The Distortion of Sound

"I am starting to think Rod is a trolling member just looking to post sillyness. Hmm.." Jimmy69

The new signature line is a bit of a give away.

The loudness war is here to stay,
Who cares if it don't go away!
Cry me a river, Verse, chorus and bridge
Set up you're limiter, and get over it.

Are bridge and it a near rhyme? :D

Dear Greg and Ken,
I agree the article is fair read but the gist of it all is that all the major sources of entertainment sound, radio,TV, film etc, will eventually go over to a loudness criterion for their modulation levels instead of just a peak level that everyone and his aunty is now trying to crowd.

The result of this will be, so I understand, is that those "dinosaurs" that squash the ***t out of everything to 0.001dBFS will have their music sounding very flat, silly and uninspiring.

Do not worry Greg! You will STILL be loud! Whatever dynamic range you now enjoy will be better translated to the final product.

Dave.

It's 8:30. I'm still trying to be silly (and still failing) and was that a s**t or a t**t? Don't have to be at work until 1:00 PM.

Dear Greg and Ken,
I agree the article is fair read but the gist of it all is that all the major sources of entertainment sound, radio,TV, film etc, will eventually go over to a loudness criterion for their modulation levels instead of just a peak level that everyone and his aunty is now trying to crowd.

The result of this will be, so I understand, is that those "dinosaurs" that squash the ***t out of everything to 0.001dBFS will have their music sounding very flat, silly and uninspiring.

Do not worry Greg! You will STILL be loud! Whatever dynamic range you now enjoy will be better translated to the final product.

Dave.

WTF do I have to be worried about? My shit isn't going to be played on TV, radio, or in movies. I do my stuff the way I want it and would rather not have it "normalized" by anyone or anything else. I think it's fucking stupid to fit all styles of music into one loudness box because some ancient fuckhead thinks that's how it should be because that's how they made Steeley Dan and ABBA records back in the stone ages..

WTF do I have to be worried about? My shit isn't going to be played on TV, radio, or in movies. I do my stuff the way I want it and would rather not have it "normalized" by anyone or anything else. I think it's fucking stupid to fit all styles of music into one loudness box because some ancient fuckhead thinks that's how it should be because that's how they made Steeley Dan and ABBA records back in the stone ages..

It's NOT normalizing Greg. As far as I understand it, a piece of music/sound track will be "allocated" a loudness value which will determine where it sits in the dynamic range of the transmission medium (which is of course VASTLY better than it was years ago but is wasted by the loud as possible freaks)

The customer therefore has a decent DR reproduced and can (in most cases) determine how loud he/she want to audition it.

So no, if you don't put stuff out it won't be touched but the coming of "loudness control" should make everybody's listening experience so much better. Personally I can't wait! Being clinically deaf I find TV dialogue (especially I have to say AMERICAN TV dialogue) so hard to follow and I am told that the new systems will improve this.

Dave.

:facepalm:

It's like reverse normalizing.

So I have to have my TV watching altered for you clinically deaf dinosaurs? No thanks.

:facepalm:

It's like reverse normalizing.

So I have to have my TV watching altered for you clinically deaf dinosaurs? No thanks.

No, you get the programme reproduced at closer to the originator's desired dynamic range giving you MORE choice as to your personal listening level, not less.

We have the paradox today that we have the best sound quality gear in history and the shittiest sound being sent out!

My deafness means that when "arty" producers drown dialogue with foley and atmos' I don't get it. I probably WOULD if I were listening to the producer's cut on his PMCs in a super quiet, fabulously treated room!

Dave.

No, you get the programme reproduced at closer to the originator's desired dynamic range giving you MORE choice as to your personal listening level, not less.
I'll point out why this is wrong in a sec....

We have the paradox today that we have the best sound quality gear in history and the shittiest sound being sent out!
This is classic dinosaur speak. Shittiest sound? By who's definition? An admitted clinically deaf guy's?

My deafness means that when "arty" producers drown dialogue with foley and atmos' I don't get it. I probably WOULD if I were listening to the producer's cut on his PMCs in a super quiet, fabulously treated room!

