anything about giving 'em away, sorry dudes...

Yeah, that's cool man.
If there's anything you want tested with or without Greg samples, hit me up. :)

Something to consider that I've not seen: Cymbal rolls. No matter how you do them (with SSD at least) it sounds a bit fake.

Something to consider that I've not seen: Cymbal rolls. No matter how you do them (with SSD at least) it sounds a bit fake.

+1.
That's one of the good things I noticed about East West percussion. It has various recorded rolls for cymbals, snares, timpani etc.
I've never seen it in a straight-up drum suite, though.

Bumping this thread up, anyone wanna comment on the fake drums on this??? Anything sound off/not right??? Thanks in advance...

Cover Tune

FWIW, only thing that's me here are the drums, the other tracks are Rock Band multi-tracks, & I did the drum programming following the RB drum track as a guide...

That's pretty good. The toms seem kind of narrow. Are they that narrow in the real tracks? Are those my cymbals?

That's pretty good. The toms seem kind of narrow. Are they that narrow in the real tracks? Are those my cymbals?

Thanks dude, makes me feel pretty good when you say my fake drums sound ok...On the toms, I seem to do this a lot, I can't stand the hard panned stuff in these fake drums, to me, it makes 'em sound even more fake, so I probably went overboard...

IIRC, the oh's are panned like 45/45, the room/ambience mics are 55/55 & the toms are panned a little more narrow...Should be an easy fix though, just a couple little tweaks for that...

Your cymbals are on this dude, but they're blended with Superior oh's/cymbals...

I dunno if these Rock Band multi-tracks are real or not, but some of them sure sound like they are...That said, something that really surprised me is how much room sound are on the drums, it's a lot more than I expected...

I was thinking those guitar tracks sound awfully refined for vintage KISS tracks, but I don't know. That Rockband shit is foreign to me.

I think you did a good job with the programming. That's pretty much how Peter Criss played it to the best of my recollection. Sounds like it could be a real drummer. You can widen the toms but drop em down a bit so they're more from the overheads.

I was thinking those guitar tracks sound awfully refined for vintage KISS tracks, but I don't know. That Rockband shit is foreign to me.

Yeah man, I'm just not sure these things are the real deal...How did they gain access to the tracks/masters/whatever, you know??? Some of them sound pretty authentic, but others don't, so I dunno if they're real or not, but these things have been a great help to me as a learning tool, & I've got a bunch of them from different bands/artists...

I think you did a good job with the programming. That's pretty much how Peter Criss played it to the best of my recollection. Sounds like it could be a real drummer. You can widen the toms but drop em down a bit so they're more from the overheads.

Thanks man, the midi I programmed was triggered by the RB drum tracks, basically doing what Slate's Trigger & Drumagog do, I just used a script/custom action I got from the Reaper forum to spit out the midi for each kit piece...Of course, this isn't 100% accurate, & I'm still learning how to use the script, so I did have to edit the midi, but I think it's fairly close...

All that went way over my head. Lol.

Lol...It's not that hard or complicated man, basically what it does is insert a midi note where each drum hit is in the song/timeline, for each kit piece (kick, snare, toms, etc)...

Here it is being used, the blue is the original waveform, red is the "filter" waveform (you can turn this up/down to trigger more notes/fewer notes), & the yellow lines are the midi notes themselves (the little dot on the yellow line is velocity for each hit)...

The script has a few sliders for fine tuning (IE: it has eq filters to concentrate on just a kick drum for example), they have to be fiddled with for the best results, but this is free (I think Trigger & Drumagog are like $100) & does about the same thing...

The only drawback for me is a tempo map needs to be made, or it has major timing issues, but I've finally got the hang of that, & doesn't take too long now that I understand/know what I need to do...

But what the hell do you do with that? Are you turning a finished 2-bus drum track into individual hits?

Sort of, but instead of wav files/hits, it spits out midi notes....Each kit piece in fake drums have their own midi note#, (note numbers go from 1-127...kick=36, snare=38, etc) & this script/program spits the midi notes at the transients, basically putting the midi notes where each drum hit is in the song...When the midi is played back through Superior/EZ Drummer, it plays the notes assigned to each piece...

This is what I see when I double click on a midi item in Reaper:

At the left are the name of the articulations for each kit piece, & the number next to each note (triangles) is it's velocity...Basically the script turns the audio/individual hits into midi notes, & when played back through Superior/EZ Drummer, the notes trigger the different kit pieces/articulations...

The pic above is about 1 bar (you can see the bar numbers at the top)...:)

Okay but what do you do with this? Don't you e-drum or just draw you own drum tracks? I guess I don't understand the point of this.

Okay but what do you do with this? Don't you e-drum or just draw you own drum tracks? I guess I don't understand the point of this.

Just think of it as converting drum tracks from a wav file, into a midi file, like these songs have been recorded using an e-kit...

Man, That is some complicated shit!
It would take me half a decade to get the drums down on a song like this.
My hat is off to you miner!
You're obviously a bona fide genius.

Back