The Fake Drums Tone Thread

Don't worry about it. You don't need it. It does what Reaverb does. It hosts impulses.

I'm trying to add more variation in my fills (I'm not a very good a drummer so I'm not particularly creative with my fills).

So, I want to add some of the stock fills from EZD2 into my drum track. I've created my drum track in the piano roll and I'm generally happy with it. I just want to add a few bits in here and there. I'm assuming there is a way of adding the stock fills from EZDrummer2 into a piano roll that you've already created.

EDIT - its OK. Worked it out. There's no button to export a fill to your piano roll and you can't C&P stuff into your piano roll. You need to close the piano roll down and just drag and drop the MIDI from EZD2 into your MIDI track in the DAW. Didn't think it would be that easy.

If using programmed drums, would you guys remove the reverb from them and instead add your guitar/vocal reverb to them to give the same room/cohesion feel?

If using programmed drums, would you guys remove the reverb from them and instead add your guitar/vocal reverb to them to give the same room/cohesion feel?

Short answer; yes. Depending on the drum software, some don't have actual reverb added. Only room mics. Addictive Drums has effects. SSD4 does not.

Whether using a reverb to create a 'similar space' is something you would decide depending on the songs needs. Or genre, or whatever. Nothing works the same for everything. And even then it is personal choice/opinion.

I personally/typically use a different reverb for guitars than vocals. And another for snare and sometimes toms. But they are not extreme differences. I find using one reverb group for a whole mix becomes muddy and washed out.

I hate using this, but YMMV

Here's the final mix & master of The Keeper with BIAB drums.

BIAB does have some parameters that can be tweaked such as reverb and level so I killed the reverb and when in Reaper added the verb as used on vox & guitar to put things in the same room.
I did have to EQ a bit to pull down the HiHat which was a little too strident.
For a stereo drum track from a computer it seems to be OK.
Greg did the guitars and Bubba po the singing.
Fran Ashcroft of HappyBeat did the mastering.

Wow, Ray...that's incredible. Nice collaboration! If I hadn't known the drums were BIAB, I would not have suspected.

Like Jimmy, I have SSD and it doesn't have any reverb.
As far as I know it has a library of processed kits and a library of raw recordings - is that right Jimmy?

Either way, I always have my own reverb bus and usually compression bus, the same as I would if I'd recorded a kit.

One thing I do sometimes is pipe every single 'mic' from the software out to an aux track.
That way I actually have a track for kick, snare top, snare bottom, etc etc and can use my own effects the way I would on a real kit.

Something about being tied to SSD or XLNs mixer and processing (or not!) doesn't appeal to me.]

I've been trying to decide between software and real kit for an upcoming album for a while now.
Here's a track I'm working on today. It's a work in progress. I know the shakers are crazy loud, etc.

Trying to move away from virtual instruments where possible. The organ is an actual organ sitting in my garage! lol. Cost me £10! :eek:
The guitar (solo briefly at the very end) is through an old tape delay that I picked up this week! Dirty! :)

Wow..none of this has anything to do with drum tones. :facepalm:

Great sounding track Ray!!!!

I always have my own reverb bus and usually compression bus, the same as I would if I'd recorded a kit.

One thing I do sometimes is pipe every single 'mic' from the software out to an aux track.
That way I actually have a track for kick, snare top, snare bottom, etc etc and can use my own effects the way I would on a real kit.

Something about being tied to SSD or XLNs mixer and processing (or not!) doesn't appeal to me.]

This ^ is how I always use my drum vsti's, always. Even if the "kit" has reverb, I never use that, I route everything out to it's own track, & send each one to a couple 'verbs, then adjust the levels accordingly...

Last edited:
Cool man. Looking forward to hearing that! Hope it goes well. :)

I'm pretty sure you can guess what's up, but I'm still not gonna say, just yet anyway...

I will say it's a lot more involved/harder than I thought it'd be, but again, whenever it's done, it should be cool, & I'll share it with everyone here (as long as the other guys involved agree, which I'm pretty sure they would, both of 'em are good guys...)...

Aw man, that's really cool! :)
Ah, I understand why you weren't sure if it was cool to say, now.

Fair play to Greg and to you - Lot of work in it for both of you.

Really looking forward to hearing the results! :)

Every one needs to give Greg a kiss on the forehead, and he gets a one year free pass to rag on newbies.

I, as the mayor of home recording town, proclaim it to be so.
:D

Edit: oh, just realized I ain't mayor of shit and have no executive powers. Crap! :D

Very cool IMO...What better way is there to get some real drum sounds when you can't have a kit yourself???

I feel kinda bad for Greg doing this, I can imagine him behind his kit, ready to rock-n-roll, in full-on Gerg-mode, then hitting a single hit every few seconds....Very cool of him to do this, but again goes to show he'd help any of his recording buddies at any time...

Lots of work involved in this project, I was pretty sure it'd be a big job, but really had no clue until I got into it...

There is one thing that's worrying me, I don't know if this will work in the free version of Kontakt because I have the full version. I'm hoping it will, that way it'd be free for everyone, but if it doesn't, I'll have to find some sort of work-around...

There also might be more than just the cymbals from Greg too, depends on a couple different things, so I'm keeping that quiet until I know for sure...

I don't have any version of kontakt so if you'd like me to check anything on the free version, just let me know. :)

Back