The Distortion of Sound

Wow great film thankz for sharing.really informative and how digital format has changed the way we listen to music...i Love how they kept mentioning That .Mp3 has Kill the way we listen to music now days lol
Witch in some way it has

Its certainly an interesting time for music. Producers are using multi-million dollar studios to record compressed format music that people will listen to on their phone over a 5 cent speaker. Makes you wonder. I think the formats will change, maybe something better will come along, if someone figures out how to make money out of it.

When I was a kid I listened to AM radio in mono on a 3 inch speaker on a portable battery operated radio. So nothing has really changed.

When we were kids Ido there certainly were consumer ear plugs! Little 9v battery powered transitor radios were freedom & noise pollution.
I have decent stereo systems in three rooms a quad system in one & a 5.1 in the living room along with the better stereo.
I try to listen in reasonable quality most days & when listening with h/phones it's a decent set and a quite good portable digital player (Colorfly C3) - wav & flac files only.
Interesting that they've posted the essay on quality on utub (though they've HD options).

just read these:

24/192 Music Downloads are Very Silly Indeed

The Emperor?s New Sampling Rate -- Are CDs Actually Good Enough?

if you go to the link at MIXONLINE....

you'll find this:

"But something is causing people to say they are hearing differences.

If a double-blind test can't confirm those differences, then what's going on?

For one possible reason, let's go back to Moorer's paper that I quoted earlier (called “New Audio Formats: A Time of Change and a Time of Opportunity,” which can be found on his Website, JAM).

Later in the paper, Moorer noted that humans can distinguish time delays — when they involve the difference between their two ears — of 15 microseconds or less. Do the math, and you can see that while the sampling interval at 48 kHz is longer than 15 µs, the sampling interval at 96 kHz is shorter. Therefore, he says, we prefer higher sampling rates because “probably [my emphasis] some kind of time-domain resolution between the left- and right-ear signals is more accurately preserved at 96 kHz.”

It's an interesting starting point for a discussion, but to my knowledge it's never gotten past that point — as a theory, it has never been expanded upon or tested.

i think there is more to it, and no one has really pursued it beyond the Meyer/Moran experiment

When I was a kid I listened to AM radio in mono on a 3 inch speaker on a portable battery operated radio. So nothing has really changed.
Yes......so true. Listened to the Beatles on a cheap B&W TV...............then on a sort of "suitcase" stereo where the speakers swung out from the sides and the turn table with a cheap needle swung open from the front. Who had the money to buy good sound systems.........or even knew what one was? Not siding with the crappy MP3 here.......or the way our music is wrung out before it gets heard.......but to be honest.........the worst ear buds today would have been pure magic in the early days.............and the sound of an MP3 would have been just fine. I guess when you look at it......there never was a time when the artist would or should have been happy with the delivery system or the output or the final sound. "Live" has pretty much always been it.

Mickster;4215912. said:
Who had the money to buy good sound systems.........or even knew what one was? .

In the High School I went to a lot of kids had good stereos, Philips, Pioneer, AR, and a lot of us knew about JBL, and Mcintosh Amplifiers. It was a regular event for five or six kids to get together to listen to records. Share, trade them. Check out the art work.

Had some cheap junk at first, but by 14 I had a quad phono & amp, listening to great stuff. By 16, I was listening to some pretty great Realistic equipment with Klipsch speakers. Dropped the bomb in college to get a set of 701s/301s and now, in my living room is a nice Onkyo 5.1 system with Pioneer speakers, the guestroom has a Bose system (companion 3) and I'm working on my space here. I've listened to music since I can remember and played it since before I can remember. I hear a lot of junk out there, but my ear is getting more in tune than out.

it's sad but also the truth, music sounds aweful and it's going to get worse, it certainly isn't going to be WAV quality again, spotify is going to be around for a long time I think. Can't WAIT to get my 0.004 cents per track, because that's a deal worth living for! whooo! I'll be a millionare when I'm 106 years old.

Dead. They're dead. All the great mastering engineers are dead. Now mastering is done by someone who has earbuds in his head holes all day long so his ears are trashed and he's operating a preset mastering plug-ins and never once rides any faders or watches spectrum analyzers. Hell, he doesn't even know what a spectrum analyzer is! So there's your answer. They're all dead. Aside from early vinyl recordings, there's nothing out there worth the top of the line audiophile listening environment. Don't get me started on the music itself today or on the loudness battle. I'll shoot myself.
Rod Norman
Engineer

The Distortion of Sound [Full Film] - YouTube

makes me kind of sad.

when was the last time you actually sat in front of a really decent playback system and listened to good audio?
(and i don't mean studio monitors....)

Dead. They're dead. All the great mastering engineers are dead. Now mastering is done by someone who has earbuds in his head holes all day long so his ears are trashed and he's operating a preset mastering plug-ins and never once rides any faders or watches spectrum analyzers. Hell, he doesn't even know what a spectrum analyzer is! So there's your answer. They're all dead. Aside from early vinyl recordings, there's nothing out there worth the top of the line audiophile listening environment. Don't get me started on the music itself today or on the loudness battle. I'll shoot myself.
Rod Norman
Engineer

Are you completely out of your mind Rod?

Seriously, you seem to either need help mentally or just possibly a swift internet kick in your seemingly ignorant buttocks. :)

I am starting to think Rod is a trolling member just looking to post sillyness. Hmm..

Back