Dave.
If you knew how to work your equipment it wouldn't be a problem. Sometimes I'll watch things on Netflix, DVD, Blu-Ray, or just regular TV. Occasionally the sound effects and/or soundtrack music is distractingly louder than the dialogue. Sometimes that's part of the experience, sometimes it's just annoying. Sometimes, depending on the broadcast, crowd noise might be a little distracting during a sports event. You know what? A simple audio adjustment with the TV remote fixes it in .5 seconds. Instead of cheering for everyone and everything having to fit some standard to make your disability more tolerable, try working your remote.

I am finding it hard to understand why you seem so upset Greg?

But I can only say I am sorry that you too have hearing difficulties. As you probably know it is not simply a matter of loss of sensitivity but also one of discrimination. I have all manner of ways to make things louder, skew the response, but it is hard to overcome the lack of "resolution".

As an example. I had no trouble hearing guitars at 90dBspl when at work but I could not tell which was the "good" tone or the "bad" during the voicing sessions!

Dave...Err..WHAT???

I am finding it hard to understand why you seem so upset Greg?

But I can only say I am sorry that you too have hearing difficulties. As you probably know it is not simply a matter of loss of sensitivity but also one of discrimination. I have all manner of ways to make things louder, skew the response, but it is hard to overcome the lack of "resolution".
It aggravates me when musical morals are pushed on to those of us that don't need it or want it. Especially when it comes specifically from the very professional mastering halfwits that happily pushed things louder and louder over the decades. And now they're in bed with production companies and download/streaming entities which have the shittiest resolution of all? Hilarious. And hypocritical. Is this how they undo their decades of fuckups? By fucking it up the other way? Forgive me for not putting any faith in what those shills say or do. I don't know how that translates to me having hearing difficulties, but whatever you wanna think is okay with me.

As an example. I had no trouble hearing guitars at 90dBspl when at work but I could not tell which was the "good" tone or the "bad" during the voicing sessions!

Dave...Err..WHAT???
Having heard many Blackstar amps, I think it's safe to say that you are not the only guy there that can't tell good tone from bad tone. ;)

It aggravates me when musical morals are pushed on to those of us that don't need it or want it. Especially when it comes specifically from the very professional mastering halfwits that happily pushed things louder and louder over the decades. And now they're in bed with production companies and download/streaming entities which have the shittiest resolution of all? Hilarious. And hypocritical. Is this how they undo their decades of fuckups? By fucking it up the other way? Forgive me for not putting any faith in what those shills say or do. I don't know how that translates to me having hearing difficulties, but whatever you wanna think is okay with me.

Having heard many Blackstar amps, I think it's safe to say that you are not the only guy there that can't tell good tone from bad tone. ;)

Ok.
Well, I do not pretend to understand the intricacies of the "Loundness Proposals" but I have the greatest respect for those that do. Perhaps one of our mastering guys or another "grad tech" can enlighten us further?

The fact remains that "live sound" will always need to be processed in some way or another for recording and distribution.

I think I shall leave this thread now lest it get any deeper into "personalities".

Dave.

I've been in the business for over 44 years. I've worked in most of the great studios in NYC as well as on the west coast and with most of the great mastering engineers who at the time were in their fifties, so yes. The greats are for the most part all dead. My point was that worrying about the perfect listening environment doesn't matter if your music is over-compressed to the point of clipping. Some of the waveforms I've seen on things brought into my studio are laughable. They fill the screen. When a mastering engineer takes your original tracks they work very hard to get your the best outcome. But the general music of today is so filled with frequencies in the first place that no amount of mastering will save it. When they have the original tracks they can sometimes open up the center and make the whole thing sound wider but if the music is distorted hash, what's the point? Sometimes answer the same questions over and over month after month can drive me over the edge and for that I apologize. But my point remains. There's a reason mp3 is the standard. We're all listening to music on less than ideal speakers. To understand my rant, pull out one of the early LP's for The Who or Yes and see if they don't vlow you away. And if I were a trolling member, I wouldn't be giving so much advice that many others appreciate. I recently sent of ten page guide to recording, mixing, and mastering to another musician who turned his work around in a few days. Keep paying attention. There are jewels in the chest if you will only open it.
Are you completely out of your mind Rod?

Seriously, you seem to either need help mentally or just possibly a swift internet kick in your seemingly ignorant buttocks. :)

I am starting to think Rod is a trolling member just looking to post sillyness. Hmm..

Back